PDA

View Full Version : wtf is up with schools

dragonmaster093
09-25-2012, 07:41 PM
the school my son goes to is adding a big school wifi system and are hinting that parents have to go out and get the kids wifi so they can do there school work. they have been going more and more towards doing everything on line and the last couple yrs math class he had to have a fancy calculator. told him one day to do his math the "old fashion way" he couldnt because they taught them to do it with a calculator and not long hand. wtf. these schools imo are screwing the kids so bad if the dont have a computer or printer or calculator or some other techno tool they cant function.hell they give home work that can only be done on line and i think its B.S. sorry for the rant but needed to vent ps he isnt even in high school

outlaw256
09-26-2012, 03:49 AM
id be at the next parent teachers meeting .give them the damn bill for one. this world is going to shi# because we are letting them do what the hell ever. time to stop this crap. if they dont or wont teach them then its up to the parents to do it.become invovled with what they are doing. or you might have a kid that can do anything without a computer.

09-26-2012, 04:16 PM
Times are a changing! They don't stay the same just because you want them too.
The kids do, and will, learn different things/ways than we did. I'm sure you want better for your children than what you had, like the rest of us! I assume you have dial up now. I don't think wifi is all that much more to help further your children's education, they will thank you later. Unfortunately, now days if you don't keep up you will fall by the wayside.
And there is always home and private schools if the current school system don't work for ya!

JMO,
Good luck in your endeavour!

dragonmaster093
09-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Times are a changing! They don't stay the same just because you want them too.
The kids do, and will, learn different things/ways than we did. I'm sure you want better for your children than what you had, like the rest of us! I assume you have dial up now. I don't think wifi is all that much more to help further your children's education, they will thank you later. Unfortunately, now days if you don't keep up you will fall by the wayside.
And there is always home and private schools if the current school system don't work for ya!

JMO,
Good luck in your endeavour!

i think ya missed the point and no id dont have dial up i have wifi. my points are as follows.
A. they are talking about adding to schools supplies a wifi device like a tablet lap top ect (even a smart phone)
B. if ya dont know how to do math with out a 100+ texas insterment calcularor how are ya gonna servive the real world.
C.i dont have a problem with them teaching computer tech class or what ever they call it yr to yr but when your english paper is looked up and printed verbatum from a web site (per instrucrions) no actual writing or anything how is that learning?

09-27-2012, 04:26 AM
I probably couldn't do half the stuff WITH a calculator that they do now.
I raised 4 girls and it seems like they all learned differently. And by the way our county school supplied a laptop (macbook) to the students to use at home and school.
I am not arguing with you, it's your kids, just saying that is the way it is now, like or not.
Not being a smart ass but again, there is always home school!

oldandtired
09-27-2012, 05:08 AM
I had to use a slide rule in school. Anyone else do that?

mopar1968
09-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Slide rule :?: :shock: :shock: What's that :lol: :lol: Just kidding :!: :!:

Mark

Scooterz
09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Well boys, I hear all of ya on this subject... it is also the schools cutting back on things too. Less teaching/less labor needed. Public schools cut many programs... I had "auto-shop"... kiss that goodbye. Hell, some schools are going to 4 day weeks & longer spring/fall vacations too.

All of this means you have 3 choices. Home school, Private school, or Public. As much as the tuition is for private school, I pay it every month & give up other things to afford it. It is painful... but I know it is the right thing for my kids... the public school here has EIGHT Kindergarten class alone!!!! NO THANKS.

Tough subject. No God in public School???? get in a scrap & the cops come to press assault charges??? Bring a Lego action figure gun to school & get expelled??? REALLY??? Metal detectors to come inside??? I pay good money for private school cuz I am not a very good teacher myself; my kids would be in trouble if I had to home school them! LOL!! I have to grin & bear it. :( :(

MEMRACING62
09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I had to use a slide rule in school. Anyone else do that? I THINK I WAS SMACKED WITH ONE A TIME OR TWO. :P

fast75vega
09-27-2012, 04:21 PM
I had to use a slide rule in school. Anyone else do that? I THINK I WAS SMACKED WITH ONE A TIME OR TWO. :P

thats what i was thinking too ... i been chocked out by a few teachers too cause i was fighting in the halls ..... they cant do that shit now .... lol

outlaw256
09-28-2012, 03:08 AM
sorry 482 but i think you missed the point or i went the wrong direction with it. but if kids use a calculater in school how in the hell are they going to learn any m,ath. ever go to a story and hand a cashier some extra change to get back a even # of coins or a solid $ bill.they look at it now like why did you give me these exta pennies. or this extra nickel. they can not make change without the register to tell them how much to give. i do it because its fun to watch them go oh shit now what....loland the school system is spending youmoney to teach kids how to push buttons. we will lose in the end.but what im was talkin about is them handing you a note and saying go spend this amount of dollars to get your kid this hi tech gadget that will make him only more dependent on tech. and yes time does change but not always for the better.thats why im having the troubles im having todasy. i hate this world we live in today. i miss the my day. i want to go back. and im going back and no one can stop me. lol

09-28-2012, 12:24 PM
I'm not trying to give Sam a hard time!
Maybe I did miss the point, but when my girls went to college they could use the calculators and stuff while they were testing, because not all of it was about the right answer but also how to use the tools to arrive at it. I guess the expense is part of the 280,000 dollars per child they say it takes to raise a child now from birth, to the age of 18. A Lot different than when we were kids to say the least. Anyway that's all I was saying. It is what it is, not just for Sam, but everyone. Yes I have seen the store employees that can't count a lick. But hopefully with a good education his children won't be there taking money, they will be at a good job making money like my girls (thankfully). They are all very smart (after their mother) and they use computers everyday at their jobs. I would like it to be like it was too, just ain't gonna happen. LoL

dragonmaster093
09-28-2012, 10:03 PM
my boy gets pissy with me cause i show him how to you pen and paper to come to the answer that the computer or calc tells him is right. he gets mad cause i wont printer ink to print off what he researches on the net. i make him read it, take hand notes and and then write his papers out. im prolly a bid A hole but if the final draft isnt neat penmenship it get redone. i get from him that the penmenship doesnt matter and from some of the stuff he has snuck by me it shows they dont carre about penmenship or hard work anything like that. just that the paper is done andcorrect answers. i realize im the young pup here at 38 but has the system gone that far down hill? and ive had words with the officials at the school and they are doing this as a conveinence. the kids can do theyre work easier and easier for the teachers to remotely watch and help. imo just pure laziness cant be bothered with walking around the class and take time to help the kids as they need it face to face. and if my thoughts and veiws are wrong so be it. jr high is no place for kids to be using high tech products that a parent has to fork out the hard earned cash. i sure as hell dont have the extra 300-500 to buy him a laptop or a tablet that can be lost stolen and or broken. remember JR HIGH SCHOOL KIDS now any one with that kind of "extra cash" laying around feel free to pick one up for him. i have now issues of the the shool teaching how to use the net for reseach ect but to keep telling me each yr i need to spend more and more for calcs computers ect is the bs i dont like or think is right. now when i was in jr high computers were just starting to hit schools and we got limited useage and by the time my younger brother made high school they were widley used but even then schools didnt rquire parents to buy them and go get (aol back then) calc were optional in high school