Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tire, Wheel, Brake (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Help with Hoosier slick date/batch codes (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30674)

markdunlap 07-08-2011 07:27 PM

Help with Hoosier slick date/batch codes

I purchased a new pair of Hoosier 32 X 14.5W X 15 slicks this week after talking to a Hoosier engineer about how to get a match set of tires from a dealer without actually being there to see them. He said they were matched at the factory within 1/4" and paired together from the same batch when sent to the warehouse and should not get seperated by the dealer.

The dealer had 6 tires in stock and I requested a matched set and he stated they are on the receipt. (Shipping was $62 extra, by the way.)

Well, they arrived today and I have my doubts they are really a matched set batch/date wise.

Anyone know how to read the serial numbers on the tires? The same numbers apppear on the label on the tires as in the sidewall.

My old tires I took off both say NJ73 in the sidewall.

My new tires sidwall numbers are 48KX and 51MP.

The tags have 48KX91?? and 51MP0059.

The 48 tag looks noticably older to the point I can't read the last 2 digits of the serial number on the tag and the Hoosier purple logo is faded.

They are matched as far as rollout. Both are marked in white 104 1/2".

48KX and 51MP just don't sound like they are from the same batch to me.

Also would like to know if a date can be told from these serial numbers.

I buy a far amount of engine parts from this dealer and they usually do a good job for me of getting me what I want. If these are not matched, should I expect then to eat the freight to take care of this?

wazup 07-09-2011 09:50 AM

There is no way of telling the date from these codes. I talked to a hoosier rep about a month ago and he told me the letters and numbers are the compond and the size of the tires and most tires are sold, ship with in a couple of months from the time they were made and need to go by the date of purchase. The hoosier rep also told me that they reuse the codes after a year or two. I called about a set and was told the code i gave him off a set of 29-15-#5 compond was now a 33-15 with a #9 compond. I hope this will help. The code on the tires should give you i date and time they where made but they dont.

markdunlap 07-16-2011 10:40 AM

Help with Hoosier

I got a tire guy at Hoosier to tell me how old my new tires are. He said the codes are stored in a computer base and he looked them up. One tire is from August last year the other is from November. So much for getting this years tires from a mail order place. He said they should be OK to use if the roll out was not more than 1/2" difference. They have the exact same number 104 3/4 written on them with yellow marker.

I mounted them today and at 12.5# one is 102 and the other is 102 1/2.

I pumped the smaller one up to 25# and it is out in the sun this afternoon to see if it will grow up a little.

wazup 07-16-2011 07:34 PM

I love how you talk to one guy and he tells you one thing and someone else calls and gets a diffrent story. I think some of the people at these companies just waist peoples time just telling them anything right or wrong.

I bought new set of micky thompson slicks in Feb. that were out 3/8 of inch and call up and was told the same thing as what you are doing and check the roll out the next day and was dead on. I also ask the best way to brake in the tires as new tech changes allthe time.

Good luck hope they work out for you.

Robert Fla.

markdunlap 07-16-2011 08:09 PM

Help with hoosier

After I put the smaller 102" tire in the sun for 4 hours today at 25#, it is 102 3/4" at 12.5# after it cooled off for 2 hours.. So now it is 1/4" larger than the other tire which is 102 1/2". Guess it will be OK now.