Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   TIMING MOVING (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25109)

JEFF69Z28 07-29-2009 02:00 PM

TIMING MOVING

I LOCKED OUT MY DIST.AND SET IT AT 34 DGREES,WHEN I REV THE MOTOR THE TIMING STARTS TO RETARD IS THIS NORMAL?

desoto30 07-29-2009 03:03 PM

mine did not. Locked dizzy & crank trigger, with rock solid timing

TopspeedLowet 07-29-2009 03:17 PM

If it is only retarding two deg or less with RPM change, it is likely your cam end play moving forward and rearward changing the gear mesh and backlash of your helical cut dist gear altering your timing setting. Less end play settings give less timing change at your dist. A crank trigger pick up eliminates this issue that most all distributor triggered igns that are rotated by the cam have due to necessary cam end play. The retard can be virtually near zero to 1/2 degree with minimum recommend cam end play settings.and proper gear backlash set ups.
Bruce

OneBadGMC 07-29-2009 03:34 PM

You shouldn't be setting the timing at idle anyhow.

Always rev the motor and watch the timing during RPM climbing.

The valve train has to be loaded to properly set the timing.

It can't be done right at idle, or at a constant RPM because there will always be slack in the chain.

As was said prior, make sure the cam isn't walking either.

JEFF69Z28 07-29-2009 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC
You shouldn't be setting the timing at idle anyhow.

Always rev the motor and watch the timing during RPM climbing.

The valve train has to be loaded to properly set the timing.

It can't be done right at idle, or at a constant RPM because there will always be slack in the chain.

As was said prior, make sure the cam isn't walking either.

HOW SHOULD I SET IT

mopar1962 07-29-2009 05:38 PM

If ya got vacuum advance remove the hose from the distributor pot and plug it,get an adjustable knob type timing lite,have someone sit in the car and watch the tach, lets say ya want 35 degrees total as an example, set the light at 35 and give the car some rpm until the balancer mark stops moving, I like fully advanced in a race only car around idle or by 1200 rpm,on a street racer say 2000 rpm, with the engine fully advanced set the timing to 35 degrees,now do it again, note the rpm that it takes until the engines fully advanced, what you want is the engine fully advanced by 1200 rpm to 35 degrees,thats total advance and it also tells you your advance curve. This will give ya a lot more spark advance and the engine will respond. If ya run an msd dist and you arent advancing fully at 1200 rpm change the springs and or the button. This is generally speaking, works for me....

FullTimeRacing 07-29-2009 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by mopar1962
If ya got vacuum advance remove the hose from the distributor pot and plug it,get an adjustable knob type timing lite,have someone sit in the car and watch the tach, lets say ya want 35 degrees total as an example, set the light at 35 and give the car some rpm until the balancer mark stops moving, I like fully advanced in a race only car around idle or by 1200 rpm,on a street racer say 2000 rpm, with the engine fully advanced set the timing to 35 degrees,now do it again, note the rpm that it takes until the engines fully advanced, what you want is the engine fully advanced by 1200 rpm to 35 degrees,thats total advance and it also tells you your advance curve. This will give ya a lot more spark advance and the engine will respond. If ya run an msd dist and you arent advancing fully at 1200 rpm change the springs and or the button. This is generally speaking, works for me....

he has a lock out dizzy,bring it to 3000 put it where you want.

mopar1962 07-29-2009 05:55 PM

Be nice to know what curve your locking in though wouldnt it?.....

FullTimeRacing 07-29-2009 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mopar1962
Be nice to know what curve your locking in though wouldnt it?.....

there is no curve,it's locked.whit all due respect

mopar1962 07-29-2009 06:33 PM

Hell if ya gotta remove the springs and weights to lock out the dizzy maybe its time for a better unit..... :lol: