Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   fuel problems (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34113)

talgregory 12-29-2013 08:11 AM

fuel problems

I have a 383 with a f2 procharger on it with a c and s carb with a magnafuel pump 500 on it with 17 pis of boost I was told that I could add another 500 pump and it would fix my problem of running out of fuel is this true the engine running on alcohol

coloradoracerguy 12-29-2013 08:22 AM

How much actual HP are you making? That pump should EASILY supply your motor, even on alcohol.....

Need more details of your fuel system, build, etc.....

talgregory 12-29-2013 09:36 AM

I have a 10 an out of the tank to the pump from the pump to the carb is 10an off the back of the carb it is 12 an to a boost sensitive bypass then to the tank

coloradoracerguy 12-29-2013 04:27 PM

Is the tank sumped? Where is the pump? How close to the tank? Why do you have a -12 on the bypass? What is your pressure set at running? Float levels? Jetting? What is your bypass pressure? What is your line pressure to the regulator? What kind of tank? What size of tank vent?

Lots to consider.....Not as easy as just a couple of lines......

talgregory 12-29-2013 04:55 PM

Yes the pump is in the front of the truck the tank is less than 12 inch from the pump I was told by the people at c&s to run a #12 off the bypass the pump is set at 28 psi the floats are electric the bypass is boost sensitive have no regular. plastic tank with #8 vent

talgregory 12-29-2013 05:05 PM

Yes the pump is in the front of the truck the tank is less than 12 inch from the pump I was told by the people at c&s to run a #12 off the bypass the pump is set at 28 psi the floats are electric the bypass is boost sensitive have no regular. plastic tank with #8 vent

coloradoracerguy 12-29-2013 05:36 PM

So I guess the next question is what makes you think you are running out of fuel?

Have you contacted Magna Fuel and talked to them about your setup?

Is the pump below the level of the tank? Are the float bowls going dry, or is it just lean?

talgregory 12-29-2013 06:53 PM

The pump is right below the tank I have not call magna fuel. The engine is busting up around the 590 mark I had my msd checked replace the distributor new wire and plugs same thing it bust up at the 590 mark

coloradoracerguy 12-30-2013 04:56 PM

Ok, I guess the next question would be why do you think it's fuel? Have you checked valve springs? Timing?

Lots of things can cause your problem, not just fuel. For something like what you have, you need o2 sensors in the exhaust if you don't have them now. I would consider them mandatory. Two will work, but 8 would be better. Are there any tuners there that can help you? From what you are saying, I think you have more problems than you realize, and just targeting one isn't going to fix it. You need to have the whole package looked at and evaluated. I'm not the best, but I do know when things are getting a bit too complicated to try and fix in a forum. The best advice I can offer you is to hold off on the track time and take it to a savvy shop that has a chassis dyno and let them get it tuned for you. It might cost several hundred dollars, but that's certainly cheaper than a meltdown or catastrophic failure at the track.

I hope you get it worked out, sounds like it would be a fun ride!!

oldandtired 12-31-2013 02:15 PM

Arm chair quarterback says to check the valve springs...
JMO