Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What's wrong with some people.................... (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22961)

hollowayshotrods 01-30-2009 05:44 PM

What's wrong with some people....................

This guy from Apex, NC calls me up this past Wed. afternoon wanting to buy my new Victor 2975 intake I have for sale. We talked a few minutes, he seemed on the up and up. He asked me to take it to the post office and get a shipping price and he would add it to the already low price of $150 (subliminal message :wink:) that I am asking. We agreed I would call in the morning with the total cost, which was $168 inc. insurance and a tracking number and he would send me the money right away.

What do I get for my troubles and attempt to be a reliable seller?

"Uh, hey man I am at work right now. Besides, I need to see how much money I can come up with".

WTH :!: :!: The clown made a DEAL with me, otherwise I would have never had said a word about it.

Now I know that in the words alone mean very little. I certainly wish you could have heard his tone, it was as if I was bothering an important man with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Look polecat, you know who you are, it was piss poor to do a man like that. It only gets your name added to "my list". Should I drop the price on the intake any further, Mr. Apex, NC man, it is still $168 to you.

Needless to say, I do not think I will hear from him. I am not going to mention his name simply because nobody lost any money or parts. I just lost a little time and a little more confidence in the word of a man.

Sorry it was so long, just needed to get it off my chest :!: :evil: :evil:

signsbyesa 01-30-2009 06:39 PM

man that is a good price new, it's a shame he wasted your time,
you should see the stuff i bought and never used, too bad you
can't charge him for lost time :?

mopar1968 01-30-2009 07:30 PM

Rudy it is like that old saying, ''Show me da money first'' people shouldn't commit to anything unless they are sure :!: :!:

'' JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

chrisr 01-30-2009 07:35 PM

I would never ask anyone to go to the trouble of finding out any info or even call them on a product unless I had the money before hand, it just makes no sense and wastes your time. :evil:

482 01-30-2009 07:43 PM

I don't know man, I have responded to a couple ads lately and it's like it pees them off that somebody would ask a question :? When I am spending 15-20 grand, I may have a question or two! Anyway, I think we have all kinds here. Just keep on doing what you say and saying what you'll do and it will be alright :)

chrisr 01-30-2009 08:11 PM

Now that is totally different. If you have the money to buy something you should be able to ask away. If they want to sell it and are on the up and up with their product then they should have no problem answering your questions.

hollowayshotrods 01-30-2009 09:15 PM

Has nothing to do with answering questions or product quality. The deal was agreed upon, all questions asked and answered. It was a struck deal that a man wasn't really ready to go through is all.

482 Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:43 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know man, I have responded to a couple ads lately and it's like it pees them off that somebody would ask a question When I am spending 15-20 grand, I may have a question or two! Anyway, I think we have all kinds here. Just keep on doing what you say and saying what you'll do and it will be alright

Hollowayshotrods:
It is always alright with me my friend! I welcome all questions and will answer them immediately. I am not sure just how your post is related to my thread on being stood up, but I do agree that lots of people act pissed if you ask too many questions! BTW-I wish I had $15-$20k to spend! :)

482 01-30-2009 09:42 PM

I was referring to his attitude when you said it was as if you were bothering an important man. That's the main thing I was trying to get across when I said we have all kinds on here. Sorry for the confusion, I'll shut up now! :oops:

cbtlr 01-31-2009 12:37 AM

Bottom line.If you dont have the funds or looking for a better deal.Do not contact the seller.Best not to waste others time.Deal is done,its done by all means.

hollowayshotrods 01-31-2009 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by 482
I was referring to his attitude when you said it was as if you were bothering an important man. That's the main thing I was trying to get across when I said we have all kinds on here. Sorry for the confusion, I'll shut up now! :oops:

Hey my friend, no need to shut up about it. I appreciate your thoughts 482. I re-read my post and see where it could be taken as slightly smart alecky, that WAS NOT my intent. Without being able to hear the tone in a persons voice, it is at times, hard to determine what is smart butt and what is not. Thanks again for your thoughts 482, keep on posting, we like good folks around here. :)

shawnp 01-31-2009 05:00 AM

I will answer any question at any time, but if you don't have interest in the item I am selling, be up front and say you are just asking and not interested. I had a question on the car I have for sale about the weight. Now the guy did not ask me to go out of my way, but since I did not know the weight, I made it a point to rearrange my schedule to accomodate the question. When I sent the answer, I was told that he was curious as he was thinking of buying a bare car and finishing it as he got his money. I don't think him asking the question was wrong, but give a guy a heads up that you are simply asking, not looking to purchase.

hollowayshotrods 01-31-2009 06:01 AM

I certainly do not mind going out of my way to help or answer any questions at anytime. In fact, it would be difficult to find someone that I didn't answer promptly or provide with extra pictures, etc. I think your response to an inquiry is highly indicative of your business character traits. I've gotten many questions about an item with no interest in purchasing, generally in the (Do you have extra parts, what color is something etc) I will always answer those questions. You never know, he may want to buy something from you later on.

