Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   565 in g-body (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34014)

BigRev1 12-07-2013 11:24 PM

Are you talking about in the rearview mirror? Because that's the only way I will see them. LOL I like you, Road Kill you are very funny.

roadkill2 12-08-2013 08:43 AM

Actually I'm kind of serious . . Just don't want you to be disappointed when one of these new Street Rockets blow by you . . or worse, some AWD rice rocket with a big wing on the back and a loud Sub woofer . .

Just in case anybody out there is unaware, Ford, GM and Mopar are all putting out, on the streets, "Muscle Cars" that make the originals look like gramma's pansy station wagon . . Used to be, if you had a '64 Plymouth with either a 413 wedge with a cross ram or the killer 426 Hemi in it, you were a "Streetsweeper" . . And your car would run, probably, on a good evening, 12 flat at the strip. Today, that same car's NHRA SS/AH index is 9.30 I believe.

But in order to get a sub index pass out of it you'll probably invest about $125k in it and it's a "Race Car", period.

Now that that's been said, on Monday morning you can go down to your favorite car dealer and buy a brand new car that will, with little adjustment, run a quarter in less than 10.60. Mustangs, COPO Camaros, Corvettes and, yes Virginia, even Cadillacs, all are very capable of doing this. And some, after a little tweaking, are a lot quicker and faster!

And although there's no reason you can't compete with the new ones, just remember, if your rocket won't run a quarter in less than 11 seconds flat, it ain't a rocket . . It's just a cruiser with loud pipes . .

Jus sayin' . . It's a Jungle out there!

TheYellaBrick 12-08-2013 09:25 AM

Modern technological advances in metallurgy, air/fuel management systems, ignition, transmissions, traction control, all go up against the 'modern' technology of our youth....which is as already stated, crude, blued, and screwed on today's mean streets.
Personally, I'd make it my goal to just flat acknowledge those facts, and just be the fastest in the 'old school' playground. THAT still takes knowledge, ability, craftsmanship, desire,et al .....The new 'muscle cars' of today are fast right outa the showroom, just like OUR cars were in 'the day' .....at least we're not stuck with the garbage scows of the '80's !

BigRev1 12-08-2013 06:27 PM

Road Kill engine builder said at 3200 pounds car should run very very low 6s in the 1/8 mile on motor and on the spray 5.40. So, I think I might be able to keep them off.

My buddy just got a new Camaro Black Panther and I got to be able to put my foot in his as ( you what I mean ), then and only then every penny I spent will be all worth it for me. So I'm trying to get this done the first time, but if it's necessary I will put in a little more.

What you guys ( Road Kill and Race Junkie ) suggest? Should I tell the builder to find more hp. Like always thanks in advance.

zipper06 12-08-2013 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigRev1
Road Kill engine builder said at 3200 pounds car should run very very low 6s in the 1/8 mile on motor and on the spray 5.40. So, I think I might be able to keep them off.

My buddy just got a new Camaro Black Panther and I got to be able to put my foot in his as ( you what I mean ), then and only then every penny I spent will be all worth it for me. So I'm trying to get this done the first time, but if it's necessary I will put in a little more.

What you guys ( Road Kill and Race Junkie ) suggest? Should I tell the builder to find more hp. Like always thanks in advance.

Use this site to caculate all your theories under idea conditions, but i don't think it will run these numbers thru the mufflers.

Zip.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

roadkill2 12-09-2013 06:42 AM

Ain't that a wunnerful site? (Wallace racing calculators)

zipper06 12-09-2013 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by roadkill2
Ain't that a wunnerful site? (Wallace racing calculators)

HeHe, theories

Zip.

roadkill2 12-10-2013 08:07 AM

The only other answer is a Time Slip. They actually validate your efforts (or lack thereof)

Y'think?

BigRev1 12-10-2013 02:06 PM

When I get it going I let you guys know the numbers thru the mufflers. With full weight and with the car on a diet.