Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   User Feedback & Scammer watch (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need some help with a scammer! (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31072)

shaggs87 10-07-2011 09:02 AM

Need some help with a scammer!

Any help would be appreciated! I have been recently scammed by a member here on RJ.
The user id is junior1941.
Here's the ad number 2308283, and a link to the ad http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Co...te-engine.html.

I paid this guy and last heard from him on 9/26/11. It's now 12 days later, and still nothing, no engine delivered, no pm's, no phone calls. Nothing! I've contacted RJ support, and can't get any account information without a subpoena. RJ support has been great with email responses, thanks for that! I have the guys email address, bank account information, but never got a name, phone number, or address. I know, I didn't do my homework on the seller!

What do you guys think I should do next? I really don't want to let this guy get away! Thanks again for any help!

Scorpion1110 10-08-2011 04:07 AM

Re: Need some help with a scammer!

Originally Posted by shaggs87
Any help would be appreciated! I have been recently scammed by a member here on RJ.
The user id is junior1941.
Here's the ad number 2308283, and a link to the ad http://www.racingjunk.com/Engines-Co...te-engine.html.

I paid this guy and last heard from him on 9/26/11. It's now 12 days later, and still nothing, no engine delivered, no pm's, no phone calls. Nothing! I've contacted RJ support, and can't get any account information without a subpoena. RJ support has been great with email responses, thanks for that! I have the guys email address, bank account information, but never got a name, phone number, or address. I know, I didn't do my homework on the seller!

What do you guys think I should do next? I really don't want to let this guy get away! Thanks again for any help!

First I am sorry you are having an issue. Before we look at any options for resolution, for new users, what stands out about this add?

*RJ member since 09/01/2011

*No honor payments or is club member - though this wouldnt necessarily be a red flag at the time because when you bought it he might have not have had another sale so no honor payment.

*No phone number posted.

*Payment options- Really worry on Western Union- but its not called out here.

So were these all red flags? Not necessarily, but it probably would be cause to do some research.

So you would get:

Name, address, phone number, email address. Then you would run searches on this info. Always try BING or Dogpile before Google. Why? Everyone goes to Google first and even Google themselves so they know what most will see. The other search engines work differently so often you get different stuff on the early results pages.

Then you run the phone number through www.intellius.com. It tends to be about $20 if you dont allow the site to upsell you.

At this point you should have enough info to re-run your searches and see what comes up. Still no red flags? Final step is post here.

This really should only take 4-5 hours of effort and you should have a good idea of your risk.

Now- the fact that you don't have a name. Thats hard to believe but likely because you thought the price was so good you didnt need it.

Thats probably your red flag - cost. A GM 350 crate fully dressed with 8k miles for $600? MSRP for a 290hp longblock is $2400 from GM Performance. As Bjuice has said, the single biggest helper for a scammer is a low price and buyer greed.

Post up what you have on this thread. The Forum regulars may sniff out some info.

BTW you said you have bank account number- Check with your Bank and if you did a wire or ACH ask them about a reversal. Please dont say you did a western union or moneygram. Because thats always the biggest red flag. (See my post that is stickied at the Scammer Forum Home page).

You have work to do- Expect to write off your $600; chances of recovery are slim.

Scorp

mopar1968 10-08-2011 07:29 AM

I sent him a message let's see if he responds :?: :?:

Mark

shaggs87 10-08-2011 09:44 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. So yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm out the $500 I paid. I was proud that I had talked the guy down a hundred bucks! Not so proud anymore, feeling more foolish than anything for not researching this guy! Anyway, I didn't pay the guy with western union or money gram. I used a person to person transfer from my bank to his. I guess I thought that since I had his account info, that everything was going to be legit. I read some of the stickies that are here for scammers, and it makes me wish I had read them prior to sending any money. I guess I wouldn't be in the predicament I am in now. That is a good idea about calling my bank, I'll do that first thing in the morning. If that doesn't work, I'll try calling his bank, if anything to make them aware of the illegal activities he's making them a part of. If I can't get anywhere with that, I'll start posting the information I have for him, and maybe someone here can find something out! Thanks again guys!

chloe79 10-22-2011 04:42 PM

I am in NewZealand and have also been scammed by this guy...paid out $780 for some brake calipers and havent heard back...I also wired money directly to his account Garcia racing....maybe he has a business set up under this name and someone over in your country could track him down and give him what he deserves.....