PDA

View Full Version : i swear im bout to just give up

bowhay
09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
this just sux
ive built quite a few motors but the only ones that always f**k up are mine.......i dont even get it

just finished my 383 had copper head gaskets on it, so i siliconed the water jackets, and i was not stingy with the silicone cus i didnt want no leeks. but guess what.......got water in the oil and water leakin from the pasenger side head gasket. i dont even know if its worth it nemore

but my question to yall is.......do i need to buy new gaskets or can i reuse the copper ones, ive never used them before so i dont know,
and if i can is there some kind of trick to siliconing these things, cus i have no clue what i may have done wrong

TS1955
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Just clean them up, and I would spray them with copper coat and put them back on.

TS1955

bowhay
09-06-2009, 01:42 PM
if i use that copper coat will i still need to silicone them?

bowhay
09-06-2009, 01:48 PM
and are u not supposed to just use black high temp rtv
cus i was just told that there is a specific kind

TheYellaBrick
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Too MUCH Silly Cone might be your leakage prob.
ANYtime you use silicone, use it VERY sparingly. Too much and it just squeezes out into water/oil jackets/passages, as well as prevent proper compression/sealing of the gasket.

Tod74
09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Why are you bothering with copper head gaskets on a low compression street truck for? :? I have ran fel pro 1017-1 with 14 to 1 compression.
Just use regular FEL PRO GASKETS and make your life much easier. jmo

kwkracing
09-06-2009, 02:38 PM
Unless ur running a big blower or turbo you dont need a copper head gasket. Clean all the silicon out of your motor and put some fel pro on and be done.

I use the redish orange rtv on my coppers and dont have a problem and re used the gaskets many many times with no problems.

Are you using head bolts or studs?

FullTimeRacing
09-06-2009, 03:48 PM
[quote="bowhay"]this just sux
ive built quite a few motors but the only ones that always f**k up are mine.......i dont even get it

this is yo problem :arrow: and i was not stingy with the silicone cus i didnt want no leeks.

be stingy

bowhay
09-06-2009, 11:09 PM
i used copper cus i needed a thick gasket
and i didnt glob the rtv on there. i just meant that i made sure to put a good bead around the water jackets,
but i still need to know, will that copper coat stuff take the place of the rtv silicone?

oldandtired
09-07-2009, 05:10 AM
i used copper cus i needed a thick gasket
and i didnt glob the rtv on there. i just meant that i made sure to put a good bead around the water jackets,
but i still need to know, will that copper coat stuff take the place of the rtv silicone?

Do you need a thick gasket to lower compression or to help with intake position?

A 4.200 x .046 ROL gasket is 10.2cc
A 4.200 x .051 FelPro is 11.2cc

Dave

ashbros
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Why are you bothering with copper head gaskets on a low compression street truck for? :? I have ran fel pro 1017-1 with 14 to 1 compression.
Just use regular FEL PRO GASKETS and make your life much easier. jmo

x2 copper is atleast half a hundred more expensive.

You can reuse the gasket providing to don't damage it when you remove it.

Slack up on the silicone. Why are you putting it on your head gaskets anyway?

Clean everything off really good and spray the copper gaskets with copper coat and install the gaskets, Its that easy....

kwkracing
09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Its not that easy. Pm Me if you want some help