Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   User Feedback & Scammer watch (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   My Running Scammer Diary (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23870)

Scorpion1110 04-15-2009 07:50 AM

My Running Scammer Diary

Well I finally got bit by a Scammer on another site, after doing an incredible amount of pre-purchase due diligence. So now I get to go after him- And honestly I am looking forward to it. I have some new techniques that I'd like to try.

Would the Forum users be interested in a kind of running diary as I chase him, and the techniques that I am planning on using? If you feel it might be useful, I will do some regular posts on the issue, but I dont want to take time from the regular RJ users who need assistance as it did not happen on this site.

Let me know and if the feedback is favorable, then I will keep you regularly updated- that is if he hasnt already cried uncle. I have been at him for a few days lol.

Scorp

Harbone 04-15-2009 07:58 AM

thats a great scorp! that kind of information could be helpfull to a lot of people who get caught in that scenario. I am in, lets see if you can get some results.

blowninjected540 04-15-2009 08:33 AM

I would be interested to find out to handle something like that.

Kpcomb 04-15-2009 09:09 AM

Educate us Scorp!!!! These Scammers have to be stopped!!

Scorpion1110 04-15-2009 09:44 AM

I'll post a longer piece tonite, covering the due-diligence process I used-(not fool-proof), and then my approach to recovery as well as links to sites in the following days. If it is useful, perhaps the Mod's can put a sticky on it for other folks to use.

It took me about 5 minutes to locate his parents, who very kindly provided me with his exact location and phone number. different city from his mail drop-though I have a hunch thats his girl friend. I will be going after her next.

This evening I will be checking Court Records in Ohio. I have a feeling based on an email from him that he is involved in a divorce case, and I will hopefully be on the phone to his ex-wife and her attorney within the next 24 hours. I think a little joy from his bitter ex is in order dont you think?

Scorp

mopar1968 04-15-2009 11:07 AM

Yes i sure do :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: Go getem ''scorp''

'' JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

etdidit 04-15-2009 03:26 PM

Scammer Diary

DEAR DIARY---YES! Most of us can gain a lot from this. My situation is stalled out-going nowhere. ALTERD526 has cut off all communication and so far the web sites suggested to me to get an address on him have failed.
Thanks Scorp for being willing to help some scammer victims!.......E.T.

Scooterz 04-15-2009 03:52 PM

Sick em' Scorp!!

You are knowledgable about this kind of thing already.. you can really help some people who might otherwise give up to the bureaucracy & legal ramifications with pursuing a scammer. Go for it!! Scooter

Scorpion1110 04-15-2009 04:14 PM

Here is my First Diary Entry

First of all no gauratees that everything or anything will work for everyone. Second, you will have absolutely no leverage with anyone who doesnt have "skin in the game", so if you get an email from a Nigerian Scammer and then send money- write it off its gone.

Before I start in on my target scammer-let me outline the criteria that I use for internet deals.

If I want to buy something posted on a website I am looking for a few things:

1) Is he a website member? I want to know this because to join a website he provided the website personal info including a credit card. I know that later I might be able to get that info via complaint, subpoena or what not.

For example in the case of RJ it means more to me that someone is a member than who has made honor payments. A scammer could set up an elaborate scam and actually make some honor payments, but if he joined the site? He's revealed some info about himself and I WANT IT.

2) Does he have friends? Most websites have a friends option. I want to see he has friends, because I can go through them to get info on him. Friends dont like to be accomplices so they will either provide info, or they might message him. Peer pressure can be a wonderful thing.

3) I look for Board posts. If he is posting then he's part of the community, has built relationships and maybe friendships. Those things are hard to walk away from and generally won't be risked by a seller.

So if you meet those criteria, then I'll probably buy from you. My scammer met all three so he looked safe. However he wasn't.

So what did I do?

I pm'd him about my manifolds and received excuse one- I've been sick. So I waited a week, still no manifolds. I pm'd him again.

The next excuse I received was I shipped to the wrong address. I waited another week. Still no manifolds. PM'd again and got excuse I have had court issues and have been indisposed. OK, I wait another week- no manifolds.

Now its time to attack.

First thing I did was gather all info to see what I had. I had a name and and address and I could PM or email him through the site. Not enough info. I checked his profile and got his state and city. OK helpful.

I then did a www.whitepages.com look-up on the address I sent the check to looking for a phone number. I found one and noted it. I also saw that www.Intellius.com had some public records info on that person- OK more available info.

