Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Uggggg. Why angle plugs??? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18673)

Blue68Camaro 10-18-2007 06:18 PM

Uggggg. Why angle plugs???

Why are angle plugs angled? I bought a set of headers that are supposed to work with "most" angle plugs and i still have serious clearence issues. At least with these i can get the plugs in the heads but i am not sure if there is room for the boots. I have the MSD 8.8 wires and the have thick boots. They are gonna be touching the headers for sure.

I dont know what else to do. I dont know if i should even use these headers??

Anybody got any ideas?

I have Brodix Track 1 heads BTW.

curtisreed 10-18-2007 06:21 PM

Have you looked into the short accel plugs?

edvancedengines 10-18-2007 06:40 PM

Dimple the headers with a round pipe or socket where they get close. Use the 90 deg boots, As was said use the Accel Plugs. If you dimple with a hammer Or for that matter anything, Hold it solid and hit it with another hammer. This is a lot easier if the heater has been heated with a torch at the palce you want to dimple it. Don't go wild and crazy and just start beating on it. Correctly dimpled headers cause no restriction and still look good.

Ed

Blue68Camaro 10-18-2007 06:44 PM

I contacted accel about some plugs but they told me that they dont have any that would fit? Brodix recomends two different plugs either Autolite 52 or in a newer catalogthey recomend NGK5671A-8. If you got an accel part nuber that will work for one of those i will try it.
Or autolite 64. That was the plugs that came with the engine???

Racefab57 10-18-2007 06:51 PM

the other thing you can do is use s. plug boot fireproof covers, I believe MSD makes them! My buddy uses them and they work ok!!! Ill check with him to see who's they are!!! David.

cepx111 10-18-2007 10:12 PM

The idea was that by repositioning the plug in the combustion chamber closer to the exhaust valve you get a more complete burn, Chevy engineers moved the location of the plug towards the exhaust valve to improve flame propagation. But, by moving the position of the spark plug in "straight" heads, similar gains were realized.
They are suppose to get you few more ponies, and believe it or not header clearance in some applications, go figure.

Cp

zipper06 10-18-2007 10:35 PM

Re: Uggggg. Why angle plugs???

Originally Posted by Blue68Camaro
Why are angle plugs angled? I bought a set of headers that are supposed to work with "most" angle plugs and i still have serious clearence issues. At least with these i can get the plugs in the heads but i am not sure if there is room for the boots. I have the MSD 8.8 wires and the have thick boots. They are gonna be touching the headers for sure.

I dont know what else to do. I dont know if i should even use these headers??

Anybody got any ideas?

I have Brodix Track 1 heads BTW.

Which headers did you buy? I think i recommended the hooker 1 7/8" super comp headers which have the stahl patern and they come with 1/4" adaptor plates which spaces the headers out 1/4" more. This is what i run with my track 1 heads and have no problems with 90* boots and the recommended NGK plugs, i can also change the plugs with a socket and an open end wrench (when the engine is cold} But like others have said a small dimple does not restrict flow.

JMO

Zip.

davebat 10-20-2007 09:36 PM

OMG! Can't believe you told him to take a hammer to those headers!!

thetanman101 10-21-2007 05:15 AM

:twisted: Gotta do what you gotta do :twisted: I prefer the 4 lbs. hammer myself :wink: :wink: :shock: :arrow:

-Tanner

rabiddawg 10-21-2007 01:10 PM

just use some header adapter plates