Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   considering a magneto..advice please (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21164)

olds48 06-22-2008 05:28 AM

considering a magneto..advice please

Just wondered what you guys are running,what you like and what you hate.Also,does anyone make a kit where you can run a rev limiter with a magneto?I can't find one.Do they hold up well?Thanks for your help.

Ya'll ever heard of a name brand "Krag"?

john858 06-22-2008 06:15 AM

never messed with mags,i use msd (can't beat it ),don't like mallory. good luck

zipper06 06-22-2008 07:43 AM

Mags takes more HP to run than a conventual dist. IE MSD. The reason that most sprinters run them is because they don't run batteries. I've run one in comparison to a MSD unit and saw no gain, nor did i notice any loss. The cost difference between a 6al setup and a mag is about the same if you're talking about the old style mag. i have a 6al and 7al and i don't notice any difference in them either. I don't use anything other than a 2 step and i know the 6al doesn't have all the whisles and bells that a 7al does.

JMO

Zip.

promod45 06-23-2008 07:53 AM

mag

what feul are you running, if you are running alchol then a mag is a good choice and also another good choice is the MSD 10plus it will fire even nitro and then you can hook up trans brake, rev limiter all with one box ..

olds48 06-23-2008 12:56 PM

Thanks guys.Considering a mag just to try and prevent dragging a charger and generator everywhere.Trying to make life easy!I'm not made of money,but anything I can do to be more reliable(no mo' dead batteries)I am willing to spend on.My local track is small and hurried.Don't have much time to charge and sometimes might have to hot lap it 2 or 3 passes.Just looking for something easy to live with.Don't want anything hard to get parts for,either.Just weighing my options.Thanks for any and all ideas!!

Murff 06-23-2008 07:41 PM

Haven't fired it yet, still fitting stuff together, but I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.murphysromance.com/images...2008%20Engine%

This is my 351W that's going in my '68 Falcon. $150 for the Vertex off ebay, $450 to have it completely rebuilt and 'amped up' by Spud Miller.

I don't have a charging system on the car and my battery just wasn't satisfying the MSD distributor and 6AL. When I turned my cooling fan on the engine RPM's dropped.

This is an injected alcohol set up.

Murff

Edit: Darnit, pic didn't post. Go to www.murphysromance.com and click on '68 Falcon on sidebar.

Murff

dcarr511 06-23-2008 07:58 PM

Unless your running forced induction or fuel I would stick with a MSD ( or ?? ) Ign. Mags are tested using 1 HP motors so that they cant drawing that much HP to run. But yes they do take more

Idle quality sucks and they tend to load up. They run great down track !! I ran one for maybe 14 yrs. and finally switched over to a MSD in 2005. I still have the Mag ... just in case.

There is a company called " wyotech " that makes a 2 step and RPM activated on / off switches for the Mallory stuff. I have the guys contact info if needed. He also offered a couple of things for the Vertex Mags too. I think Autometer makes stuff for the Mallory 3's & 4's.

Spud Miller is a great guy to work with as is Don Zig.

olds48 06-23-2008 08:05 PM

Thanks dcarr.Never heard that about poor idle.Wonder why that is?Ya'll reckon the Mallory is a good piece?I've always had a Mallory dist,going on 10 yrs now.Never one problem.Swap over to MSD and the durn battery gets low and leaves me sitting in the lanes with no fire.My old Mallory would fire up no matter how bad the motor was dragging to start.So far,not so impressed with MSD.6al works fine,but running straight off the box sucks......big time!!

jpshepley 06-24-2008 02:05 AM

Have you looked into the aussie company ICE ignitions, lots of guys use them here & have had great results. I'm sure they export to the states.

Josh

dcarr511 06-24-2008 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by olds48
Thanks dcarr.Never heard that about poor idle.Wonder why that is?Ya'll reckon the Mallory is a good piece?

