Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (
-   General Discussion (
-   -   NHRA LICENSE (

Tod74 08-31-2010 12:08 AM

How does one go about getting his license? I haven't had the car out in a long time but have recently been told that the track we go to now requires it along with chassis certification if your E.T requires it per NHRA rules. If this is really true and they enforce it I am way my car will certify. It's not an unsafe death trap or anything but it don't think it's legal to run 9's. or the eighth mile equivalent.I don't know all the chassis rules but It has a 12 point cage but no x brace on the doors etc

who do you call to get the ball rolling on obtaining your license and will I need to slow the car down to a legal ET for the car when /if I do the test passes?

cepx111 08-31-2010 01:12 AM

I have no clue Tod, I know its seems these days it has more to do with money & red tape than the safety part of the equation.

I'm all for safety don't get me wrong - I'm sure if you thought your car was unsafe you wouldnt even climb in it.

They just have to make the whole thing idiot & poor proof.

Hell, just do what I do, run at a OUTLAW track!

andamo 08-31-2010 03:38 AM

Rather than slow the car down, why not get the car teched and see what you need to make it legal ? If you're a drag racer you won't be happy slowing the car down.
Find out who the NHRA division director is for your area and give him a call. The biggest majority of them are very helpful and give you guidance. Getting the NHRA licence will get you into any IHRA event also since the IHRA honors the NHRA licence, but not the other way around.

gearhead1011 08-31-2010 05:07 AM

I'm not sure what part of Indiana you're in but I think you would part of Div 3. Here's a link to their website.
To the left is contact info including a phone number. Joan always answers the phone and she's very helpful with the licensing stuff. At the top of that page there is a button for forms. You will need to download and print the physical & license forms. You have to have the physical completed before you make your test runs. The license runs will have to be made at a NHRA track and will have to be signed by the track manager and 2 licensed drivers. I think you have to make a half-pass, 3 moderate runs and 2 full passes in that order. I'm pretty sure the car you license in will have to pass tech but it doesn't have to be your car. I think the license will cost $100.00 for 2 years and you have to have a NHRA membership which I think is another 80 bucks a year. There should be a NHRA chassis cert guy somewhere near you that should be able to tell you what your car will need to certify. The division 3 office should be able to tell you who is closest to you. Sometimes tracks will have a certain day of the year when the NHRA guy will be at the track for chassis certification. That's usually near the beginning of the race season. They will come to your place to inspect your car but there is an extra travel charge for that.

zipper06 08-31-2010 05:33 AM

You don't need an X brace in the door bars to certify to 8.50, only a down bar from main hoop to the front (aka shoulder bar) All main tubeing must be 1 5/8"X.120 min. if mild steel, or 1 1/2" if cromolly, window net also and SFI stickers on everything. Frame cars need the bars arrached to the frame, unibody cars can have the bars plated too the floor if the floors or firewall have not been altered. You can take it to a div tech guy and he wiil inspect it and tell you what's good and what's not. He will charge a fee somewhere between $175.00 and $250.00, if it fails you don't lose the fee, you just fix what's wrong and bring it back, he will then certify. You cannot make lic. passes in and uncertified car, so that's the first order of business. Our tech guy is only 40 miles away but the nearest NHRA track is over 200 miles away. If you need i can scan the rule book on the bars and send them too you via a PM.


gearhead1011 08-31-2010 05:39 AM

Oh yeah, the license runs all have to be singles and you have to turn in the time slips with the application.

ccperf721p 08-31-2010 05:44 AM

You don't need an x brace on the door for an 8.50 cert. The basic 12 point cage is perfectly fine as long as it meets the 1 5/8 X .118 spec. It does need a dash bar though.

Best thing to do is get a current rule book as it is hard to describe what you need in text.

As far as licensing goes you will need a physical first, they will do a cockpit orientation test, where you are blindfolded and will have to shut the car down (pretend to shut down anyway) and exit the vehicle in a timely manner. Then 6 passes. When I did mine, they wanted me to make 2 mild, 2 moderate and 2 full, dumping the laundry on one of the full runs.

You can figure $500 by the time you are done, barring any items the car might need to bring t up to snuff.

curtisreed 08-31-2010 05:58 AM

Don't forget @9.99 and quicker

Full face helmet in date
3.2A/5 jacket and pants
3.3/1 gloves
neck collar or hans with helmet skirt
in date sfi trans shield and flexplate shield
sfi balancer
in date sfi flexplate

Just went through all this at the first of the year when our track switched to NHRA.


hammertime 08-31-2010 06:25 AM

if its close to the 9.99 mark, and your unsure if it will tag, there is a lot less hassel and $$ to go 10.00 :)

I972Nova 08-31-2010 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by hammertime
if its close to the 9.99 mark, and your unsure if it will tag, there is a lot less hassel and $$ to go 10.00 :)

x2 I know ALOT of 6.50 cars that are capable of much more just a helluva alot less hassle there than 6.30's

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:54 AM.