Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is this carb to BIG? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18838)

StrokedBBC 11-08-2007 04:45 AM

Is this carb to BIG?

I'm building a 505ci. BBC, Pro Top Line iron 320s , Edelbrock Victor, Doug Herberts soild roller .703 int. .708 exh., 270 int. 279 exh. @ .50, just shy of 10.1 comp., Eagle crank, Eagle H-Beams, SRPs, Build th350 with 10" 3800 stall, Dana with 4.10s, The car weighs about 3500lbs. with driver, The car is going to see the 1/4 once a month & the street about 300 miles a month. I have a 1050 Holley is this going to work with my application or should i find something a little smaller?

bjuice 11-08-2007 05:26 AM

I would try it since you have it..i assume your heads are stock cast ( no port work) same for intake......

what kind of dominater do you have ?..reason i ask ..is that i have a 1050 braswell dominter that actually flows close to 1300 cfm..

but all that aside..just try what you have ..it would be a huge waste of money to go out and buy another carb before you even try what you have...

i think you are ginna be just fine..particulary if its an off the shelf Holley dominater with no trick work..

PS: I know everyman has his budget and i AM NOT trying to go there..but if you would revisited the idea on those heads and look at some aluminum Dart 320's...for the money difference i think you would be much more satisfied...almost 80/85 lb weight differnce in these heads ALONE...and thats off your nose....so think about the difference here all the way around on the head issue..all the rest i like.

IMO
Brian

StrokedBBC 11-08-2007 06:02 AM

I was just wondering if anyone was running something close to my set up to see what they were running. Yes it's off the shelf 1050 Holley nothing done to it. I bought these heads about 6 months before they filed bankrupt yes this as been a long project, the pockets were cleaned up on the heads, the heads and intake were gasket matched. She's going to be put together this winter. I have everything except pushrods i have to check for length.

nofear57 11-08-2007 02:36 PM

Hi,I think the 1050 would be great for your 505 engine on the track but for the street maybe not. An HP950 may be better overall. I found one on RacingJunk here,check out add# 1017474 you might get a real good price on it!

superstreeter 11-08-2007 04:05 PM

I run a 1050 model 8082 (2 circuit ) on the street. and a 3 circuit at the track, if you have the 2 circuit, it will be fine for the street, if you have the 3 circuit, you might have to lean out the intermediate circuit,,,BBCs love dominators! I`d keep it.

superstreeter 11-08-2007 04:06 PM

Hey no fear! that car looks familiar?

nofear57 11-08-2007 04:53 PM

Hey superstreeter hows it going! I've been following some of your threads.

Guys...........superstreeter won his class this year,he knows his stuff! His car is awesome to watch,man does it launch,very impressive! He's had it for a long time and it runs like a swiss watch!

Anyway I know BBC's love dominators but for the street cruising,stop lights and the engine building heat and all,I thought they wouldn't be very street friendly.

cepx111 11-08-2007 10:39 PM

Hey guys not trying to steal a thread or nothing here but thought I'd ask whats the difference in a 2 circuit 1050 and a three circuit since ya'll were already talking about it, and also how can I tell which one I have?
All I know is mine is not a hp.
My first dominator can you tell?
Thx, Charles

ashtrak 11-09-2007 02:36 AM

Iv'e always heard that 1050's run rich on street .Best thing is to try it out and see haw it acts plus pull plugs to see how its burning. AED makes a nice pro street carb but if they can use yours they can build that one. You could call them there in vigina. If you can't find there number send me a pm and i will get it for you 8)

jmarksdragster 11-09-2007 12:57 PM

A 1050 will be fine with the combo you have. The 8082 is not the carb to use unless it's been worked on (bad factory metering). An 8896 or 9375 will work fine. Put jet extensions/notched float on the back. Use a 3.5 power valve in the front and block the back adding about 4 to 6 jet sizes higher. A 3 circuit will tend to be rich in the middle, you may need to go up on the intermediate air bleeds and up a little on the mains. Run the carb before you make those changes.