Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   radial tires vs bias ply on my trailer (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32148)

bixblk 05-23-2012 07:30 PM

radial tires vs bias ply on my trailer

Hey guys , what do you think ?
Is it better to buy radial trailer tires or bias ply. I have a 26 ft enclosed 5200 lb axles, the current tires are cracked on the sidewall. I am looking at a site tire-easy.com. They have value bias ply tires 71 plus shipping, value radials tires 82 plus shipping. All other "specs" the same. what have your experiences been with this situation.Let me know
Thanks Jeff

mopar1968 05-23-2012 07:53 PM

I run radials on my trailer :!: :!:

Mark

outlaw256 05-24-2012 03:42 AM

i run what ever holds air and dont leak.hell its a trailer.i aint ridin in or on it.

MEMRACING62 05-24-2012 03:51 AM

Just bought a new trailer last week...its a PJ trailer and came with load range E truck tires on it....radials.

TheRabbit 05-24-2012 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by MEMRACING62
Just bought a new trailer last week...its a PJ trailer and came with load range E truck tires on it....radials.

X 10,000 on the E rated tires. They cost more, but want have near the problems as the cheaper tires and with the extra air pressure you don't have as much trailer sway.

bixblk 05-24-2012 05:46 AM

appreciate it

thanks, I have the load D, I thought about the Load E might go that way (radials)

TheYellaBrick 05-24-2012 06:40 AM

I EXCLUSIVELY use ONLY dedicated trailer tires built for that application.
Passenger/light truck tires are not built for the extreme use and sidewall pressures that trailers put tires through. The side walls are thicker and the overall tire is NOT built for 'ride' as is mtr vehicle tires are, but for weight(We ALWAYS overload our trailers, guys). "Buy 'em once and forget about 'em'. I used to use whatever would fit but after years of blowouts, close calls, and expense, I got wise.

besttrailers 05-24-2012 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by DrivingMissDD
I EXCLUSIVELY use ONLY dedicated trailer tires built for that application.
Passenger/light truck tires are not built for the extreme use and sidewall pressures that trailers put tires through. The side walls are thicker and the overall tire is NOT built for 'ride' as is mtr vehicle tires are, but for weight(We ALWAYS overload our trailers, guys). "Buy 'em once and forget about 'em'. I used to use whatever would fit but after years of blowouts, close calls, and expense, I got wise.

i sell trailers i agree with the above make sure they are trailer specific tires. and the radials last you better then biased tires will. everyone i have switched over to radial that pull their trailers every day say they last much better.

check your local trailer dealer alot of times you can buy tire and wheel combos cheaper then buying just tires

bixblk 05-24-2012 08:21 AM

thanks again

Thanks guys, I did buy 225/75/r15 load e (radials), my rims are good.Maybe next year I will upgrade to alum.

outlaw256 05-25-2012 04:47 AM

i know your right DD, but im just a cheap bastard.but when you think about it it really does cost more to run a cheap tire. because im gettin to where im buying them on a regulare bases. lol so i quess i loose again lol