Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Strongest starter and flywheel (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24623)

Birddog95 06-15-2009 12:20 PM

Strongest starter and flywheel

Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.

Birddog95 06-15-2009 12:22 PM

Sorry, just realized I posted in the wrong forum section :oops:

hammertime 06-15-2009 01:20 PM

Re: Strongest starter and flywheel

Originally Posted by Birddog95
Having problems this weekend with turning over a hot motor, we ended up chewing up the teeth on our flywheel. What is the strongest starter/ flywheel combo out there? I have a B&M flex in this car (same in our old car) and the flywheel just didn't seem to last. I put in a billet CSR flywheel in our old car(before we sold the car) that seemed to work well.

I went through a bunch of them high dollar and non-high dollar, there is usually a reason it chews up flexplates not a cheap flexplate issue.

Do you have a start retard or does the voltage drop off a lot when cranking ?

Birddog95 06-15-2009 03:15 PM

Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!

fla1976 06-15-2009 04:02 PM

Starter

Are you running a Ford solenoid in the starter system? If not, it may be a good investment. It allows more current to flow to the starter. Just a suggestion.

hammertime 06-15-2009 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Birddog95
Another guy asked me about the start retard (I don't have one) but I never thought about the volt drop. I better check the size of wire to the starter and volts during cranking- Thanks!

I went through this last year, before testing everything and finding a voltage issue wasnt helping matters.

THERATTLER 06-17-2009 07:53 AM

I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL :D

hammertime 06-17-2009 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by maniac
I USED TO GO THROUGH THOSE MINI STARTERS LIKE CRAZY , THEN I RELIZED I HAD A START RETARD BUILT INTO MY 7AL3 , I HOOKED IT UP AND HAVN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE...PAUL :D

very suprising, being the al3 has 25degrees start timing pulled out usually causes tons of issues instead of helps.

chevyfireball 06-17-2009 11:30 PM

My old 6AL had a start retard. real easy to set. Motor turned over like a street car.

dparker 06-18-2009 05:04 AM

Maybe they get more time to cool down. Mine will start better cold with the start retard but will kick back when its hot. Since I start more after its warmed up I don't run mine.