Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   what low gear for a powerglide? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32024)

shawnp 04-26-2012 05:36 AM

Like David mentioned, you get what you pay for. The cheap gearsets do and will break. The stock 1.76 gear will break and it is just a matter of when. You might run it for 2 years and you may break it in 2 weeks. The cost of pulling and replacing the gear set and the potential race winnings that it may cost you are worth the initial investment up front. I see a lot of people not want to spend the money on the transmission and it costs them twice as much to replace and repair what can break in a transmission failure.

bbchevy 04-26-2012 06:57 AM

Re: what low gear for a powerglide?

Originally Posted by bowler
my car is 2450# with a sbc 434, powerglide, 5000 stall, rear is 4.56 tires are 32.5, runs 9.30's @ 145. I have a stock 1.76 first gear and they make 1.64, 1.65, 1.69, 1.76, 1.80 & 1.96. I will up grade to after market set just not sure what ratio? i will run super pro & pro thanks Doug

Doug,
Heres some FOOD for Thought,...........?
A good freind of mind that just moved south to Ark.,built a Brand New Altered,SBC Injected 406 car ran desent,5.50-.060's.He had (STOCK)Planetary in the Glide.Well last sat.He TOTALED the B/New Car!
He was Bracket Racing,had the Guy covered,hit the Brakes HARD!The Planetary EXPLODID!The Car is JUNK,He barrel rolled a few times and I thing Enddoed also!
So,....?He spent ALOT of $$$ in the WRONG Place,.....???Get what I'm Say'ing?

The AFTERMARKET Planetary is a SAFETY Feature,that as far as I'm concered,ANY Car Faster than say 6.00 in the 1/8,9.00 in the 1/4,SHOULD BE MANDETORY!!!!
I'LL BET you have ALOT MORE in that Upper End!!!!

Later
G 8)

bowler 04-26-2012 10:49 AM

BBC that's not what i wanted to hear!! we are going to run my car in S/G at the Sonoma nat. event this year and my luck it would break in elim's. I will spend the money as soon as i can. now if i do it would the 1.98 be better choice or 1.80?. Thanks Doug

bbchevy 04-26-2012 12:18 PM

Re: 1.80

Originally Posted by bowler
BBC that's not what i wanted to hear!! we are going to run my car in S/G at the Sonoma nat. event this year and my luck it would break in elim's. I will spend the money as soon as i can. now if i do it would the 1.98 be better choice or 1.80?. Thanks Doug

Well Thats Kind of a Call (YOU) Need tp make?But,I went with a 1.98 WAY Back in the Early Days of a SBC.If I had to do it over,It was a WAISTE of $$$,there is VERY little % of difference between them.But,the 1.80 is a MORE versitle Set-Up!

My VOTE-1.80!
Not that its Rite or Wrong,but the WAY I would FLY!

Later
G 8)

markdunlap 04-26-2012 03:18 PM

What

The reason a Powerglide works well is because it does not have a low gear like a Turbo 400. The lack of gear multiplication makes the converter multiply torque better and results in a faster car most times.

Rear end gear ratio and tire diameter will make more difference than trans ratio.

1.80 works more times than not even on a small block if the proper converter is used.

Look at all the transmissions for sale on this site and you will see few lower than 1.80.

bowler 04-26-2012 06:17 PM

thanks 1.80 will be my choice. Doug