Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   What converter are you running (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26777)

travis91 12-21-2009 05:39 PM

What converter are you running

Please tell me whose racing torque converter you are using and if you are happy with its performance. If you replaced a previous converter and have verifyable data to show improvements, please provide gains achieved.

Thanks.

cepx111 12-21-2009 08:27 PM

I have a 8 inch 5800rpm spragless Transmission Specialities converter behind my BBC.

I have run this converter for the last 2 seasons and was pleased with it's performance, thats is... till I found it has over 17% slippage :shock:

I'm pretty sure it was loose from the get go and they do offer one free tweak within the first 6 months. I just never knew it was loose till someone on here ran the numbers for me.

I wouldn't be afraid to buy another one though.

Cp

johnracer 12-22-2009 02:38 AM

I've run Continental for as long as I've racing. In fact I've only had one racing convertor, ever. It's an 8" that I bought in '95. Initially it was set up for my 63 Nova with a 406 and 5000 stall. I had it freshened and restalled to 5500 when I bought my FED, then again to 5800 when I went with a big roller. One more time when I installed the 522RM in my Vette roadster, still at 5800. I"m sending it in again this winter to up the stall a bit more. Kris has always nailed the stall I wanted on the first try with 5-7% slippage.
Johnny

hammertime 12-22-2009 03:48 AM

I've learned over the years converter shops are like car salesman :D

I've tried several brands and the only one not to go back on what they say is Coan ..

call and ask for Art Reed

zipper06 12-22-2009 06:48 AM

I've ran Continental, Hughes, and PTC, current is PTC, and they will stand 100% behind their product. I've had good luck with all of them, never broke one, but PTC is closer for me and will have something in a couple days if necessary.

JMO

Zip.

mytmouz 12-22-2009 07:14 AM

X 2 on PTC. I have used them before and will again. My current convertor is from BTE, good service from them also...

hammertime 12-23-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by mytmouz
X 2 on PTC. I have used them before and will again. My current convertor is from BTE, good service from them also...

I just got my coan converter back from a freshen up it was about 70.00 less then we figured :)

want to add after I got this coan back ... it was 600rpms tighter then it was when I sent it in ... and of course they told me I was down on HP and would not fix it... I wont be back there either

JEFF69Z28 12-24-2009 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by cepx111
I have a 8 inch 5800rpm spragless Transmission Specialities converter behind my BBC.

I have run this converter for the last 2 seasons and was pleased with it's performance, thats is... till I found it has over 17% slippage :shock:

I'm pretty sure it was loose from the get go and they do offer one free tweak within the first 6 months. I just never knew it was loose till someone on here ran the numbers for me.

HOW DID YOU OR WHOEVER FIGURE OUT SLIPPAGE?

Cp

JEFF69Z28 12-24-2009 02:22 AM

8" ATI CONVERTER 4500

johnracer 12-24-2009 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by JEFF69Z28

Originally Posted by cepx111

HOW DID YOU OR WHOEVER FIGURE OUT SLIPPAGE?

Cp

/www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/Calculators.asp