Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   User Feedback & Scammer watch (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   sorry about your lost Cujo (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17819)

bjuice 07-13-2007 05:37 PM

sorry about your lost Cujo

THIS IS A MOVED POST

cujo- i hate to hear that..i went thru that same crap 6 years ago..paid for a motor to be built...got it back the valve springs were shimed up so much..i said to my self this doesn't look right and took the motor to my reputable motor guy...come to find out...the motor guy used different size valves in the heads and shimmed up the valve springs..which would have coil binded...after re-checking the PTV clearance is only had 12 thousandths at full adjustment...so at that point i said tear it down....we did and ended up finding out the rotating assembly was out of balance by 2 oz ( crank)
pistons needed to be fly cut. new valve springs and valves had to be used..along with new valves.wrist pins wore out etc.etc....the bottom end was studded with main stud girdles, instead of using extra long studs to clear the girdled straps he backed out the studs out of the block enough to clear the straps....4 head bolts had been stripped out and had to be heli-cored and then we studded them instead.

basically the cost of another rebuild including the extra parts.....

i did the same as you a listened to a friend that i trusted that told me this 65 yr old man was a top engine builder and he WAS IN HIS DAY....but something happened BAD WITH HIM...HIS NAME IS CLIFF OBRIEN 'PERFORMANCE RESEARCH" 864- 295-3582 ( anyone welcome to call him up and tell him he's a piece)...Cliff was the stuff back in his day 60'S AND 70'S..he did the motors for TASKA FORD. and was the motor man for Jimmy King back in the 60's...the man had newspaper clipping's etc of him setting MPH RECORDS etc with his motors...

so i never really have shared this story but felt this was the right time and place and why not keep this thread going also...

thisb is where i learned to stick to my Regular engine guy and also start doing some of this stuff myself which i do...

i ended up losing about 7k on all this...beacuse i had to pay for everything 2 times....

so do not feel bad,,i think we all have been there...just learn from it..

Brian

mikeaton 07-13-2007 06:39 PM

engine builder

ouch brian! im not the best or even claim to be close to a great engine builder but i can hold my own and my arms are to short to pat my own back so dont even go there lol ive spent way to much time,cash to build my own stuff even bought equipment i dont use but 2-3 times a year but i know what is done to my engines if i went thru what you guys have been thru id have spent as you guys did, my equipment has paid for that"experience" so i guess im about "even" i try not to build for other people but i "help" them as best as i can even showing them how to grind seats,valves,etc...setting ring gaps racing engines are just a mistake away from a bunch of expensive junk so my hat goes out to all the racing engine builders/machinist etc... i wouldnt have your job on a bet!!! just my nickels worth mike in new mexico

zipper06 07-13-2007 08:17 PM

Where did this post come from i would like to read the origin of the post. I too build all my engines and some for friends because i have fears from even the best engine builders, like Mike say i also have equipment, avialable to me including CNC mills and CNC Lathes to make/do what i need to do to build an engine. I've been a machinest for almost 50 yrs. and nothing gets by me on any parts that i send outside. I see the post but did not see the lost.

Zip.

mytmouz 07-13-2007 08:34 PM

The dyno blow thread, Zip.

zipper06 07-13-2007 09:21 PM

Thanks, Tporter, for the link.

WOW!!! This is not easy, hope you guys don't cut my balls off for this post.

First CUJO, i too feel for your loss, but i'm not sure where the blame lies here. I know that a few people has put it on Dynoflow and i agree that his engines are not up to par as we have seen in previous post.
The problem lies that this engine was purchased from a second party who ran it for 25 passes, it didn't break on thoses 25 passes.
No one knows what the second party did or changed on the engine. I'm not defending the original engine builder in any way.
I donot want to make anyone mad but in my openion it's on the first owner not the engine builder, he should have know what he had.

Zip.

cujo 07-14-2007 05:27 AM

The owner stated he took very good care of the motor ,not until the problems came to light did he say the guy who passed away put the motor together . My friend who knows him said the guy was a good guy. I blame myself for letting this happen, because the guy said some things after i bought it that now make me wonder (i just had to vent a little). The only thing i don't have to repair or replace is the camshaft,push rods,rocker arms, belt drive. I LEARNED A VALUEABLE LESSON. Thanks for letting me tell my story guys .

chevguy65 07-14-2007 05:43 AM

cujo,

Thanks for sharing this information.

I feel for you, no one should get ripped off on ANY parts or engine they buy no matter what.

It truly sucks.

Is the person you bought it from willing to help you in any way?
Seems that if he is a stand up guy he will understand and do what he can to make things right for you.

davis419b 07-14-2007 05:43 AM

Zip, You are a pretty sharp ole cookie ! I think you are onto something. In my opinion i think the first owner does know something he is not telling.

#1 If the engine was 25 passes old it was put back together with alot of old parts. I would like to know how many runs were on it at the time it was freshened.

#2 It would be nice to know the extent of the freshen up. We already know that the pistons did not come off of the rods because someone would have picked up the loose wrist pins problem.

#3 It sounds like maybe the lifters were reused and after 25 passes it exploded a lifter or two. Not sure about the screw going through the engine. You would be surprised the damage roller needle bearings can do to an engine definately if you do not get them all out before you replace the lifter.

I could go on and on but i think you get my drift. This is just my opinion and i am not accusing anybody of anything. Thanks, Don

cujo 07-14-2007 06:03 AM

Thats another reason i got the motor my friend said the guy was real good with his stuff not abusing the motor. The machine shop guy said the motor was just plain ran to death and i was lucky it didn't come apart in the garage. I don't know what else to say its just bad business!

davis419b 07-14-2007 03:43 PM

Cujo, Maybe you will be lucky and buy an engine you can listen and maybe even watch run, then you can go home with the seller and pull it out before its blood gets cold. This is what i like about pulling your engine off the dyno and taking it home with you.

Good Luck, Don