Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   sbc timing? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25199)

whitey70ss 08-05-2009 03:09 PM

sbc timing?

I have a friend that seems to have all the answers :shock: and does not time his engine with a timing light he does it by ear :lol: I was just wondering what he was leaving on the table? thanks in advance.

bjuice 08-05-2009 03:26 PM

if its a street engine ..probably nothing...thats the way we use to set the timing back in the day..turn the timing up until it spark knocked then back it off a tad and lock her down.

if its a Race engine he could be missing a lot..these need to be on the Money for optimal performance..

FullTimeRacing 08-05-2009 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by bjuice
if its a street engine ..probably nothing...thats the way we use to set the timing back in the day..turn the timing up until it spark knocked then back it off a tad and lock her down.

if its a Race engine he could be missing a lot..these need to be on the Money for optimal performance..

+ if you take it apart dose it sound the same,mine just loud.

set it by ear then see were your at with a light so you know.JMO

OneBadGMC 08-05-2009 04:34 PM

Actually, you can set it by looking at the plugs... A deaf guy could do it.

kwkracing 08-05-2009 05:55 PM

When i first got to injected cars, i watched a guy assembly the front drive, flow some air threw the top hat and adjust the barrel valve, fire the new motor, move the timing by ear and done..... I didnt believe at the time he had the timing set by ear to what he said it was.... i checked it with a light and dead on.

Tod74 08-05-2009 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bjuice

DID it that way for years on my street car. Set it with a light to "correct" and slowed down.

oldandtired 08-06-2009 04:55 AM

We used to set the timing on street cars by riding on the fender with car in first gear. The driver would advise the RPM and you could definately feel the sweet spot.
Dave

andybyrd 08-07-2009 10:14 AM

Hey guys another ? about this timing thing, I'm not a Bad A*s Mech. but I can figure a few things out. But I always ask when in dout of something of this magnitude because timing is very Important, so let me ask this. if you were to set your timing @ 44 or 48 by mistake and it was perfect @38. would this cause severe engine damage or would the engine just not run right. Now I always use a light but I'm just curious what would happen. I know back in the olden days it was that if your timing was advanced to much it would run hot and have a draging on your starter when trying to start it after it heated up. and this was just on our steet cars with points and condensers
it was like you new you were to advanced to much so we would just back it off till it started when Hot and everything was ok, to make the ? simple what would happen if you advance your timing to much.
Thanks Andy

FullTimeRacing 08-07-2009 10:35 AM

pre ignition ( the ping) would hurt power and motor.

go to far and the motor will stall.

But I could be worng!