Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Thermostat for sbc with ali heads? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30440)

cbtlr 05-24-2011 09:31 PM

Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

I have currently mounted the Edlebrock Performers on my sbc.After this upgrade about 2 weeks ago I am running a 160 thermo.I have not had a prob as of yet.There is much debate on what temp thermo should be ran on a street aluminum head.That a 160 will not let the engine reach its operating temp and cause the engine to have a short life.A fellow racer advised me to run a 160.
I have found via the net that ali heads run their best at 190 to 195 degrees and the oil will reach its operating temp to protect the engine.
I had my engine rebuilt when I had the heads mounted.I just want to make sure not to crack a head or blow a head gasket or even worst.

Any input is welcomed.Thanks..

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:00 PM

Re: Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

Originally Posted by cbtlr
I have found via the net that ali heads run their best at 190 to 195 degrees and the oil will reach its operating temp to protect the engine.

Hmm, let me get this straight, you want to raise the oil temps to help "protect" the engine, that's pure brillance right there dip chit! :?

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by cepx111

Hmm, let me get this straight, you want to raise the oil temps to help "protect" the engine, that's pure brillance right there dip chit! :?

Thanks huckleberry.. :x The oil must reach a certain temp to protect.Guess thats why no one will thump around the pits to warm their engines up before making a pass.You're the brilliant one mister..Does trans fluid and rear gear oil come to mind butt nugget?

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:33 PM

Thanks huckleberry.. :x The oil must reach a certain temp to protect.Guess thats why no one will thump around the pits to warm their engines up before making a pass.You're the brilliant one mister..Does trans fluid and rear gear oil come to mind butt nugget?

Look here rump ranger, I find your posts less than entertaining, go phuck yourself!

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:36 PM

Look here rump ranger, I find your posts less than entertaining, go phuck yourself!

What neck of the woods you come from phuckstick?

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:38 PM

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:39 PM

Neck of the woods?
Well looky here Huckleberry, we got ourselves a bonafied redneck right cheer....

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:43 PM

Neck of the woods?
Well looky here Huckleberry, we got ourselves a bonafied redneck right cheer....

Bonafied your ass fist phucker..

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:46 PM

Neck of the woods?

You bout a dumb sumbitch aint cha...lol

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:49 PM

Neck of the woods?

You bout a dumb sumbitch aint cha...lol

I learned from the best ass clown..You'er not too shabby yourself..

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:50 PM

I got an idea, why don't you shove that 190 thermastat up ur azz sideways phuckstick :twisted:

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:52 PM

You've come along way grasshopper. :wink:

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:52 PM

I got an idea, why don't you shove that 190 thermastat up ur azz sideways phuckstick :twisted:

Its a 160 stat tranny chaser. :shock:Bet you like it sideways ass clap.

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:55 PM

Its a 160 stat tranny chaser. :shock:

Tranny, now your bring your better half into the convo>? Oh man, that is lame....

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:55 PM

Yes sir with alot of help from a good old friend running 5.60s in the 8th.

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:55 PM

Its a 160 stat tranny chaser. :shock:Bet you like it sideways ass clap.

Whatever it takes to get some friction butt munch. :shock:

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:56 PM

I think we are off topic.....

cbtlr 05-25-2011 12:12 AM

Off topic?Ok ass muncher whatever!!!!!

wazup 05-25-2011 06:00 AM

The only temp out of range is you two guys, cool down! :lol:

cbtlr you dont have to beleive everything you here. The 160 stat is fine, as for the oil temp the hotter you get it the faster it will brake down.

Anyone that i know warms up there cars before they make a pass, we take are car and put it up on stands and warm up all the fluids.

The forum is here for help. :) some times its better to ask when your not sure, dumb or not!

gearhead1011 05-25-2011 08:12 AM

Actually there is a certain logic in a warmer engine protecting parts. I have found from personal experience and from advice from a guy that is way smarter than me (and probably everyone else on this board) that you don't get complete combustion when the combustion chamber (including cylinder heads) is too cool. Incomplete combustion=unburned fuel=washed down cylinders & contaminated oil. That's never a good thing for engine wear.

I won't get into a war here but cepx111 if you're going to use the kind of language you have in this thread you really ought to take God out of your sig. I think it gives the wrong impression.

wazup 05-25-2011 10:26 AM

I agree gearhead. I have been working on cars and race engines for 30 plus years and have been a shop owner for the past 14 years. I only put my two cent in to try and let the guy know he would be ok with 160 stat. Just trying to help.

Some pepole are to smart for there own good and think they know everything.

lsrholder 05-25-2011 12:18 PM

Unbiased opinion from a blue belly, who doesn't live in a trailer, but my car does. :D

It has been proven that the best conditions for a drag engine are:

Staging lane procedures.

Warm oil, thru heaters.... and lukewarm coolant. The oil has started to reach it's best consistency for proper lubrication, less oil pump drag. Lukewarm coolant allows clearances to stabilize, maximizing performance.

