Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Best way to warm up an alcohol motor???? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20787)

jrthone 05-10-2008 11:14 PM

Best way to warm up an alcohol motor????

I have a 632 BBC Brodix bb3Xtra Ported heads , 15.5 C/R, Tunnel ram with bugcather and direct port methanol injection. Whats the best way to warm up my motor before going racing. Do i lean it out on idle to warm it up or just run it at med RPM after i have gained oil pressure.Every body here tells me differant things.I would like to start a discussion to see if i can settle it.

triniemi 05-10-2008 11:58 PM

How about electric heating system? You won't spoil your oil with alcohol when idling and the heat is needed in the oil, not in the heads. Just ask NHRA Pro Stock racers. You even could adjust valvelash cold?

Tod74 05-11-2008 05:08 AM

Run it on gas for a little while when you start it. Make a primer system out of a n2o plate and solenoid.

demented 05-11-2008 05:28 AM

Re: Best way to warm up an alcohol motor????

Originally Posted by jrthone
I have a 632 BBC Brodix bb3Xtra Ported heads , 15.5 C/R, Tunnel ram with bugcather and direct port methanol injection. Whats the best way to warm up my motor before going racing. Do i lean it out on idle to warm it up or just run it at med RPM after i have gained oil pressure.Every body here tells me differant things.I would like to start a discussion to see if i can settle it.

I do the same thing. run the motor with the fuel shut-off half way.I do this for two reasons, one obviously warm the motor, but this way, in my opinion, warms more than just the oil, you are heating the entire motor, and two, it helps start warming up the tranny fluid and convertor. Most guys forget about the tranny when they warm up the car. I have been doing this for years now and oil contamination is held to a minimum due to less fuel being used from the fuel shutoff being partially closed and it does warm up pretty quick this way. Hope this helps.

I also have a gas primer set up on my fogger system. works good, because your squirting fuel down each cylinder.

us7race 05-11-2008 06:00 AM

Seems like I see alot of guys add a lean out valve to help warm them up.
A controlled vacuum leak...

lookingaround 05-11-2008 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by us7race

x2 jody. thats how my boss use to do his cars.

dcarr511 05-11-2008 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by us7race

I think thats what the guys running carbs do, could be mistaken ... those I know that are Injected use the shut off valve for the first start up of the day and are then usually set.

curtisreed 05-11-2008 07:43 AM

Re: Best way to warm up an alcohol motor????

Originally Posted by jrthone

That is exactly how we warm up our injected car. The advantage to an injector in this case is you are putting in less alcohol so it will not milk the oil. We have now installed oil heaters in all of our cars so it is warmed to lesson how long we have to run the motor for warm-up. Running the motor rpm up when it is cold is just wear and tear it doesn't need in my opinion because the clearances are not taken up until you get some heat in the motor.

Curtis