Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   A Must Read...its long but I think you will be amused !!!! (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32302)

bjuice 07-09-2012 11:10 AM

A Must Read...its long but I think you will be amused !!!!

Alright Guys I debated on sharing this or Not but after thinking about it a day or so I see No reason why Not. I just will not use names etc… It’s some long reading but I think you will find it amusing,
Most of you know I have had my car up for sale on RJ. Since the Mid part of May I had the car in the chassis Shop getting it upgraded to a 7.50 Certification. The floor work was so extensive according to the NHRA tech that he gave it a 25-4 7.50 Cert meaning its good up to 3600lbs. Point Blank it’s the best Certification a Mild steel car can get. Any lower must be a Chrome moly…Anyhow you got the jest of what I had done to the car.

I had two Guys lined up that was willing to pay 100% cash price for my car, but being a man of honor I entered a handshake deal over the phone giving this one man the 1st shot at car. Our deal a certain amount of cash and a 66 Nova he owned. I saw in the pics that his Nova would need my touch or should I say my taste on the car in that it sat up in the rear like a true 1970 air shock car…lol….that was all good I told the Buyer that I would have that fixed and get it down to where I like it…..I got a pic of the motor which was a Shafiroff 582ci pump gas motor (800hp)…No where close to my Big Chief 632ci but that was ok my purpose was to down grade anyhow.

So I sent this guy many Pictures, As many as I had. I was 210% straight up with the guy on everything even took pictures of the chassis up grades as it progressed. I told him the car had been painted 5 or 6 years and there were minor and I mean MINOR Knicks here and there from running at the race track. The front end is fiber glass and sometime you have to just push the right fender a little forward so when you open the door it would not make any minor contact. All this was tighten down the Zeus faster bracket…minor stuff
I never made the effort to fix because it never posed a problem because the door opened and shut 99.9% of the time and the body lines were perfect..after you made a full pass at 160mph 1/8 mile you might have to slightly and gentley push the fender forward..like I said I could have fixed it with 2 new pop rivets... :D

So here goes. I hook up the 36ft trailer loaded the car and the wife and little girl and headed toward Roanoke Va…330 miles one way…pulling this trailer cost me a few hundred in fuel plus it was hot.

Finally got there and met the potential buyer and his father in a parking lot. I unloaded the car and he starts walking around the car with his hand on his chin pointing out minor and I MEAN MINOR Knicks….his father opens the drivers door and sees there is a small bolt missing from the inside door latch…the door closes and opens just fine by the way !!!!…I might have had a bolt this size in my tool box and could have fixed it on the spot but little did they know it was over at that point in my mind..….it was 105 degrees the day I loaded the car with 100% humidity and my forearm touched the roof. The buyer said “What is this”? I walked over and licked my hand and wiped it off and told him “Its Sweat”…..now keep in mind they never did say they didn’t want the car…And I been doing this for a long time so I figured at this point they were trying to set me up for a Jew down cash offer then what we agreed UPON….I looked over at my wife without them seeing me and I shook my head…she knew what that was. It meant
I wasn’t selling or trading the car to him No matter what at this point….Now keep in mind they have not said they didn’t want the car…I asked the buyer twice and point blank “ Did I Misrepresent this car in Anyway” he said “ NO you did not” I just couldn’t see some of these Knicks in the pictures. I told him listen man I told you about every scratch, nook and crevice in this car. I told him and his father that this is a real race car that has won multiple 10.5 Outlaw races, it’s NOT a trailer queen. I told them I have seen 200k plus Sheppard race cars at 10.5 ORSCA races held together with duct tape in some areas. And I went on to say that this car has run 6 years in the outlaw class putting 2,000 HP to the ground and the minor things you are pointing out for this type car is very MIINOR.
This is where my Nod to the wife comes in …I said “Guys I am loading up my car and headed back to SC.” Then the buyer said “You do not want to look at my car”?
I said “ NAHHHHH”. The after 5 minutes of saying good bye cause Ii am a nice guy, the father said well why not look at our car since we both have driven so Far…..Well this just confirmed to me my original suspicion that all that Bull$hit walking around my car working me for a Jew down was correct…Why else would they still want me to look at their car ?...So I said what the hell why not…as soon as they dropped the back door on their trailer I thought OMG !...The car was jacked up like a tractor…as long as I been doing this my eye’s go straight to the weld work. The 1st thing I saw as I walked in the trailer was the intersecting bars that go thru the back seat area. The weld work look like someone put Bubble gum in there then tried to grind it down to not look so bad…which is a NO,NO…As I moved forward I saw the interior was covered with a grayish indoor/outdoor type carpet, same in the trunk and even had the inside cage and dash wrapped in the same $hit…I said OMG I cannot believe this guy was just over there knocking my car for Minor,minor,minor scratches and he had this piece sitting in his trailer…Now I will say the engine set up was Nice but that’s it…I would not been seen in that car…and it would be way to much money to try and get it to my standards…..So they wanted to start point out stuff on the car like “ here’s the new struts ect…”…I did not want to be mean or nasty, So I looked at both of them and said I been doing this along time and the 1st thing I am drawn to is the welding job…then I went on to say my car was mig welded but if you noticed I had professionals do it and if you don’t know any better you would think it was Tig welded the welds looks like a tight roll of Nickels….So in other words I told them their car had Pitiful job in the area of welding…maybe they got it maybe they didn’t…….I walked out of their trailer got in my truck and started home…I never told him but if I would have looked at his car first I never would have bother pulling mine out.

