Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I HAVE NO TURN SIGNALS!!! NEED HELP (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25876)

bluegrassjh 09-29-2009 07:53 AM

I HAVE NO TURN SIGNALS!!! NEED HELP

I have a foxbody Mustang. The turn signals dont work at all. It doesn't even light up the arrows on the gauge cluster. Any ideas as to what it could be????

gearhead1011 09-30-2009 07:54 PM

Start with checking the fuse & flasher. If you let me know what year it is I can give you more info on what to check.

cepx111 09-30-2009 10:39 PM

I agree with Chuck, first check the fuse(s) and flasher.
But if still a no go, check the igintion switch on the steering column.

I had the same problem on the boys 89 GT mustang, the ignition switch was loose in the socket, pushed the bulkhead back up in the switch and re-tightened the crimps on the switch and that fixed the problem.

I have worked at several Ford dealerships over the years and have seen this many times. It doesn't always affect the turn signals though.

The ignition switch was one of the first things we checked when a car came in having unexplained electrical problems, 9-10 it was a loose ignition switch.

Goodluck, Cp

bluegrassjh 10-02-2009 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by cepx111

I had the same problem on the boys 89 GT mustang, the ignition switch was loose in the socket, pushed the bulkhead back up in the switch and re-tightened the crimps on the switch and that fixed the problem.

I have worked at several Ford dealerships over the years and have seen this many times. It doesn't always affect the turn signals though.

The ignition switch was one of the first things we checked when a car came in having unexplained electrical problems, 9-10 it was a loose ignition switch.

Goodluck, Cp

Thanx...I'll check it out. I found out it has emergency flashers, but still no signals. The arrows on the dash light up with the e-flashers too. But the turn signals show no sign of life at all. It's a 89 Mustang GT Convertable. I checked the fuses. Would the emergency flashers still work if the flasher relay in the fuse box was bad? This is my first go 'round fixin a Ford, so I'm kinda in the dark here. But I'm going to check the switch asap.

DirkaDirka 10-02-2009 11:34 AM

I know on late model Fords they have 2 flasher relays. One for the binkers and one for the emergency flashers.

TheYellaBrick 10-02-2009 07:54 PM

Resort to high school driving class;
Open left window
Stick left arm out
Arm up for right turn
Arm straight out for left turn
Arm drooped down for koolness attitude :D

cepx111 10-02-2009 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by bluegrassjh

Goodluck, Cp

Thanx...I'll check it out. I found out it has emergency flashers, but still no signals. The arrows on the dash light up with the e-flashers too. But the turn signals show no sign of life at all. It's a 89 Mustang GT Convertable. I checked the fuses. Would the emergency flashers still work if the flasher relay in the fuse box was bad? This is my first go 'round fixin a Ford, so I'm kinda in the dark here. But I'm going to check the switch asap.

The boy's 89 GT was doing the same, the emergency flashers worked fine but the turn signals were dead in the water, it was the switch.

The E/Flasher's work on a totally different circuit from the signals so they can be used at anytime without the key on.

Just take the upper and lower steering colunm covers off to acess the switch, you'll see it on the right hand side just below the key cylinder, it's a big plastic and metal thingy with a thousand wires going to it, pull on the wiring to see if it's loose, if your crafty like me you can push it back together and take a small punch to recrimp the metal tabs that hold the switch together or you can toss it and buy a new one.
Hope this helps, Cp

bluegrassjh 10-03-2009 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by bluegrassjh

Goodluck, Cp

The boy's 89 GT was doing the same, the emergency flashers worked fine but the turn signals were dead in the water, it was the switch.

The E/Flasher's work on a totally different circuit from the signals so they can be used at anytime without the key on.

Just take the upper and lower steering colunm covers off to acess the switch, you'll see it on the right hand side just below the key cylinder, it's a big plastic and metal thingy with a thousand wires going to it, pull on the wiring to see if it's loose, if your crafty like me you can push it back together and take a small punch to recrimp the metal tabs that hold the switch together or you can toss it and buy a new one.
Hope this helps, Cp

Thanx a million. I'm going to try to tear into this weekend...unless the weather stops me. Never take your garage for granted. It sucks bustin knuckles in the rain :D .

D---->The only signaling around here has 2 fingers involved...and I'm usual gettin the signal...not giving it.

bluegrassjh 10-05-2009 07:44 AM

I checked the ignition switch. It all seems tight. I have only found one flasher relay on the back side of the fuse panel. It looks like there used to be one on the front, top r/h corner of the fuse panel. Would this be where the second one for the turn signals is supposed to be located? I noticed that the connectors for the front of the fuse panel had either been taken out or something, it's all boogered up, the relay won't even stay in the fuse panel. I found the second flasher relay laying in the trunk. It's plastic/blue in color. The one that is on the backside of the fuse panel is silver/metal.