What does bother me though, is when I am called at suppertime and actually answer my phone for a potential sale. Spend a little talking about it, striking a deal, go out of my way the next morning, then to be treated as if I am BOTHERING him when I do as HE requested by calling back in the a.m. with a total cost. Well sir, that kind of person can kiss my ass, I don't do folks that way and expect not to be done that way in return.

I think the thread is content is being lost with some of the comments about asking questions, quality of the product, etc.

The original post was about striking a deal, then not following through on your end, not about quality or answering questions.

Just my thoughts my friends.

blowninjected540 01-31-2009 06:27 AM

I understand Rudy, Ihave a car for sale, sold it 2 times I was sure it was sold the 2nd time, even told me he was making arrangements for pick up. Then he e mailed me the day he was picking up car, and said him and his wife got into it about buying this car and he wasn't coming. didn't have balls enough to even call, did it over the email. Make sure its ok with wife, dad , mom, girlfriend, boy friend, dog, ect. before making a deal with someone. just makes good sense. (JUST MY TWO CENTS)

Scooterz 01-31-2009 08:23 AM

Rudy-

That would have ticked me off too. I mean, don't call me & waste my time, & negotiate a deal, ask me to do all the leg work on a shipping quote/arrangments... and then when I call to close the deal, act like you don't have the money & no time to talk to me... that is what we call a "FlAKE" or a stroker. What a joke. Anyways, it would be different if the guy called and said: "I just wanted to see if you still have the intake, need a price & idea on shipping... I will have the money next week & I am not ready to buy it today". something like that....

eddie1963 01-31-2009 11:34 AM

nice guys sometimes get the shaft

guy called me for some rally wheels and some sbc parts trade for a 76 roller camaro he needed to get away from a family's memers garage. made deal \ set up time for pick up \ i got trailer ready and hooked up to my truck \ with winch battery charged/ picked my dad up to help\ went for breakfast to wait for his call he was at the location for pick up. did i say iots below zero during my set up? anyway never called me ..... i called him several times that day\ even the next day\ and the day after\ finally unloaded the stuff and trailer. waited a week and called, just so happened his family member answered the phone and placed HIM on the phone. what a surprise he got when he found out it was me. asked why i didnt call him,[ said i did at this number several times for several days], then said car was no good and i wouldnt have wanted it, [ maybe i did ] then said thanks for calling him and letting him know i still was interested but the car has bad floors. so i said thanks for the informationsorry we couldnt work out a deal. HE SAID, thanks for calling him and letting him know we couldnt work out a deal!!!!. now thats a nice person to deal with, screens calls and thanks you for the call he was avoiding. the breakfast was nice with my dad and worth it , bit that guy has _ _ _ _ for brains.

482 01-31-2009 12:05 PM

No problem Rudy!
I do tend to ramble on sometimes.
As you can see with my 26 posts in the nearly 6 years of being here, I am a whole lot better at READING than POSTING :lol: IT'S COOL 8) later!

fishmanjoe 02-02-2009 09:11 AM

HEY MEN!! Be careful out there it is a jungle with these ''buyers and sellers''.I called a guy about a 454 engine on craigslist.I ask him for the block casting numbers along with the head numbers.Well you thought I was putting this guy through alot of trouble.When he came back with numbers,this hi performance motor was a truck motor.When I mentioned the web page that I got the referance numbers from,this guy got all arrogant with me and told me I insulted him .If I didnot do my homework,I WOULD HAVE PAID 7K for a piece of crap truck motor.Watch your money fellas!!!FISHMANJOE

dparker 02-02-2009 09:29 AM

What's the website that you got those numbers from?

onedragracer 02-02-2009 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dparker
What's the website that you got those numbers from?

Don't worry parker all tall deck blocks were truck engines

dparker 02-02-2009 01:57 PM

Guess I'm going to have to put that truck engine all over ya!!! No hard feelings. Now that you got a high dollar paint job your going to be to worried about getting a scratch instead of hitting the tree.
P.S. You need to put a pic on the post with the pics of cars when its done getting painted though.

hollowayshotrods 02-02-2009 03:36 PM

Parker,
Try the website listed below.

www.mortec.com

fishman, did you and your boy ever buy that gasser?
You are right about watching your dough and these conmen, they are an ever present danger, the economy adding even more pressure. It does blow me away the folks that don't do ANY research at all about what they are buying. :?