Sorry this was so long but it had to be to get the full story…..And another reason why you go in person and look at another car…take someone with you if you do not know that much about weld jobs etc….

Ok that was my weekend,,,, My Nova is back home…I will still sell it but its all cash or nothing from this point forward.

Ps: Rabbit has been to my house and looked my Nova up and down just ask him how the paint and body is…..

edited for spelling

Harbone 07-09-2012 11:31 AM

Well the good thing is you had some quality road time with the family.
I have been there and done that a few times over the years, thats why I have sold my last 4 cars outright and bought the last 3 with cash in hand.
You just cant trust people anymore, especially on trades. Their car is always the best till you get there and see it in person.
It stinks when you are more honest than you could ever be and the party on the other end just wants to get the best of you!

BEAST477 07-09-2012 12:06 PM

Sorry it didn't work out Brian. At least you know what you came home with. Been there done that myself.

TheYellaBrick 07-09-2012 03:30 PM

Like 'bone said, Family time, and chalk it up to experience. All DOUGH or NO GO.....at least you didn't have vehicle troubles out in that heat !

TheRabbit 07-09-2012 05:35 PM

BJ, The evening I was at your house I spent a LOT of time looking at your car. I wasn't looking at it to nit pick or look for imperfections. I was there to met you and check out the car. We after all are both gear heads and anything fast is simply cool.

I have a pretty good eye and really like high quality work and IMO if those guys were serious about buying your car, the second you rolled it out they should have tossed you a bag of money, loaded up the car and hauled ass before you had a chance to change your mind! NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I HAVE GIVEN YOU TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT AND CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!

Those guys farted around and lost the nicest car they will ever own! You and I talked on the phone the other day and like I told you, that car is a nice investment. It's a classic and it will only increase in value over time. I just hate that you had through so much to get it certified, but on the positive side it really needed to be done and it will increase the value to the RIGHT BUYER.

PS. Sorry it didn't work out, but I'm kinda glad you didn't sell it :wink: It's one of my favorite cars!

TheYellaBrick 07-09-2012 06:03 PM

Addendum; Those guys did NOT deserve your car no matter how much they woulda paid. It would be a pile of crap in 2 weeks.[/b]

mopar1968 07-09-2012 07:10 PM

Brian sorry it didn't work out, I would have done the samething :!: :!:

Mark

bjuice 07-09-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by TheRabbit
BJ, The evening I was at your house I spent a LOT of time looking at your car. I wasn't looking at it to nit pick or look for imperfections. I was there to met you and check out the car. We after all are both gear heads and anything fast is simply cool.

I have a pretty good eye and really like high quality work and IMO if those guys were serious about buying your car, the second you rolled it out they should have tossed you a bag of money, loaded up the car and hauled ass before you had a chance to change your mind! NO WAY IN HELL WOULD I HAVE GIVEN YOU TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT AND CHANGE YOUR MIND!!!

Those guys farted around and lost the nicest car they will ever own! You and I talked on the phone the other day and like I told you, that car is a nice investment. It's a classic and it will only increase in value over time. I just hate that you had through so much to get it certified, but on the positive side it really needed to be done and it will increase the value to the RIGHT BUYER.

PS. Sorry it didn't work out, but I'm kinda glad you didn't sell it :wink: It's one of my favorite cars!

thanks Rabbit I started to call you on my way back just to tell you what happened.

thanks Bone,DD,Mopar, Beast for your feedback
I have been shuffled on the phone before but never in person like that...dang ! lol :lol:

outlaw256 07-10-2012 12:49 AM

right there is why i dont trade.i will sell.and buy but i DO NOT TRADE.sorry boss but like the other guys said you got to ride for awhile with the family. thats a good thing right.

DirkaDirka 07-10-2012 05:17 AM

Sorry it didnt work out man. I am actually glad it didnt work out. I wanted to run against that beast when I got mine finished and going. Even tho that will prolly be in about another year. :P