Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   fan shroud (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28629)

henny 08-14-2010 06:44 AM

fan shroud

How many guys use a fan shroud with an electric fan>? If so, have you tried it before and after?
My fan is right against the rad and I would have to space it back a bit to bit any type of conical shroud on
thanks
Tom

curtisreed 08-14-2010 08:15 AM

I have done both and will not run without a shroud again. We have aluminum radiators in all of our cars and I made aluminum sheet metal shrouds specific to each one. There is a significant difference in the amount of air moved over all of the radiator when you use a shroud not just the smaller area covered by the fan. When the car is moving it is not such a difference but at low speeds and between rounds it is much better.

Curtis

henny 08-14-2010 01:07 PM

Thanks Curtis for the info and advice

burnskustomz 08-14-2010 02:07 PM

One question I have is it possible to use an electric fan and mech. fan at the same time and does it kool any better?

henny 08-14-2010 08:11 PM

I think you can have an electric in front of the rad to act as a pusher, but never done it, so I am not sure how well it works

curtisreed 08-15-2010 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by burnskustomz
One question I have is it possible to use an electric fan and mech. fan at the same time and does it kool any better?

If you have a shroud for the electric it would block the mechanical. If you have a shroud for the mechanical then the electric is just an obstruction. Don't know why you would want to lose the HP with a mechanical if the electric is doing the job?

Curtis

burnskustomz 08-15-2010 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by doorracer

Originally Posted by burnskustomz

If you have a shroud for the electric it would block the mechanical. If you have a shroud for the mechanical then the electric is just an obstruction. Don't know why you would want to lose the HP with a mechanical if the electric is doing the job?

Curtis

Just wondering my electric fan doesn't kick on til it's done way way above 210 and when it gets above 210 it just quits, dies, and idles really really low.

henny 08-15-2010 02:54 PM

Do you mean the fan dies after it comes on at 210?
. Mine is just on a toggle switch, but I should really get it temp activated

burnskustomz 08-15-2010 03:17 PM

Naw it doesn't cut on til 210 atleast sometimes it never cuts on thats why I don't drive it much. And I'm fixing to get mine on a toggle.

henny 08-15-2010 04:27 PM

I think the only problem with the toggle is that you may forget to shut it off or else you have to stay by it for it to cool down enought to shut off
Could be a PITA if this is a street car, to have to wait around
Maybe the sensor you have is not working properly anymore..??