Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Trying again (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17567)

chevguy65 06-15-2007 04:29 AM

Trying again

I still have a few bugs, like the fuel pump is mounted to high and causing a starvation issue at the top end, and a couple of minor adjustments but I do have my new MT ET drag radials on and heading to the track tonight and tomorrow.

Tonight is test n tune and tomorrow we are doing grudge matches under the lights night race.

Got a guy with a 68 Firebird wants to run against me and an 04 GTO.

LOL, silly Pontiac owners :P

I took it out with my neighbors kid the other day and when it hooked it hooked harder than I had felt before and I swear it felt like I was airborne, both our stomachs got the butterfly feeling.

Then I took him to a big empty parking lot and did one hell of a smokey burnout.

I think it's gonna be fun!!!!

I will get a video either tonight or tomorrow.

qtrmile2 06-15-2007 04:35 AM

Good luck this week end. Can't wait to see the numbers. You should see a BIG improvement. Hold on and tug hard on the belts. I think your gunna love the launch. It might take a couple of passes to hook. New tires and how they prep the track. :wink:
Have fun Carl

mcracecars 06-15-2007 06:02 AM

took it out with my neighbors kid the other day and when it hooked it hooked harder than I had felt before
looks like the car likes the extra weight on the passenger side.... better take the neighbours kid to the track with you and strap him in real good.
Throw a blanket over him so the tech guys wont know you have a passenger. The kid dont need to see whats going on anyways..... :lol: :lol:

good luck with it this weekend....

etbird 06-16-2007 04:10 PM

Good luck and have fun.

lookingaround 06-16-2007 04:53 PM

sounding good carl

chevguy65 06-17-2007 06:21 AM

Well,

Took it out and with a 30mph head wind and gusts of 35-40 I ran a best of 13.13. (Have timeslip, will post in a bit)

I also shut it off just past the 1000 ft mark because it went into a very bad vibration appearing to be the driveline.

I had a bad burnout on that run and it went into some bad wheel hop, but I shut it off as soon as it started hopping.

So, I am still not sure what it will do under good conditions, but a new drive line seems to be in order before I go back out.

qtrmile2 06-18-2007 04:38 AM

vibration

I'm not sure but with the driveshaft hitting your drive shaft loop before, you might want to check the drive shaft length. It sounds like the drive shaft may be to short and that's why the vibration. I usually put the drive shaft all the in to the tranny and pull it out 3/4in. Then take your measurements. Do this when the car is on the ground. Or you could have a bad tranny bushing. But it sounds like your making great progress Carl.
Just my thoughts

bjuice 06-18-2007 04:48 AM

Carl: before i go replacing anything i would check and see if the weighted balancer didn't come off the drive shaft...Push the drive shaft all the way into the tranny and TRACE a black majic marker line on the drive shaft yoke at the end of the tranny housing...then pull the drivshaft out until it goes into the coupler on the rear end...then look back at the yoke where you TRACED THE LINE this will show you how much drive shaft you have going up into the tranny.....this will tell you if your too long, too short etc...

Please be aware that the drive shaft can throw off a balancer weight in a heart beat..particualry on a factory type drive shaft....

but i would start there and see if this doesn't clear it up..

i see your Chevelle well into the 12's once you can stay into it...

Brian

chevguy65 06-18-2007 07:48 AM

Thanks Vince and Brian.

I will do what you say and see what I can find out.

I hope it is something simple, but have toyed with the idea of replacing the driveline anyway with one custom built for the car and stronger than stock. You can really feel the torque this thing makes.

My buddy said I almost had the wheels off the ground on that last pass.

lotsof454sss 06-18-2007 08:05 AM

Carl, sorry to hear you got still another problem but just keep at it and keep spending that money boy and it will all work out....You gonna get faster all the time..,,good luck