Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Thermostat for sbc with ali heads? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30440)

cbtlr 05-24-2011 09:31 PM

Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

I have currently mounted the Edlebrock Performers on my sbc.After this upgrade about 2 weeks ago I am running a 160 thermo.I have not had a prob as of yet.There is much debate on what temp thermo should be ran on a street aluminum head.That a 160 will not let the engine reach its operating temp and cause the engine to have a short life.A fellow racer advised me to run a 160.
I have found via the net that ali heads run their best at 190 to 195 degrees and the oil will reach its operating temp to protect the engine.
I had my engine rebuilt when I had the heads mounted.I just want to make sure not to crack a head or blow a head gasket or even worst.

Any input is welcomed.Thanks..

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:00 PM

Re: Thermostat for sbc with ali heads?

Originally Posted by cbtlr
I have found via the net that ali heads run their best at 190 to 195 degrees and the oil will reach its operating temp to protect the engine.

Hmm, let me get this straight, you want to raise the oil temps to help "protect" the engine, that's pure brillance right there dip chit! :?

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by cepx111

Hmm, let me get this straight, you want to raise the oil temps to help "protect" the engine, that's pure brillance right there dip chit! :?

Thanks huckleberry.. :x The oil must reach a certain temp to protect.Guess thats why no one will thump around the pits to warm their engines up before making a pass.You're the brilliant one mister..Does trans fluid and rear gear oil come to mind butt nugget?

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:33 PM

Thanks huckleberry.. :x The oil must reach a certain temp to protect.Guess thats why no one will thump around the pits to warm their engines up before making a pass.You're the brilliant one mister..Does trans fluid and rear gear oil come to mind butt nugget?

Look here rump ranger, I find your posts less than entertaining, go phuck yourself!

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:36 PM

Look here rump ranger, I find your posts less than entertaining, go phuck yourself!

What neck of the woods you come from phuckstick?

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:38 PM

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:39 PM

Neck of the woods?
Well looky here Huckleberry, we got ourselves a bonafied redneck right cheer....

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:43 PM

Neck of the woods?
Well looky here Huckleberry, we got ourselves a bonafied redneck right cheer....

Bonafied your ass fist phucker..

cepx111 05-24-2011 11:46 PM

Neck of the woods?

You bout a dumb sumbitch aint cha...lol

cbtlr 05-24-2011 11:49 PM

Neck of the woods?

You bout a dumb sumbitch aint cha...lol

I learned from the best ass clown..You'er not too shabby yourself..