Not much spark at idle .... And yes the Mallory's are good pieces. IMO.

bbchevy 06-24-2008 05:29 AM

Mags

Olds,
Go with a Mallory Mag!
If you use any Mallory below a Super Mag 3,then the Magnets will Need service Yearly!
If you go with a Super Mag 4(Which i would Recomend)They have a Rare Earth Magnet,which NEVER Needs Charging!
I have Mallory 2,3,4,and also a Very HOT #5!
As far as the Limiter,PSI Limiter is the way to Go!It sets directly under the Mag and can be set for your Limit!
You can get a Good 4 with Coil for about 400.00 to 500.00.The PSI will set you back about another 300.00 to 400.00.
I'll Take a Mallory ANY DAY over the MSD Stuff!!!!!!!!!!
Later
G 8)

dcarr511 06-24-2008 08:26 AM

I ran a Sprint Mag for 4 years and a Sprint Mag II for 10 years and NEVER had the magnets charged in either one.

I have been told the same thing many times by others.

If your running N/A on Gas / Alky anything above a Sprint Mag II is overkill and there will be nothing to gain.

Talk to Spud http://www.fuelinjectionenterprises.com/

or Ziggy ( Don Zig ) http://www.donzig.com/ ... either will give you the facts

Evidently Zig isnt taking any new work in ... and hasnt been for most of this year that I know of.

Good Luck either way you go !!

Tod74 06-24-2008 08:39 AM

besides all the stuff mentioned above...you can also sneak up behind someone with the mag and hold it up close to the back of their neck...and then give her a big spin to say hello. ...They will be really shocked to see you.... :D

at least that is what I've been told.

suicidebomb 06-24-2008 08:42 AM

dcarr511 and murph convinced me Spud Miller is a go to guy for mags, he is! Thanks, guys, he recharged my magnets and it's good as new. He's a delight to do business with, I really can't say enough good things about him. And yes Tod74, you can do that, ask my wife, she was mad at ne for a week after, wont do that anymore. I expect it's good for an a$$kickin if you do it to the wrong person! :wink:

Tod74 06-24-2008 08:44 AM

I thought about uising one too...for the exact same reason as olds48... charging is a pain.

olds48 06-24-2008 12:53 PM

Thanks guys.Alot of good info here.I really appreciate it.People in my neck of the woods have an unnatural hate for Mallory.I don't get it.Mine has always held up good.Ya'll talk about "servicing the magnets"?What does that involve and what does it cost??

hotrodharley 06-24-2008 06:57 PM

i'm going with a mallory super maglll myself.blown alky inj 540bbc.autometer makes a rev limiter for the mallory and the vertex mags..they are called AUTOMETER PRO CONTROL;;mine is part no#5309 it is for blown engines..

promodjohn 08-04-2008 07:07 PM

I ran vertex mags. for years have been using msd 7al for about 8 years the vertex mags are good I had no trouble with them.But by all means don't weld on the car with the mag in it you will distroy it!

sg1702 08-09-2008 03:49 PM

A mag is a dumb idea for a bracket car. Use a MSD7AL2 and put an alternater in the car. All my problems went away when I tossed my vertex back in the 80's

olds48 08-10-2008 06:25 AM

What kind of alternator are you using?I was just using a stock GM one wire,and it wasn't cutting it.

sc4405 08-13-2008 07:43 PM

mag

Run the MSD stuff, 7al2 or 3, and an East Coast mini alternator. You can hot-lap that dog for hours and it'll always start! I ran Vertex years ago, they have a very small coil and like others said very little spark energy when cranking. Don Zig and others converted them to external coils and hotter magnets - that helps but it's still a magneto. I also ran Mallory Super Mag III for a while, good units w/ an external coil and still kinda the choice for sprinters. Also once had an MSD 7X box that I swear could cut through 1/4" steel! You didn't want to get accidently hit with that! 8) JB

promodjohn 08-14-2008 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by olds48
What kind of alternator are you using?I was just using a stock GM one wire,and it wasn't cutting it.

Take a look at Jones Racing Alternators

olds48 08-15-2008 02:35 PM

Thanks guys

mopar1962 11-27-2008 04:51 AM

Too much upkeep and tend to have a lot of spark scatter.

petiepye 11-27-2008 08:12 AM

If you decide to stay with MSD or Mallory, I highly recommend that you go to an Optima Yellowtop battery. I, also, don't run an alternator, have electic water pump and fans, which I run between rounds to cool down fast, even a bottle heater, and can run four passes with no problem between charges. Awesome battery. Regenerates itself. I have thought of going to two of them, think I could run all day without a charge.