Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tire, Wheel, Brake (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mini stock tire and wheel help (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33097)

smitymike11 01-24-2013 09:28 AM

Mini stock tire and wheel help

I am getting a mini stock/ young guns car ready for my son to race this comming season. It is a 1988 Dodge Daytona with a 2.2. We will be running it on dirt.

This is right from the rules on there web site.

D.O.T approved street tires with 8” maximum tread. No shaving of shoulder to meet 8” width. Grooving is OK. Same size tires on same axle (NO STAGGER).

8. Wheels up to 16” permitted. May not be mixed for stagger. Maximum 7” steel wheels. Race wheels highly recommended. Race wheels may become mandatory if too many wheels come off. Large racing nuts required on all 4 wheels. No wheel spacers. No bead locks.

The car we have is a 5 lug. What size tires and rimes should we start out with? I assume most people run 13" Wheel on mini stocks but I cannot find them in a 5 lug. The plans are to run the young guns for 1-2 years and then make the switch to mini stocks for 1-2 years before moving onto bigger cars. I want to be able to use the same rims when we move to mini stocks. This is the rule for mini stocks.

WHEELS
Steel only. Maximum 8 inches, up to 15” diameter wheels will be allowed.

TIRES
D.O.T Approved radial – not over 8” wide street tires. No wider than (60) series tires. (Must fit an 8 inch hoop). No trimming or cutting side tread except to groove.

Is it better to run a smaller wheel and a bigger tire or a bigger wheel and smaller tire? Any help or info would be great and help me to start buying parts.

TheYellaBrick 01-24-2013 09:31 PM

For your Young Guns class, the cheaper the better as you ARE and WILL be bending up wheels and cutting tires. I'd suggest staying with the stock diameter wheel size , so that your power train is easier to tune. Obtain 3-4 FRONT wheels and run stockers on the back.
You are going to have a different package on the Mini when you step into them, so reusing your YG wheel/tire combo will not be advantageous, but instead may not even work with your next car.
As per oversize lug nuts for metrics, I don't know of any source. Ask around the local racers in your YG class to source them.
Whatever you do, do NOT overthink your car this first year. Just make it SAFE and RELIABLE, learn to drive this hot rod, and HAVE FUN !
A note; Your driver has been used to rear drive and is moving into a front drive. He'll be having to RELEARN everything he's already used as it's a 360degree difference.

:D :D :D :D

smitymike11 01-25-2013 08:56 AM

Plus he is going from a paved track to dirt. The plan with cars is to reuse this car when we move to mini stocks. More then anything I would like to reuse the rime since we will be able to run stagger in the mini stock class, there not a lot faster that is why we are planning on keping the same car and just change what we can to make it faster.

TheYellaBrick 01-25-2013 09:32 AM

REALITY CHECK;
After a couple of 'break in' seasons on dirt, there may NOT be enough car left to advance ! :D

smitymike11 01-25-2013 11:21 AM

I hope I will be able to take him to the track without other cars there and let him run a little. I have talked to the track owner and they told me we could set up something like that. I hope this does not turn out like the quarter midget. If he was not running up front he was in the middle of everything and bending or hitting something every week.

TheYellaBrick 01-25-2013 11:29 AM

THAT, my friend, is circle track racin'... you canNOT get away from getting the hammer out if you are really racin', unless you are ridin' drag....on dirt it will be even MORE hammerin' and fixin' than asphalt.. :shock: :shock: :D :D :D