Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Q16 race fuel??? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22687)

obsessedtruck 01-03-2009 01:57 PM

Q16 race fuel???

Anybody try this stuff with good results?? How does it compare to the Sonoco 114 and 116 stuff. Like to hear HP number changes not ET's as i dont deal with the ET's.

TopspeedLowet 01-03-2009 02:19 PM

I used its sister fuel 113 and I wasn't patient enough to tune to it from the c12 that I was using prior. I thought the stuff sucked for the proclimations by the manufacturer. I had indications that it has potential but it wrecks everything rubber just like alcohol. The Q16 has more oxygenators or ethonol and should make 5 % or more power than C16, but the side effects of alcohol were not a pleasure in my expierence having used only gasoline for years. The epoxy in my hood scoop that holds my air pan delaminated from the fiberglass from the vapor from the 113. The epoxy was GM door skin adhesive and the vapor made it like puddy, No sht. Good luck with it, it is more powerful than strait racing hydrocarbons if you don't mind running alcohol. In hind site, I think tuning the fuel on the dyno would have probably been more rewarding on that venture. Field tuning was very evasive, and I'll have you know I like a challenge tuning but not one like that stuff gave me.

tcarda 01-03-2009 06:06 PM

The dyno guy where I dyno my engines swears by the stuff. He has a 540 BBF and he jetted up 4-5 and picked up 21 hp on the dyno without doing anything else. It smells nasty, but it works. The only other thing I have heard is that it is expensive.

obsessedtruck 01-03-2009 06:14 PM

Hey Tim , Your dyno guy does he have some on hand?, I aint done dynoing yet, goy other stuff up my sleeve.

TopspeedLowet 01-04-2009 04:49 AM

Steve Schmidt and the like have told me the 113 needs more like 4 to 5 jets up from base tune up and more like 10 jets and lower air bleeds with the more potent Q16. This is why I had difficulty tuning this fuel. I tried the advice I was given and had for crap results at $16 per gallon. every person that loves this fuel gets it for less than I pay for it or is a dealer and or Dyno operator or a customer of one. There is no question about the science of oxyogenated fuel and its power potential, it is more a matter or finding the optimum tune up. It you have the Dyno ability and need all you can get. I have no doubt that this is a very good choice to make big power with. My ordeal with this stuff is not the best commercial for the product but power gains are not assured unless you have the engine Happy with the new fuel.
I didn't want to leave you on a sour note on this fuel, it may be your best friend

tcarda 01-04-2009 10:12 AM

He should have some on hand. You should be able to get some from him. TNT in Blaine carries VP fuels in 5 gallon jugs, but I don't know if they carry Q16 in those. Here is TNT's website. www.tntraceshop.com Another place is Ramsey Sport Center that carries VP fuels in Anoka. If you want Gary's number (where I dyno) I can PM you that number. TNT would save you 2 hours of driving.

JimmySmith 01-05-2009 05:54 PM

Q-16

I have sold a good bit of it and it looks like from my feed back it will make 3% -4% power increase but you have to put it to sleep at night or it will eat and corode but looking for power it works. Later J.Smith 4621 racing

obsessedtruck 01-17-2009 11:08 AM

I did get a couple of gallons to try on the dyno, It gave another 30hp increase. Some good stuff

dparker 01-17-2009 01:01 PM

How much higher a drum is the Q16 over C113?

hammertime 01-17-2009 04:25 PM

The q16 is pretty pricey, lots of locals run it but they also drain fuel systems weekly.