I will NEVER complain about a man asking questions about my item/cars. I will NEVER complain about someone asking for more pictures, I can provide happily. I WILL complain when some jackleg makes a DEAL with you, then acts like an arroganot s.o.b. because his wife denied him permission, because his cat died, he was in the hospital, his Mom flew in from Alaska, well, you get the idea. If you need to back out of a deal, do it nicely. I lost no money nor did I lose my item, that is the only reason I did not call him by name. He is from Apex,NC though. What I did do though was change my morning plans to accomidate the bums request for shipping cost so he could mail m.o., which in turn has a domino affect on the rest of the morning. No biggie though, I dropped the price $20.00, but it is still $168 to him :!: :wink:

bjuice 02-02-2009 04:28 PM

i have told this story a while ago but worth telling again on this thread

about 5 yrs ago or MORE . i struck a deal roller for roller with a guy out of VA (hEAVYCHEVY1968). My 89 10.5 camaro for his 69 camaro super gas car..There was cash boot involved also (my end) and i was delivering car to VA from S.C....there was a big snow storm coming thru VA so we had to hurry up so i could get in and out.....It was low 30 degree's here in SC and raining HARD...We struck the deal around Thursday and i was to deliver the car Saturday..the catch was that my car was race ready and ( a bad mother i must say,very detailed plumbing etc..)...Anyhow i did not have a shop at that point in time ( process of building it)..i started pulling engine and tranny out of the car 10:00 pm Thursday night in the pouring COLD RAIN in my driveway on JACKSTANDS..No help except my wife holding a 6 cell flash light from up top while i layed on my back in the cold rain....i got the car tore down all the way about 2:00AM...COLD,SORE,HANDS BEAT ALL TO HELL,KNEES BRUISED,SEVERAL LUMPS ON MY HEAD. :shock:

I called the guy Friday Morning to set up final delivery arrangements ( touching base) and the man would not answer his phone...i tried to call him over and over with no answer..i finally sent him a "Get F***" Email and told him its a good thing we are sEveral states apart. AND I MEANT IT ! i did get a lame e-mail apologizing for what he did ..claiming he felt bad and told his wife this wasn't like hisself to do something like this...yadayadyada..

so i advertised the car as a roller and got a call from a Guy up in Pittsburg asking me was i the owner of MY CAR..i said of course i was..he then proceeded to tell me this HEAVYCHEVY1968 guy sent him pic's of my car trying to sell it to him a few weeks prior.....so now you get the picture...i figured Heavy Chevy was trying to pre-sale my car before he had it in hand or was trying to really SCREW someone BY SELLING A CAR THAT HE WAS NEVER GONNA OWN

I hear this HEAVYCHEVY1968 Guy ( Big George Cameron) is about 6ft 8 inches tall and weighs in a good 350lbs.....
At that time i could have cared less i would have taken this 220lbs frame of mine and run staright up is booootwahaaa and took a sharp left..

Big George if you are your buds read this..please understand its been 5 or more yrs ago since you hammered me...although i am not as worked up as i was at one time about this..i still have not forgot you..i see you posting ads on the classifieds...just remember if you ever come to S.C. be sure to let me know..i would love to give you a warm welcome you kindly deserve...TRUE SOUTHERN STYLE..

I did learn a great deal about trading on the internet from this deal :wink:

I apologize guys this was soooo long..but you had to hear it all to 1/2 appreciate what i went thru..just put yourself in my shoes.....

Now Rudy..i think mine just topped yours....lol :D

TheYellaBrick 02-02-2009 05:25 PM

OH BOY !! Mine's bigger than YOURS, stories !! What will the winner get !!
:D :D :D :D :D This orta be GREAT entertainment for this month anyway !
Unfortunately I'm not able to compete THIS time...... :P :P

hollowayshotrods 02-03-2009 05:57 AM

Brian,
I would still be pissed too :!: :!: S.O.B. deserves to have a good old fashioned beat down for that!

Scooterz 02-03-2009 10:31 AM

Man!! "in the rain" wife holding a D cell flashlight" lumps in head, beat UP, "in a driveway"... That would send me OVER THE EDGE!!! A road trip & a basball bat would have to be in order... hopefully I would remeber that I am trying to be a christain about then... but i think he would have got a beating anyways!! That is rough. Scooter

bjuice 02-03-2009 11:50 AM

oh ya Guys..i would have gotten into some trouble had he been easier to get to. ( no joking !)

But the good thing that came out of it was a few things..1st- i learned a valuable lesson about internet and trading..i was just getting started with internet thing back then with trading and selling etc....

#2- once i had the car down to a roller i advertised it on RJ and ended up still selling it to a Guy from Norfolk VA.. he met me at Lowes Motor speed way in NC to take delivery of car...and yes i got a deposit before hand....

i am over it with Big George just never will forget what he did...

Scooterz 02-03-2009 03:16 PM

Juice-

a lttle side note... I had to live in Norfolk (by the naval base) for a couple of years. I went to Maury High School in Norfolk. Man that was a ROUGH PLACE!!! that school was hell... kept my head down & minded my own buisness quitely. Glad it all worked out for ya. Scoot

fishmanjoe 02-04-2009 05:05 PM

Hey RUDY,About that gasser,My son became a victim of a Mopar plant closure up here in Delaware.So needless to say he could not think about buying the 39 Ford coupe we were looking turn into a gasser.I guess everyone is watching their money.FISHMANJOE

poncholvr 02-06-2009 03:01 PM

ya think he would say for sure or not lol
should always figure atleast 20-25 i have had to do that as well lol ppl piss ya off