Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   1st Time out lastnight (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20705)

bowtie4542001 05-03-2008 12:53 PM

1st Time out lastnight

Hey guys, went to test the Vega lastnight and it was a pretty decent night. This Vega drives so much different than the Nova I had. I still did not get it all the way down the track yet. I was playing around with starting line rpms, air pressure and cleaning my underwear out every run. I kept wanting to snatch the wheel coming off the line and end up going sideways most of the time. I told the track personel that I wanted solo runs so I wouldn't put no one else in danger. I started of with 7psi in the rear tires and ended up staying at 6psi for my last 3 runs. My best pass of the night was the last one. I peddeled like three times and still ran a 6.64 at 101mph letting off about 3/4 down the track. Pretty inpresive I would have to say. I finally have a car that is intimidating. I believe once I get a handle on this thing, I should be down in the low 6's or high 5's. My next time out for testing will be this Friday when I go to Commerce for the Pinks All Out show. :D :D

Chris

jerryms 05-03-2008 05:39 PM

what ci. are you running? i just got back today from test-tune,i have a 74 vega 388 sbc naturaly aspirated,runs 6.05's 115mph - 9.51 143mph with 13.5 psi in the tires. anything less and its all over the place at upper end.im running 31x13s yours look bigger.nice car.......

Tod74 05-03-2008 06:41 PM

I would start off with around 8-10 psi. as long as it don't spin keep adding air till it does. Then maybe try it a little lower and see where it 60 fts the best

JMO ...I aint been at this as long as most of ya. I know I can roll my car out of the garage way easier with 30 psi in the tires than when it has 10. Know what I mean? :D

zipper06 05-03-2008 09:05 PM

I agree with Tod on this one, run as much air as you can without spinning the tires, it will fo sure handle better on top end.
I run 10.5lbs to 12.0 on my Malibu. Anything less than 10.5 the car handle like crap on top end. My car is considerably heaver than the Vega @ 3250lbs, but on top end the car doesn't know how much it weighs.

JMO

Zip.

bowtie4542001 05-04-2008 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by jerryms
what ci. are you running? i just got back today from test-tune,i have a 74 vega 388 sbc naturaly aspirated,runs 6.05's 115mph - 9.51 143mph with 13.5 psi in the tires. anything less and its all over the place at upper end.im running 31x13s yours look bigger.nice car.......

I am running a 406 that I got from bjuice. I added a set off aluminum bowtie heads. I have never driven a tube chassis car with a strut front end and this short of wheel base. I have raced Novas ever since I started back in 85.

I will try a little more pressure in the tires next time as well. I was just going off what the last owner was running. I am running a 14.5 x 15 x 32 Goodyear on the back.

Also the track I tested at is a pretty bad track. Really narrow, I went there originally to see how she launched and run a half track pass. I have never liked LaGrange (Troop County). But it was the only one I could get to in a reasonable amount of time after I got off work.
Thanks for the advice. Keep them coming.

Chris