Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   titanium vs. stainless (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24216)

vegabond 05-12-2009 03:23 AM

titanium vs. stainless

What is the advantage of titanium over a stainless valve? My motor is 377 sbc with 18* gm heads. It needs freshened and i dont know if i want to spend the money for new tit. valves,it's just a bracket motor. what would i lose E.T. wise? Horsepower wise?

TS1955 05-12-2009 03:30 AM

I'm not an expert on this, but I've been told if you are not going to run your engine over 7000 rpms don't waste your money on titanium. I do know they make your valve springs live longer.

TS1955

vegabond 05-12-2009 03:43 AM

I do spin it preety high about 8,000 to 8,200 thur the lights.

TS1955 05-12-2009 03:49 AM

If the funds are there, then you probably should consider titanium. JMO

TS1955

bryanm 05-12-2009 06:40 AM

I have also heard of guys running hollw stemmed stainless valves as a replacement for titanium to help keep the weight down. I think I am going to try them on my new motor.

tcarda 05-12-2009 06:54 AM

From what I understand it is a weight issue on high rpm engines. On my BBC I have titanium 2.400 intakes and stainless 1.84 exhaust and the stainless exhaust valve is heavier than the titanium intake valve. I also run mine between 8000-8200 rpm.

CamBirdRacing 05-12-2009 09:11 AM

Why turn your bracket motor that high anyway?

oldandtired 05-12-2009 11:28 AM

Weight combined with strength. It's another level you can buy into.

Of course I will mention the obvious - run smaller stem (titanium) valves, with titanium retainers, a rev kit and smaller OD pushrods.

This is the diet package for dependibility and high RPM's.

Dave

Tod74 05-12-2009 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by oldandtired

Of course I will mention the obvious - run smaller stem (titanium) valves, with titanium retainers, a rev kit and smaller OD pushrods.

Dave

I respectfully disagree about the pushrods.
I don't care if I give up some weight... big pushrods help more than they could hurt...and the weight of the pushrod isn't really a factor since it isn't controlled by the spring...not directly.

curtisreed 05-12-2009 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tod74

Originally Posted by oldandtired

Dave

I respectfully disagree about the pushrods.
I don't care if I give up some weight... big pushrods help more than they could hurt...and the weight of the pushrod isn't really a factor since it isn't controlled by the spring...not directly.

X2 with Tod. Sometimes there is good weight.

Curtis