I then posted a message on a GENERAL bulletin board on the site (thats important-not a scammer board but general discussion), informing the population that I'd been scammed, asking for info and appealing to his friends to assist me as failure to do so would make them a partner to the scam. The general board is important because his friends might not visit the scammer board, but should hit the main board.

Guess what? I find out he's been doing it to others and his friends start emailing him (copy to me) and providing me info. I know have confirmed that his name isnt an alias. His friends dont like that he's been scamming others.

Back to Whitepages.com to look up his name, city and state. I get an address and phone number. Heres where it helps to be an actor.

I call the number and a guy answers. I say I heard that Mr. X is a great car builder and was wondering where I could get in touch with him to discuss a job for him to build a car. I find out I am talking to his parent, who volunteers all sorts of info and gives me another number for him.

Back to Whitepages to look up number- Its a cell and in a different city. OK, so I call from my office line and leave a message that I am interested in hirirng him for a hot rod build.

So now I know his name, where his parents live, multiple phone numbers, and have guessed that the woman I sent the check to is his girlfriend. I then go back and re-read the emails- I note a comment about Court - (Always chat up the seller and try to get personal info and write it down or save the email).

Now all states make court cases public record. I do a search, find his states database, more info and a plaintiff and attorney name available to be found if he's in Court- Big deal here- Why? because if he's in court, whatcha think his wife's attorney is going to do when he finds out that the other party is a reputed Internet Scammer?

If I cant get it from the database, then I need to call the Court to vouch records- The State AG might as well if the purported Scammer has a business.

Now I know a bit more- So I call the house of his parents and get little brother who tells me target is out. I tell him shame because I will be filing legal papers with regard to him, his Custody case and his girlfriend as an accomplice to fraud. Guess what?

My prey is on the phone. I then had at him, professionally, and in a very quiet low voice. My next post will expand a little; but I told him that Hell is coming for him and I was delivering it personally. When I mentioned my letter to his spouse and her attorney, he got very quiet.

More later, I've had my foot on his throat all day and am tired.

Scorp

BEAST477 04-15-2009 04:25 PM

Scorp this is great. Keep the pressure on him and keep us posted. Man i knew i liked you for a reason.

Good luck my friend.

blowninjected540 04-15-2009 04:35 PM

I LIKE IT !!! KEEP GOING.

Scorpion1110 04-15-2009 05:16 PM

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us...uiry-index.jsp

Take a look at this link. Its a direct link to current courtcases in MD- All court cases are I believe in a public records database for that state-

Take a look as its a good tool to track your Scammer quarry.

Scorp

topsportsman1 04-15-2009 07:21 PM

I'm all for it Scorp.We do value your input and help here at RJ.Sorry it has happened to you my friend,they just don't know who they are fooling with,LOL.

Thanks for all the help you do here helping others get whats theirs,Now go get these low lifes and set an example,and get what belongs to you.

Good luck

Tom

Scorpion1110 04-16-2009 08:36 AM

Scammer Chase day Two

Thanks guys as always for your support!

Here is another installment to the chase.

When I had him on the phone yesterday, he whined, and played the victim-Scammers usually do. You will note that many scammer posts have the complaintant saying the scammer is now a good guy. Thats because most people are decent and want to believe the scammer just made a mistake- well he didnt! He took your money and had no intentions of making good- he thought you would go away. The only reason he is making good is he got caught.

So while my scammer whined on the phone- I told him coldly that I will have his wife and her attorney on the phone tomorrow explaining that I was filing suit against him for Mail fraud a federal crime- since he was in court anyway-it would probably be admissable with regard to character. I believe at this point he wet himself.

He then whined about not having money for shipping, even though I'd sent it. I told him to borrow it from his father, or I'd discuss it with his parents personally since I had their number. He wet himself again-Obviously they werent involved. I also told him I'd go after his girl-friend for mail fraud as well.

The important thing is that I had collected all his info and knew everything about him- Thats because I collected data before I confronted him. Very important- You will catch them off guard when you share their own personal info with them.

Today I checked my posts- and found that several of his on-line friends have ditched him, and that the general forum has eaten him alive- remember he is a member with 500 posts so he values the site.

He told me he shipped today and to get off his back, as I didnt know what he'd been through. I told him he is not a victim but a common thief and I will stay on him until the other users pm me that they have gotten their parts or refunds. He also is quite unhappy that my signature for posts has his name and that he scammed me. I have been trying to post Where I can so that everyone sees he scammed me.

I got some emails today that he has contacted the other guys and has started to resolve the issue- we'll see.

