Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   dragster ? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22322)

vega34 11-22-2008 12:37 PM

dragster ?

whats the normal width of the front wheels on a dragster,i know there all pretty much different,but whats the ave. width,,and will chrome molly chassie rust or fade if its a 2002 model,,thanks steve

kwkracing 11-22-2008 05:35 PM

rear engine dragsters have 17x2.25 on the front. are you asking if chromoly isnt painted will it rust or what?

hammertime 11-22-2008 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by kwkracing
rear engine dragsters have 17x2.25 on the front. are you asking if chromoly isnt painted will it rust or what?

Correct it will rust with any kind of scratch in it, if you want to leave it chromoly look paint it clear.

vega34 11-23-2008 04:31 AM

ok my bad,,i'm asking how far apart are the front wheels normaly,and the chromoly part,it looks like a rusty brown color,not really rust but the color of raw trying to rust metal,,maybe its never been painted,but i thought chromoly wouldn't rust,,,the front wheels i thought was a little to far apart,i mean you don't want them together but they look to be about 4 feet apart to me,,,,thanks steve

hammertime 11-23-2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by vega34
ok my bad,,i'm asking how far apart are the front wheels normaly,and the chromoly part,it looks like a rusty brown color,not really rust but the color of raw trying to rust metal,,maybe its never been painted,but i thought chromoly wouldn't rust,,,the front wheels i thought was a little to far apart,i mean you don't want them together but they look to be about 4 feet apart to me,,,,thanks steve

Off the top of my head when setting the toe up on mine I think they were 26" center of wheel to center of wheel.

Now some of the older cars were a lot wider then others, some of these comp cars are very close also.

vega34 11-23-2008 09:50 AM

ok i went over and got some pictures,the front wheels are 32" apart,that seems to be pretty wide to me,and the chassie/cage/frame looks like its never been painted,,,,thanks steve

TRChassis 11-27-2008 03:27 AM

The minimum tread width as per NHRA is 26". As far as the rust situation chrome moly will rust and rust quickly. Where I live in the Southwest it isn't real bad but I have worked on cars from both Coasts and from area's with high humidity and it does rust and rapidly. We just wipe ours down with WD 40 because I don't like to paint the chassis. The most dangerous thing about Chrome moly is that it can and does rust from the inside out. Moisture from various sources can deteriote the internal integrity of the tubing and thin it to the point of it being dangerous. I used to repair many used funny cars and the customers would bring them and the tubing looked real nice on the outside but as soon as you would start to TIG on the tubes they would show the contamination. If you have any open ended tubes (back of the car), squirt some WD 40 in there. Just my 2 cents.
Rick

vega34 11-27-2008 04:23 AM

thanks rick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,steve

sxfreak2002 12-09-2008 08:27 PM

dragster

if it looks rusty is is rusty. and from the inside out is one that most people dont understand or think about.if your thinking about buying this car ask them to have it certified and pay the extra to look the hole car over for you before you buy it. even if it has a chassis certification before you spend that kind of money have ot redone so you know.