Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis and Suspension (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   GM 10 Bolt rear bolts.... (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17429)

nascarlatemod06 05-29-2007 01:45 PM

GM 10 Bolt rear bolts....

Lo... I have a GM 10 Bolt rear end on my street stock... I trying to remove the cover, but 3 of the bolts are like... froze in.... Theres 2 up top and one on the very bottom.. The screws are almost rounded so my sockets aren't working.... I got a pair of vice grips around all of them but I couldn't get any to turn.... I've wet them down with WD-40 several times but still no luck.... Any suggestions?
The rest came out pretty easy... 1 or 2 i had to beat the socket on because they were a bit rounded but they came off... just those 3 are being the pains...

sp2816 05-29-2007 01:58 PM

I have used PB Blaster as a penetrating oil for rust, instead of the WD-40. Those should be pretty easy to get at and need to be replaced any way, so I would suggest putting on some goggles and using a hammer and chisel to dig into the head of the bolt to turn it. A few good hits and they should loosen up, so that you could finish taking them out with the vise grips.

Good Luck,
Bill M

lotsof454sss 05-29-2007 02:51 PM

Find you some PB Penetrating Catalyst....Best stuff I have found yet...Comes in a spray can and usualy runs about $2.95 and worth every cent of it......You will never use WD 40 again for this purpose...

mcracecars 05-29-2007 07:39 PM

heat from a torch can usually loosen up stubborn bolts. no need to get red hot just hot enough to loosen.

mytmouz 05-29-2007 07:56 PM

TriFlow lube also works well. I use it on manifole exhaust studs. Works every time.

nascarlatemod06 05-30-2007 11:47 AM

No Luck with PB and i've used just about the whole can..... Tri-flow... Hmm.. who sells it? Im trying to avoid torching with fuel cell being right behind it...

mytmouz 05-30-2007 05:21 PM

Revell hardware and WW Grainger. It comes in a black labeled spray can.

robinhorn 05-31-2007 05:49 PM

Heat and it will get them out

nascarlatemod06 06-07-2007 02:27 PM

I bought a propane torch today and heated those bolts up real well.. Still no luck.... its a GM 10 bolt rear.. its 3 stuck ones.. the one rigth above the axels on each side and the one at the very bottom... I heated them several times and kep trying to remove them... No Luck... Any other ideas?

sp2816 06-07-2007 09:11 PM

I don't know if you are going to get enough heat with the propane tank or not. There are bottles of Map? gas that heat up to a higher temp. I have used the oxy/acetyne to get the bolt hot quickly so that it will "stretch" the threads and loosen them with it cools.

You might have to resort to drilling and tapping them out. EZ outs sometimes work but those bolts are 5/16" so the EZ out would be a little bigger than 1/4" and might be succeptable for breaking. The other thing is if you have been heating the bolts and then spraying them with the penetrating oil to cool them, the bolts can become tempered and extremely difficult to drill.

good luck,

Bill M