For street operation the higher stat will prevent milky oil conditions and allow the optimizing of the oils additives. Don't forget, the rating of the stat is for "in the block" coolant temperature, then it opens. The rest of the cooling system must be capable of lowering this coolant to a suitable temp before it enters the engine again.

Inside the water jackets, the only coolant that absorbs heat is the coolant in contact with the engines passages.... that's the outer boundary layer. Unless there is turbulence inside , so that the "inner" wall of coolant may come into contact with the engines passages, and absorb more heat and carry it away.

If the cooling system isn't bled and air is permitted to remain inside, steam pockets form. The incoming cooler fluid hits the steam or hot spot, boils, and you don't have any thermal exchange, because the coolant is vaporized.

Hope this helps, as my vocabulary most certainly has with this thread :shock: :shock:

cepx111 05-25-2011 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by gearhead1011
cepx111 if you're going to use the kind of language you have in this thread you really ought to take God out of your sig. I think it gives the wrong impression.

Yeah your probably right.....like I care what you think :wink:

TheYellaBrick 05-26-2011 07:27 AM

cepx111 if you're going to use the kind of language you have in this thread you really ought to take God out of your sig. I think it gives the wrong impression.

Both of the original two posters are guilty of letting this thread get 'too hot headed'. "WTF ! Over !"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bjuice 06-01-2011 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD

Both of the original two posters are guilty of letting this thread get 'too hot headed'. "WTF ! Over !"

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Its all a Joke DD My friend and I wouldn't bite until now.....Charlie pm'ed me over on the classifieds apologzing and so forth a few months back..I told him no problem all is well with me...then he gets on here acting and talking like he was raised in a Cave in IRAN.

At least when he was here on this forum he had manners and didn't use that kind of language...but you know people like him that are followers will act just like the people they are around...

Good luck Charlie you are one weak individual Sir...and yes I would say this standing Nose to Nose with you all 6ft 2 inches 235 lbs of me !!!...Count on it !!....Tn aint that far from S.C....come on over and be my Pit man one weekend and let me show you how a real CAR suppose to run.... and I will teach you some manners to take back with you...you punk .

Read this thread of where ole CEPX111 first went over to YB...the way I read the post was his Ex-wife and Kids have to survive on Welfare because he doesn't give enough support to them to survive...trust me they would not be getting welfare if he gave them enough to at least Eat....yes folks thats who we are dealing with here....

I dunno you read it and make your own conclusion...

Now I am 100% done with this Clown...stay over on Yb for Good you punk !

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...hlight=CEPX111

cepx111 06-01-2011 09:10 PM

LMFAO, like I care what YOU think on me, :lol: your so vane Brian it's pathetic.

Your not even worth a reply but what the heck, I figure this will be my last post, I'll keep it brief....

You know nothing about me, my family, our my friends, yet you feel qualified to pass judgement, that really shows charactor, or the lack there of I should say.....
Do us both a favor and just ban me, I asked for it in a earlier post, one you were obviously were too busy to read or this thread would of never happened, so get with the program PHUCKSTICK and BAN ME!!!!

Oh and one more thing....

Your right, Tn ain't far, so bring IT is all I can say... but I'll tell you what, I wouldn't walk across the street to meet your stupid azz, just saying....

Now, GO PHUCK YOURSELF.....

wazup 06-01-2011 09:18 PM

Man, that guy is a real jackass.

Bjuice, you would have more help than you need if he showed up at the track in S.C. after the bs he wrote on yb.

cepx111 06-01-2011 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by wazup
Man, that guy is a real jackass.

Bjuice, you would have more help than you need if he showed up at the track in S.C. after the bs he wrote on yb.

STFU nut hugging NEWBIE, give brian a reach around while your at it.

wazup 06-01-2011 09:40 PM

I have never new enyone who hated life as you do. I am alot better than you and will never be bring myself to reach your level. I dont hate on pepole like you do no matter what, was not raised that way as far newbe gose i dont care.

I have 4 daughters and 7 grandkids and coming on here to shoot the bs and maybe help someone and have some fun with some of the guys here. So say what you want.

YOU ARE STILL A "JACKASS"

cepx111 06-01-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by wazup
I have never new enyone who hated life as you do. I am alot better than you and will never be bring myself to reach your level. I dont hate on pepole like you do no matter what, was not raised that way as far newbe gose i dont care.

I have 4 daughters and 7 grandkids and coming on here to shoot the bs and maybe help someone and have some fun with some of the guys here. So say what you want.

YOU ARE STILL A "JACKASS"

I love life, if you KNEW me then you'd know that but you obviously DON'T so SAVE it old man....

Do yourself a favor JACKAZZ, stay out of this, this is not your fight, so move along now....

wazup 06-02-2011 01:37 PM

You opened the door!!!! :roll: