Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Vacumn Advance??? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21035)

Scooterz 06-08-2008 12:04 PM

Vacumn Advance???

Thanks everyone for answering my questions!! things are working better because of all of you. But I have ALOT to learn still...

Set up: 69 Camaro, street use mainly, was set up more for strip originally. Narrowing down fuel system for street friendly use. BBC, larger solid cam, all roller, team G (was dominator, now adapted to 4500 QF950HP) all msd, mechanical dist. 3500 stall, w/488's. w/ port & polish, it's about 10.2 compression. No booster for brakes, or other vac sources needed/used. @Idle, it's running 5.5 inches of vacumn @ about 1100rpm (I think rpm is correct, but tach is broken now). Yes, a little "over the top" combo for street, but when the dude in the 90's Vette tried to race me at the stop light last week, he was makig excuses to his pretty girlfriend 3 car lengths behind me... (he should stick to golf).

The question: what would a vacumn advance dist. do for this combo? Low end? Is it necessary for street use/recomended? Thanks again everone.

john858 06-08-2008 12:45 PM

as long as you have advance springs and bushing in your dis. ,thats the best way to go. i think

cepx111 06-09-2008 10:01 PM

Is your distributor locked out? It very well maybe if it was formerly a dragcar. Stick a timing light on it to make sure. I 'd go w/out a vacuum advance, and set my cetrifical advance to be all in by 2500rpm
Cp

Scooterz 06-10-2008 03:43 PM

CP: Thanks... but I am very green about this. I do not understand what you are saying because I am not familiar with the term "lock out" for a dist. This is what I know: I had to retard the timing a little for the street, I used a timing light (which worked fine) & I did this by moving the distributor back manually. I have a 6al, & separate MSD retard box w/ 4 chips (which I removed the box). So what I believe I have is the 6al, with a mech. hei & separtate coil (MSD)... no points distributor w/o vac advance. setting timing has only been done through a manual dist adjustment. It has 5.5 inches of vac @ idle, w/a Lunatti cam (solid) that is pretty healthy. What i did not know is if the vac advance would help low end/idle a little. It seems fine now, but NOW is all I know! I also don't really know where my timing should really be... so I started with a stock BBC timing of 12BTC & worked my way up to where it is now by listening & driving. Oringinally I think it was @ about 36. Thanks for the schoolin'!!

vincef 06-21-2008 06:12 AM

I would lock it out so it stays at one specific timing setting or have the mechnical advance set to be all in at or a bit lower than you stall speed.

I run my timing locked out at 28 deg advance, runs like a scalded bandit.... if you have a aftermarket ignition a timing retard device helps get it started. High compression and 28 degrees will work the hell out of your starter - definately get a hi-tourque starter.

GLADIATORINC 06-21-2008 07:45 AM

I am also trying to run my borderline pro street on the street. It's tough, but then you get the be the man when wannabees pull up to you. I suggest you read a lot of topics on here. I have learned a lot from different members on here.

Scooterz 06-21-2008 09:45 AM

Agreed. I have learned a lot from here... I definately need more timing. I see a loss in responsivness. I never really considered the retard box for starting... good idea! I have never used it, but still have it. I guess I will go find the sweet spot on the timing, & see how she does.