Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   any and all info for a Hotrod Chevy inline 6cyl (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20554)

olds48 04-16-2008 01:42 PM

any and all info for a Hotrod Chevy inline 6cyl

I have got and old front engine rail that was built in 1965.It is currently setup for a small block,but I would like to do something a little different(always do)and maybe go with an inline six.250 or 292.I'm not looking for a ton of power,but if I could make 500 horsepower I would be happy.I have never worked on an inline so I don't know what kind of power they can make or hold up to.I know that Ford's 300 is a really stout piece,and might go that route,but would like to stay GM if at all possible/feasible.

Any ideas,opinions,suggestions or even if you just want to make fun of me for considering it,please holler at me.I love my big blocks,but would really like to have a fresh new challenge to take on.Maybe learn something new.Let me know what ya'll think.Thanks Eric

mytmouz 04-16-2008 02:00 PM

Clifford Performance has a lot of the inline 6 stuff. Also, you might want to check with Speedway motors. Years ago I bought an old front engine dragger with some other stuff. It had the 6 banger and a set of M&H cheater recaps. It had the funky OLDS rear and was built out of muffler pipe. I stripped it 'cause I didn't have a big enough set... :shock:

olds48 04-17-2008 03:03 PM

Thanks,bud.Been meaning to check out Speedway.Never heard of Clifford.I'll check 'ek out :D

lively 04-17-2008 03:26 PM

i ran a 6 cylinder ford that had clifford parts many, many years ago----great products and development back then--should be the same now---A 6 WOULD BE GREAT FUN IN THAT SETUP :lol: :lol: :lol:

LIVELY

olds48 04-17-2008 04:15 PM

Cool!I really don't know much about sixes.Can you make some decent HP numbers with one ? 400-500HP???What kind of rpm's do they run?Will the stock rotating assembly hold up,and to how much power?

mytmouz 04-17-2008 06:49 PM

I saw a 292 six 4 speed combo run 12:50 1/4's in a 1968 Camaro for several seasons at a local track. It had race gas compression, a Clifford intake, not sure what header and a solid lift cam.

dcarr511 04-17-2008 07:23 PM

I've got a friend that has been building one w/ an old Paxton S/C.

And I know of a couple of others being run at Bonneville that make a BUNCH of power. As was mentioned ... Clifford Performance is the place. They've been doing it since the mid 60's at least

Tod74 04-18-2008 04:19 AM

my Uncle used to race street stocks years ago and he won the points with a 292 6 cylinder runing with v8's. I would get a steel crank though because he busted TWO cast cranks. ( and blocks)

292 = TORQUE MONSTER

dcarr511 04-18-2008 08:47 AM

I asked this question on a LSR mailing list and received these responses so far:

" Check out www.inliners.org In fact joining Inliners International maybe something he may enjoy. They can lead you to the best suppliers and guys who know a lot about the 194-292 ci Chevrolet/GMC engines...Good Luck "

" might look at Leo Santucci's book "Chevrolet Inline Six-Cylinder
Power Manual" Lots of parts are available from Sissell, Langdon's and many
others. Most of it stuff I would rather have then Cliffords. You
could also look into Inliners International as a source of inline
information. Many LSR guys are members. RF Inliner #9
"

" Glenn Self--Self racing engines Durant, OK. has been racing Chevy sixes for almost 50 years--- He has some STUFF and tricks to try to keep them from self destructing at high RPM from VIBRATION!!!!! "

And remember ... the LSR guys are making their stuff last for up to 5 miles per pass ........

And just to back up to my friends build for second .... he is just jazzed as all hell about running an inline 6 cylinder because " It has 7 main bearings " compared to 5 for a V8 .... and this coming from a guy who is a 53 year veteran of the Bonneville Salt Flats and has owned mulitple LSR Records and is a member of the SCTA's " 300 MPH Chapter of the 200 MPH club " .....

olds48 04-18-2008 09:48 PM

Man,this is exactly what I was looking for.Thanks and keep it coming.The friend I bought the rail from used to run with a guy that had a 250 with a 4-71 hung on the side.Ran low 9's in the quarter :D I've got access to a B&M 144,wonder if it will work for me???...