The key points to remember for your Internet trading/buying:

Try to make sure that the seller has "skin in the game" he's registered, and is a member and poster-remember you gotta give personal info to join,

Once you think you have been scammed, start collecting personal info before you confront him-as soon as you confront him he will respond- you need to be able to catch him so you need info,

Be an actor, pretend to be another buyer when you first speak with him or a family member to collect info, everyone gets chatty when they think theres some coin coming in,

Do not ever raise your voice-it'll make it look like you are not in control. A calm low voice will scare the scammer a bit, because they wont understand why you are not mad,

Always make sure that they know you have free legal advice (whether its the truth or not), if it doesnt cost anything for an attorney then you are more likely to sue, and

Always check the local court cases for his jurisdiction- it always helps to see hwo else is chasing him and he'll freak when you know his court history and that you are attempting to contact the other attorney to share that you are suing the scammer for mail fraud.

At the end of the day, there are no gaurantees, but at least there is some option to tick off the scammer- and what you might simply find is that your only recovery is the satisfaction of making him squirm.

I'll keep you guys posted- btw, he has started calling me names so I think I've worked my way under his skin.

Scorp

Harbone 04-16-2009 09:16 AM

Rock On Scorp!!! :twisted:

suicidebomb 04-16-2009 10:27 AM

Sic em, Scorp :lol:

THERATTLER 04-16-2009 11:20 AM

DID i miss it??? :oops: what forum or site is he on where his friends are on him? :D

Scorpion1110 04-16-2009 02:52 PM

Revenge is a dish best served cold

Originally Posted by maniac
DID i miss it??? :oops: what forum or site is he on where his friends are on him? :D

Maniac,

I will provide a link and copies of his PMs shortly- However, I am using the promise of outing him on all sites as a leverage point with him so I don't want to disclose yet. If you listened real careful around noon today you would have heard the sound of a Scammer crying and whining- Music to my ears.

When I am finished with this guy I will post the links to the site and the PM chronology along with some comments at key leverage points-It might help when dealing with a scammer.

I also want to snoop around RJ to see if he might be a member- Its a needle in a haystack, but I figured I'd play a little look-see when things got quiet.

Scorp

outlaw256 04-16-2009 06:31 PM

damn scorp your good!!sure dont want to make you mad at me/ lol

BEAST477 04-17-2009 06:17 PM

Re: Revenge is a dish best served cold

Originally Posted by Scorpion1110

Originally Posted by maniac

Maniac,

I will provide a link and copies of his PMs shortly- However, I am using the promise of outing him on all sites as a leverage point with him so I don't want to disclose yet. If you listened real careful around noon today you would have heard the sound of a Scammer crying and whining- Music to my ears.

When I am finished with this guy I will post the links to the site and the PM chronology along with some comments at key leverage points-It might help when dealing with a scammer.

I also want to snoop around RJ to see if he might be a member- Its a needle in a haystack, but I figured I'd play a little look-see when things got quiet.

Scorp

Scorp, are you having fun yet??? :lol:

blowninjected540 04-19-2009 03:59 AM

Scorp, Thanks for the Info. Keep it up!!!!!!!!!! :)

hollowayshotrods 04-20-2009 05:59 PM

Come on Scorp, we are waiting for the next installment!! This is better than a John Grissom novel. :)

Scorpion1110 04-22-2009 03:02 AM

Out of town on business guys- but I did find a minute to rattle his morning chains.

It seems to upset him that I contacted the head of one of his site Social Groups and suggested he get booted. Oh thats right I forgot to tell him that,-hopefully that will happen a little later.

More over the weekend- racing to Carlisle for the Show.

Rudy, what's your number? I need to call you-PM me.

BTW, my next post is how to get an attorney to reverse a subpoena :) That was last weekend. For some reason she decided she didnt want me to testify :D

Scorp

Scooterz 04-22-2009 09:54 AM

Scorp:

This is a good documentary that will help many. It is a fairly simple plan that just requires due dilligance & consistencey. I like the fact that you mention/stress staying cool... but keeping constant pressure on him. Pulling out more knowledge as you need it to hold him accountable. Great idea checking the court data base too... putting more pressure & inflicting pain upon an existing issue... making it worse. It is simply a diabolical way of justice.... I LOVE IT!!! Dirt-bags need to pay!!. Scooter

Scorpion1110 04-25-2009 06:44 AM

manfolds got here

Gentlemen:

I am going to tell you why you should be very proud of the Mods we have here, Tom, Brian and Perry.

The Site Admin on the Site where I have been chasing my Scammer is bustin my chops because I have been too hard on the Scammer (he has promised to make right and has now posted a delivery confirm.)

