Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   BG 400 (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20077)

bjuice 03-04-2008 03:35 PM

BG 400

ok guys just got my gasket kit in from Cliff...thanks cliff GREAT SERVICE.

ok this is the 1st gasket kit i have installed in one of these pumps and although i am 99.9% i got every gasket installed,i want to be sure,so i wanted to throw this around a little to make sure i haven't missed anything...

the only o-rings i saw that could be replaced was the bottom plate larger o-ring...and the inner shaft o-ring that you have to press into the shaft cavity beneth the rotor/blades and plate......

is there anything else i should be on the look out for on this pump now that i have it on the bench....

the kit i got had the 2 gaskets mentioned above plus 2 more o-ring gaskets a little smaller then the base o-ring gasket on the pump base plate.

Cliff said this kit would also fit a magnafuel pump as well ..maybe the extra 2 o-rings is for the magnafuel pump... i don't know i never had to replace any gaskets on the maganfuel pump .....but i didn't see anyplace else for a gasket to be placed on the BG 400

any stories ,feedback etc.......

by the way i can't stand BG pumps...have i said that already..lol.. :shock:

Brian

hammertime 03-04-2008 05:05 PM

Best thing you could do is by a different pump and save yourself the trouble IMO

in the matter of a hour on a friends dragster we took off his orginal that started to leak and put on 3 peoples spares and 1 new one, every darn one of them leaked even the new one. He went to motorstate and put a magnaflow on it and hasnt had a problem.

First BG 400 pump I had lasted for a long time never had luck after that.

bjuice 03-04-2008 05:17 PM

well i respect all opinions..but i was looking for more of opinions on past experience with people who have placed gasket kits in these pumps..

i have made it very clear i am NOT a fan of ANY Barry Grant pump...but it was a NO BRAINER for me to try a $20.00 gasket kit rather then come off the Hip with $500.00 for a new MAGNAFUEL..without trying this $20.00 kit......

But i am available at this time for Sponsorships and /or donations....LOL :D

Just kicking it with you a little David..i think you and I both feel the same about these pumps....I

Brian

sg1586 03-04-2008 06:30 PM

Make sure everything is clean and most of all polish the pump shaft where the seal rides.........If you don't it will leak right away or later on in the final round :shock:

hammertime 03-04-2008 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by bjuice

Just kicking it with you a little David..i think you and I both feel the same about these pumps....I

Brian

for sure we do :lol:
When I replaced the seals in mine I did nothing else, I've heard several people saying the bearings in the motors go out but that is also pricey.

sg1586 03-05-2008 02:57 AM

I had one in my other car for 8 years. Never had a bearing go bad and raced it sometimes 3 times a week :shock:

bjuice 03-05-2008 03:56 PM

sg1586..took your advise and polished the shaft until it was slick as "Snot on a Onion".. :D

as you can see in the picture..the fuel pump is not a simple snatch and grab..you have to remove the fuel cell,battery etc.....not hard just time consuming..everything is packed tight in the trunk area..

anyhow i put it back together..put everthing back in place..so far no leaks and i let it run long enough to know..tested it 5 or 6 times....even throwd the battery charger to it to juice more life in the fuel pump ( battery was running low)..still no leaks...so lets hope the gasket kits works...

[img]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...n/100_0385.jpg[/img]

sg1586 03-06-2008 05:39 AM

Brian, The only other problem I have had with the BG400 pump is the pump by pass....From what BG had told me that the ball and socket get gummed up somewhat and just needs to be cleaned with some good quality carb cleaner.

What it does is your pump pressure gauge will not be steady...Just clean it up and your good to go....... :D