Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Eagle or Scat rotating assembly for budget BBC? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18575)

r8ceredy 10-08-2007 08:33 AM

Eagle or Scat rotating assembly for budget BBC?

Working this all out on paper before I just start randomly buying parts that don't mesh well. Building a 565 or 582 BBC using a 9.8 deck Dart block partly due to everyone's advice here (Thanks again) :D Now I'm looking at the rotating assembly and for someone on a budget as I am, looks as though most of the shortblocks are built using either an Eagle or Scat stroker forged crankshaft and H beam rods. This is being built for a 95% street toy that will run NA 10.5:1 pump gas and no giggle juice :lol:
I am shooting for 700+hp so I will spend the extra couple dollars for ARP rod bolts and main studs in the cast iron capped sportsman block. I know Callies and other big name cranks are killer, but they cost double and I don't think I'll ever take this engine to that level so let me know what you think of either Eagle or Scat. :?: :?: :?:

hammertime 10-08-2007 08:57 AM

My motor guy says this, he has builts tons of motors with all kinds of different parts, he has yet to brake Eagle Stuff so he keeps using it. My motor 582 with eagle crank and rods with upgraded bolts made just under 1000 on the dyno and runs 4.6's in my dragster. A buddy of mine has a 598 with same stuff as mine but on gas he runs 4.8's in his dragster and sprays it 285hp the whole 1/8th and has several times and not broke yet.
Now the scat a buddy put this stuff in his 421 small block, rod made it 6 passes if I remember correct.

edvancedengines 10-08-2007 09:00 AM

Bolts in the mains of the NODULAR IRON main caps of the Dart Big M Sportsman block will work fine. Save your money.

I knd of like the 4.50 4.50 combination in those. There are so many good variatiins though that are all working well for guys.

Scat dealers like Scat. Eagle dealers like Eagle. Niether are perfect but both should work for you. You might also look at the Callies Compstar products. I would use the ARP 2000 Bolt upgrade in either ones. Some prefer the L-19 upgrade.

Pay particular attention to try to match the heads, intake, and carb up for what you are using this for. Don't go too big.

Ed

r8ceredy 10-11-2007 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Bolts in the mains of the NODULAR IRON main caps of the Dart Big M Sportsman block will work fine. Save your money.

I knd of like the 4.50 4.50 combination in those. There are so many good variatiins though that are all working well for guys.

Scat dealers like Scat. Eagle dealers like Eagle. Niether are perfect but both should work for you. You might also look at the Callies Compstar products. I would use the ARP 2000 Bolt upgrade in either ones. Some prefer the L-19 upgrade.

Pay particular attention to try to match the heads, intake, and carb up for what you are using this for. Don't go too big.

Ed

Thanks Ed about saving money on skipping the main studs. I am looking at a 4.60 bore/4.25 stroke to keep the piston speed down. I was figuring out the piston speed on a longer stroke and if I run any rpm, it was getting to a pretty scary high number. Maybe I am over analyzing it, but I figured a larger bore/shorter stroke would help it rev and running a full 1/4 mile track the rpms might be helpful at the far end.
Top end I was thinking Dart Pro One aluminum with either the 325cc or 345cc intake. Manifold - Victor JR Carb Holley 950 hp-4150 series not a dominator. Any comments on this topend?

edvancedengines 10-11-2007 06:42 PM

You might also want to check out the cranks at
www.brcperformance.com

Ed

r8ceredy 10-23-2007 07:44 PM

Thanks Ed,
we will see what they come up with. :) :) :)

LuckyDawgRacing 10-29-2007 08:15 AM

Eagle or Scat

I been running a eagle assem. for 2 years now, currently a 598. I launch at 6800 and shift at 7400. makes 850-950 hp what do you think? I do reccomend the best bolts and resize or at least check the new rods before install. Told they're usually out a smidge