He said I made threats when I told the Scammer to be careful in what he posts - he called me out while I was out of town lol.

The Scammer shipped on 04/17/09 after I paid him on 02/23/09 and I have had a zillion other guys tell me he did the same to them. The Site Admin says I was rough on him.

Our Mods, the users and this Forum are simply the best on the Web.

Just back from threed days of car parts, sun (and rain) and lotsa beer in Carlisle PA.

I'll do a wrap-up on this later.

Scorp.

fla1976 04-25-2009 11:20 AM

Scammer

Scorp,
I think you missed your calling in life. You should have been an official scum bag chaser. Glad you got the dirt bag to man up. You have probably helped a lot of people with this sticky. Also pleased that RJ didn't get soft and let the low life get a pass on this site. There are simply too many unethical thieves out there looking to separate a guy from his hard earned money. The Seals can't take them all out!!! Keep up the good work.

BEAST477 04-26-2009 04:44 PM

Good job Scorp, maybe that low life will think twice before trying to scam the next guy. Chalk up one for the GOOD guys. Thanks Scorp. 8)

thjts 04-30-2009 12:32 AM

Brilliant! Well done Scorpion.

I got done by a business that used to advertise on this web site. I chose them after contacting them for prices on parts and received VERY good customer service. I placed the order, provided my credit card, and received an invoice showing payment completed.

Because I am overseas, I asked for the items to be sent to a shipping broker in CA for shipping here. To cut a long story short I was finally united with my shipment 4 months later, except, it wasn't all there.

I contacted the company and received a promise to look into the missing item. That was it. After that I started chasing them, emailing, calling, nearly got it resolved, but that came to naught.

I contacted my credit card company expecting some result from them, that was a waste of time (note to self, it's a bank, they don't care even if they say they do). So like you, I got a little cunning. I decided to tell everyone about what had happened.

I noted all the companies they advertised on their web site and wrote to all those companies explaining the situation. It involved some VERY big name companies in America, including a couple that are multinational. I received some replies, and heard that those companies had been in touch with the thief to find out what was going. Whether he placated them or not, it meant that he was getting a bad name with those big name companies.

I also put an advert on this web site with the same keywords as their's so that it came up in searches near their advert. In mine I explained what had happened. Shortly after that they stopped advertising here, and their web site has closed down.

I don't know if the business is still operating, perhaps under a new name, but at least I was able to do something even if I didn't get my money back.

Tod74 05-04-2009 03:11 PM

Scorp > scumbag scammer

hollowayshotrods 05-05-2009 01:00 PM

Scorp,
Progress report on your scum bag!

BTW, I emailed you my phone number.

Later

Scorpion1110 05-14-2009 05:39 PM

Hi Guys-

Just wanted to let you know, I havent forgotten about RJ, the Forum or this thread. Just wrestlin' with some health issues and will be for a bit longer (bout a month)

But I have a great Doc and she's going to fix me up better that ever.

Stay on the bad guys gentlemen :)

Scorp

suicidebomb 05-14-2009 11:57 PM

Hang tight scorp, we're pulling for you.

Harbone 05-15-2009 05:39 AM

Get well Scorp!!

MEMRACING62 05-15-2009 12:56 PM

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF AND GET WELL SOON, LOTS OF BAD GUYS OUT HERE TO KEEP AN EYE ON!! MIKE

BEAST477 05-15-2009 01:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your health. Hope its not too serious. Get well soon Scorp.

fla1976 05-15-2009 02:45 PM

Get well

Sorry to hear you not 100% right now, hope you recover quickly and completely. God speed.

mopar1968 05-15-2009 06:53 PM

Get well soon, we need you back here, we are doing all we can :!: :!:

''JUST MY TWO CENT'S WORTH''

http://www.racingjunk.com/profile/163312

Scooterz 06-04-2009 04:22 PM

Hey Scorp-

I pray for God to heal your issue... to work through the doctors & lift you up mentally & physically. Keep diggin & God Speed. Scooter

Scorpion1110 06-05-2009 07:32 PM

Rigsby, Mopar :)

Thanks guys :)

Surgery in a few weeks and then some recovery.

Been pretty tired lately (month or so)-so haven't done much except a quick visit to make sure you guys are taking care of the bad guys.

Good thing I took care of my scammer before this stupid surgery thing got crazy.

Couple more tests, and then some cuttin and stitchin and everything should be good.

Be well gentlemen,

Scorp

BEAST477 06-06-2009 10:00 AM

Good to hear everything is going to be alright.Get well my friend.