Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   using engine lift plate, bolted to intake, to lift engine (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21632)

chevyart 08-17-2008 02:39 PM

using engine lift plate, bolted to intake, to lift engine

I bought one of these lift plates and want to use it to install my SBC, with aluminum heads, water pump and intake.to me this seems scarry as only 4 little bolts are holding my engine in the air. could one of you guys out there in chevy land tell me this is ok way to lift engine. thanks chevy art

olds48 08-17-2008 03:45 PM

I have used those on engines with CAST IRON intakes.Use a good bolt and thread it down as far as possible,and tighten it.The threads will engage more and hold stronger if you tighten them,instead of just firnger-tightening.But in MY OWN persoanl opinion,there is NO WAY that I would use a lift plate on an aluminum intake,especially a big block.6-700 pounds is really not that much weight.Spread the load out over 4 bolts,that's only a little over 150 pounds per bolt.And what are they,5/16" bolts?You could probably do it and be okay,but I wouldn't with an aluminum intake.Cast iron,wouldn't scare me.Just my $0.02

hammertime 08-17-2008 03:48 PM

Re: using engine lift plate, bolted to intake, to lift engi

Originally Posted by chevyart
I bought one of these lift plates and want to use it to install my SBC, with aluminum heads, water pump and intake.to me this seems scarry as only 4 little bolts are holding my engine in the air. could one of you guys out there in chevy land tell me this is ok way to lift engine. thanks chevy art

Will be fine I've hauld bbc trans conv with everything on it out of my car and back with them plates.

kwkracing 08-17-2008 04:02 PM

I have also used them to pull out motors and trannies with the plate bolted to a aluminum intake. It looks scary, but i have never had or heard of one having a problem.

Tod74 08-17-2008 04:57 PM

I read a thing in a magazine years ago about this...don't remember the numbers but it talked about how much weight the 4 5/16 bolts could support and what not...it was a bunch.

.I have lifted BBC with trans up and my old heads had most of the intake bolts helicoiled and jury rigged...old 074 alum.heads

zipper06 08-17-2008 10:57 PM

Yep i question that too. although i wouldn't do it i often use a 2 bolt lift using the intake manifold bolts, probably weaker than the intake bolts. i don't know which is better, but every time i install an engine i'm scared of dropping it, especially when nothing lines up as it should. What i changed to is a rope that wraps around the front and back of the engine. I know it sounds stupid, but that's the way i do it. I did have a friend who dropped an engine with the carb plate lift and it broke the front crank jurnal, that's what changed my thinking.
I swore it would never hapen to me.

JMO

Zip.

olds48 08-18-2008 01:51 PM

A 2 bolt lifting against the shoulders of the bolts is alot stronger than a straight pull against aluminum threads.Just my opinoin.And like I have said before...my opinion and $0.50 will get you a cheap cup of coffee :D

chevyart 08-18-2008 05:21 PM

lifting engine with carb bolts

thanks guys for the input. i think i will go with the general opinion(olds 48) and make my own lift plates , 4 separate pieces of metal bolted to back and fronts of heads. Im scarred of that plate and im a firm believer taking a real prudent, safe way to install my baby(engine) the safest way thanks alot chevy art

gearhead1011 08-18-2008 10:58 PM

I couldn't count the number of engines and engine/trans assemblys I've pulled and installed with a carb. plate and never had a problem, aluminum intakes and all. Think about this, would you trust one bolt that was 1 1/4" diameter because that's what four 5/16" bolts are equal to. I bet your chain isn't that big.

6970nova 08-20-2008 02:23 AM

lift plate

a single grade 5 5/16 bolt has 6300 lbs tensile strength use it and dont worry