Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is it legal to sell VIN tags and title.. (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29344)

Harbone 12-04-2010 09:16 AM

Is it legal to sell VIN tags and title..

Heres an ad I stumbled across, isnt this illegal??

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/1...-serial-s.html

TS1955 12-04-2010 09:30 AM

From what I understand I do believe it's illegal.

TS1955

MEMRACING62 12-04-2010 10:11 AM

from what I understand selling the firewall and using a part of it in the new car is legal( camaro rebody) but you must use a portion of the firewall, read this about a camaro being redone & also on a tri-chevy being rebodyed & is legal. tags only is NOT.

Tod74 12-04-2010 04:17 PM

it's a felony to mess with a vin tag at all, if the guys on the chevelle board are correct.

bigray 12-04-2010 10:26 PM

hummm, i have to slightly disagree, u can in Oklahoma, do a build, and place a new/used vin from a donor car, as long as you have proof of the build and a clean bill of sale for the donor Vin, we did it on a 40 ford coupe, and after the build, we had to take it to the okla highway patrole Insp, station in tulsa, for a Insp, and show all the Pics of the build and Receipt's, and it shows on the title, that it is not the original Vin plate, and after the fact, he said, oklahoma would have just giving us a new plate,,after the build and the state insp. but i bet there is a few people that do the old, out with the hot car Vin plate, and in with the donor vin plate,

mopar1968 12-04-2010 10:33 PM

You can do it in Virginia as long as it is inspected by state police.

Tod74 12-05-2010 05:38 AM

I thought that in that in the above situations, the police would issue you another number and title,rather than useing one from a donor car.

Tod74 12-05-2010 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by bigray
hummm, i have to slightly disagree, u can in Oklahoma, do a build, and place a new/used vin from a donor car, as long as you have proof of the build and a clean bill of sale for the donor Vin, we did it on a 40 ford coupe, and after the build, we had to take it to the okla highway patrole Insp, station in tulsa, for a Insp, and show all the Pics of the build and Receipt's, and it shows on the title, that it is not the original Vin plate, and after the fact, he said, oklahoma would have just giving us a new plate,,after the build and the state insp. but i bet there is a few people that do the old, out with the hot car Vin plate, and in with the donor vin plate,

The older cars ( chevelles at least)cars have con vins. Hidden numbers on the frame and body that jive with the numbers on the vikn plate. mY CHEVELLEhas one behind the heater box and on top of the frame. you have to know where to look.

mopar1968 12-05-2010 07:47 AM

I had to get a title for a Drag car about 4 years ago. DMV sends out a trooper to find VIN number on the car so they can run it and make sure it isn't stolen or anything, Now he told me that the Vin number on the frame was a myth.Because car's get totaled and the frames either get replaced or repaired he said the vin is in three places and it is only the last 6 of the vin not the whole vin. {1} Left top of raditor support {2} remove blower motor look at edge where motor mounts {3} remove left rear speaker and look on flange where speaker mounts. I checked all three places and it was there. He used the one on raditor support.Now this was on a Mopar others could be different. JMO Mark

TheYellaBrick 12-05-2010 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by mopar1968
I had to get a title for a Drag car about 4 years ago. DMV sends out a trooper to find VIN number on the car so they can run it and make sure it isn't stolen or anything, Now he told me that the Vin number on the frame was a myth.Because car's get totaled and the frames either get replaced or repaired he said the vin is in three places and it is only the last 6 of the vin not the whole vin. {1} Left top of raditor support {2} remove blower motor look at edge where motor mounts {3} remove left rear speaker and look on flange where speaker mounts. I checked all three places and it was there. He used the one on raditor support.Now this was on a Mopar others could be different. JMO Mark

Hey Mark ! THAT is great info !! THANKS !!