PDA

View Full Version : shudder at high rpm shift

erikparker
08-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Hello every one :D New to this site so take it easy on me. I have a rebuilt ford 360fe that shudders at high rpm(3800-4000) when shifting from first to second gear. I have no idea what may cause this! Ill give some quick facts/spec on the 360.

.30 over
Eddelbrock performer intake
eddelbrock 750 carb
new timing set installed @4 deg advanced
new cam and lifters adv duration 272/282 gross lift .460/.480
9 inch rear end with 3.33
stock dis
TCI streat fiter c6 trans with 2000 stall converter

Any help advice would be great. Thanks in advance.!! :D

TheRabbit
08-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Shudder like skipping or out of balance?
Never messed with a 360 Ford, but the 429 and 460 have or don't have a weight on the flywheel that will cause one to vibrate if you don't have the right balancer.

erikparker
08-24-2010, 10:55 AM
Hello, The shudder feels like the thing is going to die. If you let off and shift into third/drive everthing becomes normal. It almost feels like a timing or fuel thing but I am unshure. Im running a 95gpm fuel pump. The heads may even be bad. They have about 80k on them. I dont know what to do or where start? :( :?: :!:

Any help will be nice. Thanks for the reply. :D

TheRabbit
08-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I would start with making sure it's getting fuel. Check fuel filter / pump, carb and distributor and make sure you do not have any vacuum leaks.

curtisreed
08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Hello, The shudder feels like the thing is going to die. If you let off and shift into third/drive everthing becomes normal.

This makes it sound like fuel is a possibility. I know zero about Edelbrock carbs but your float level could be low or there could be a restriction somewhere in your system.

Curtis

erikparker
08-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Ill check out the fuel system as well as the flot levels. Ill put out a post to let you all know what i find. I wount really know until our test tune night. Well maybe ill have my self a test and tune night on some back road???

Thanks for the help!!! :D :D :D

cepx111
08-26-2010, 09:52 PM
Hello, The shudder feels like the thing is going to die. If you let off and shift into third/drive everthing becomes normal.
could be a restriction somewhere in your system.Curtis

X2 Sounds like a classic case of a stopped up fuel filter to me, that or a bad fuel pump not keeping the pressure.

Goodluck>Cp

TheYellaBrick
08-27-2010, 02:29 PM
What RPM is this 'shuddering' taking place ?

To me, 'SHUDDERING' means something out of balance and comes and goes sorta gradually and can be felt in more of a seat of the pants way
'STUTTERING' IE; 'MISSING' has a more defined start/stop is an AUDIBLE sensation, and is a fuel/ignition issue.

erikparker
08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I dont think its out of ballance. I think we are on to somthing with the fuel system. I havent had achance to work on it this week. hope to have some time this weekend to check out the fuel system. The shudder/miss/stumble only happens at 3800 to 4000 rpm. @ idle and off idle it is fine. It ony happens when im on it hard and shifting out of first. We will see what happens.

Thanks for all help. :D

lively
08-28-2010, 07:47 AM
AND your sure you have not got a tranny issue :cry: :cry: :cry: ???????

erikparker
08-28-2010, 06:33 PM
AND your sure you have not got a tranny issue :cry: :cry: :cry: ???????

Well I hope I dont The Trans Is New.

TheRabbit
08-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Did it do it before the trans was rebuilt / replaced?

erikparker
08-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Did it do it before the trans was rebuilt / replaced?

No, The old trand had no second gear and sliped first and third. The c6 in it now is a TCI supper streat fighter.