Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tire shake with P/G (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30798)

TRChassis 08-08-2011 05:38 AM

Tire shake with P/G

We have an FED with a blown 542. Our convertor is a JW 10 " and is supposed to stall at about 5,000. We tried to leave at idle and just hit the throttle and it just went into tire shake instantly. We tried to stall it a little and come off the trans brake and it did the same. We don't use a tach so I can't give any stall info there, but the previous 8" convertor we balloned. Any way what my question is, shouldn't there be some slide of the convertor, because it acts like it just locks up period. I am an old lenco guy and am new to this convertor stuff so all you convertor wiz's help me out please. The convertor was just checked by JW before this race.
Thanks,
Rick

bbchevy 08-08-2011 07:09 AM

?

Rick,
I ALWAYS had My BLOWN/Alcohol converter set-up as TIGHT as they could make them!Thats what the Blower is For,........!Sounds to me Like your Tire Pressure is OFF?Or maybe take some B/V away and get After it a little HARDER!!
Hope that Helps,its NOT Much,but sometimes thats alls YOU Need?
Later
G 8)

TRChassis 08-08-2011 10:50 AM

Yeah, we had it real fat since it was all new, didn't want to cook anything. Did you leave from an idle on your set up or did you nail the convertor and use the trans brake?

Rick

bbchevy 08-08-2011 04:44 PM

?

Flat FOOT from a Dead IDLE 12-1500 RPMs,that Fat B/V could have ALOT to do w/it.............?
Later
G 8)

TRChassis 08-08-2011 05:31 PM

Re: ?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Flat FOOT from a Dead IDLE 12-1500 RPMs,that Fat B/V could have ALOT to do w/it.............?
Later
G 8)

Thanks for the info, we will lean the puppy out and put a little more timing in it.

Rick

chevyfireball 11-23-2011 10:48 PM

Tyre shakes caused by not enough power to the ground. If that convertor has a 5000 stall you shouldn't be leaving at 1500. I'd say put a transbrake in there and use that convertor the way its meant to be used.

hammertime 11-24-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by chevyfireball
Tyre shakes caused by not enough power to the ground. If that convertor has a 5000 stall you shouldn't be leaving at 1500. I'd say put a transbrake in there and use that convertor the way its meant to be used.

that is great advice, mine will shake your teeth coming off a idle also.

TRChassis 11-26-2011 03:52 AM

Well we have tried just about everything, except transbraking it to 5,000. We usually use about 3-4000 rpm. We have tried changing the low end tune up, different tires and tire pressures. The tracks in this area are not the best, but they do prep them pretty good. I guess what I was getting at is that if there is a possibility the convertor is just locking up from the launch, in other words should I send it back and have it set up for a "softer launch" (if there is such a thing). We used to run lencos and could adjust the clutch a little for the shake but I am lost with this convertor/tire shake.

Rick

markdunlap 11-26-2011 07:01 AM

Tire shack

It was said above, but how about the combo where they use a tight 1800 - 3000 RPM stall large diameter converter for certain blower applications? I would think using a transbrake with a blower could make tire shake worse.

bbchevy 11-26-2011 08:40 PM

Re: ?

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Rick,
I ALWAYS had My BLOWN/Alcohol converter set-up as TIGHT as they could make them!Thats what the Blower is For,........!Sounds to me Like your Tire Pressure is OFF?Or maybe take some B/V away and get After it a little HARDER!!
Hope that Helps,its NOT Much,but sometimes thats alls YOU Need?
Later
G 8)

TIGHT CONVERTER!!!!
Later
G 8)