Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Moroso Trick Springs (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22485)

OneFastMalibu 12-12-2008 05:41 PM

Moroso Trick Springs

Does anyone have a trick to getting these installed I have a 78 Malibu I've tried 3 different compressors first one was garbage the next one has 4 hooks and goes in the inside of the spring. I compressed the spring all the way to binding it and it still wouldn't fit. So I ran to another parts store and picked up one that has 2 hooks and goes inside the spring this one has a plate that the bolt hits against. I cranked it down and got the spring to approx. 8 inches hgt and it still didn't fit. If you guys have any tricks on doing this it would be greatly appreciated. The part # for the spring is 47205 it just seems like it is way too long!
Thanks,
Dan

cepx111 12-12-2008 09:16 PM

The last ones I put in I had to end up cutting about a coil and a half off to getem in, ride height was just about perfect too - maybe I just got lucky, but I think they come over-sized to adjust for different ride heights and applications.
Man be carefull, theres alot of tension there and they will hurt you if they come out.
Goodluck, Charles

outlaw256 12-12-2008 10:45 PM

ive put them under a few cars74 nova 55 chevy and a few others. all i ever did if i remember right is have a floor jack under my a arm and went to jacking up. i never had to compress any of them. though on the nova i did have to get the spring in place with a hammer.(bfh). do you have the right springs for your car?i had the cars up high enough where i could push down on the arm far enough to get the spring to start in postion then jacked it on up. i did once have to have a friend sit on a fender cause the car wanted to go up before i got the a arm in place.

Tod74 12-12-2008 10:53 PM

floor jack

also used a big piece of all thread once ..down through the center where the shock would be. I have heard you can have em compressed and banded together then after you instal cut the band

jim383 12-13-2008 04:36 AM

springs

i put some on my mustang,had to cut 2 coil's off to get them right.the threaded rod work's good,and alot safer...

Tod74 12-13-2008 05:06 AM

I bought a set for my NOVA cause the springs that are in it are cut very short and I can't even get a jack under it without ramming it in....I worked my butt off putting those in and the front of the car was wqaaay too high..they needed cut off. I put the short springs back in I wasn't going through that again.

Racefab57 12-13-2008 07:52 AM

Its a bitch! but I used my SNAP-ON spring comp. and with the help of a floor jack and a big tire spoon got them in ,to have to remove them and cut a coil and a half back ot to see what that would do for me and then did it again to get it were I wanted it but in the end it worked ! I took little steps to do it so I wouldnt cut em to short!!!! DR. good luck, most of what we do is a bitch but worth it in the long run!!!!

TheYellaBrick 12-13-2008 09:45 AM

If using a floorjack, it's real nice to have the engine in place as it adds much needed vehicle weight to keep it grounded. OR floor tie downs as in a bodyshop, OR on a frame straightening platform.
Ordering custom made coils for the EXACT application including front end weight is ideal. Then it's a one time install. Using a Heavy Duty replacement usually means for universal street use at stock ride height.

Tod74 12-13-2008 01:08 PM

the ones in my Nova are cut so short it sits completely on the bump stops....I took em out without taking the lower arm off...I bet they aint 12 " tall.

us7race 12-13-2008 08:29 PM

I had the same trouble the same springs (malibu springs fit S10's)
I rented a spring compressor that on the bottom has like a Shoe horn that slides in and the hooks come up from the bottom, hook in and compress as much as possible, then slide it in put the jack under it enough so you can remove the tool. It is kind tough but once you get the 1st one the 2nd one will be much easier...