PDA

View Full Version : inline diode from transbrake. why

andybyrd
06-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm new at this so I don't know anything about these diodes. I could'nt get my two step to work with my brake so I bipassed the diode that was in the line and it worked perfect. so what is the diode used for and is it a must. Thanks for any help.
Andy

curtisreed
06-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Not sure if it is the case with yours, but I have a diode wired up so I can back up, (pro brake), with a switch other than my normal transbrake switch and it does not back feed into the delay box starting the delay.

Curtis

andybyrd
06-21-2009, 07:28 AM
Thank you dooracer.I have not tryed it yet but I bet thats what its for.
Thanks Again Andy

Tod74
06-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I have a question...why is it a pro brake you need to hold a button to back up? what is the difference between a pro brake and the other? My powerglide has a COAN brake in it and I can back up just by putting it in reverse.

andybyrd
06-21-2009, 07:40 AM
dooracer I may have read your post wrong. are you saying you have two switches, one to back up with and one for the transbrake, or one switch with a wired in diode thats used for the transbrake and for backing up. Mine only has one switch. and now that i've cut the diode out I don't remember exacatly but would it go between the two step box and the button. and Todd I don't know that answer someone smarter than I will have to answer that.
thanks Andy

oobob
06-21-2009, 03:49 PM
With a pro brake, the fluid has 2 ways of releasing the pressure applied to the reverse, verses 1 way with a bracket brake. This is the reason a probrake gives faster reaction times.

curtisreed
06-21-2009, 04:59 PM
dooracer I may have read your post wrong. are you saying you have two switches, one to back up with and one for the transbrake, or one switch with a wired in diode thats used for the transbrake and for backing up. Mine only has one switch. and now that i've cut the diode out I don't remember exacatly but would it go between the two step box and the button. and Todd I don't know that answer someone smarter than I will have to answer that.
thanks Andy

Andy,
Yes I use 2 different switches, one for launching and a different switch for backing up. The reason I use different switches is the one for backing up is not momentary so I can use both hands and I don't have to hold the transbrake switch down. I am not exactly sure how yours is wired or what it was used for I just added what I use one for.

A pro brake also keeps you from getting the car into reverse on the big end if you put it into neutral because the solenoid has to be energized even if the shifter is in the reverse position.

Curtis

andybyrd
06-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Ok. Thats what I thought you said. and that sounds like a great Idea. my other car and this one now I bought both cars already built and they were both the same one button for the transbrake and reverse. but now what you are saying about the reverse makes alot of sence how would the two step know not to activate the transbrake when your only wanting reverse. this car may have had two switches and the man took one out being he was not useing the brake anymore. this switch worked perfect for reverse but it would not stall at the chip size. it would stall at the converter size at 5500 rpm. now that I cut the diode out it will stall at what ever chip I put in it. But I have not tryed reverse yet.
Thanks for all yalls Help: Andy Byrd

johnracer
06-24-2009, 04:29 PM
I've thought about installing a relay to do the same thing, but a diode would be much easier. Does having the diode in the circuit change the delay you run in the box? I'm sure there's some resistance through the diode and was wondering if it would have any effect.....
Johnny

curtisreed
06-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I've thought about installing a relay to do the same thing, but a diode would be much easier. Does having the diode in the circuit change the delay you run in the box? I'm sure there's some resistance through the diode and was wondering if it would have any effect.....
Johnny

Honestly I couldn't say, I have had it wired that way since I built the car. But after a couple of time trials you should know if you need to roll some out if it does cause a different delay.

Curtis

johnracer
06-24-2009, 06:24 PM
I'll install one and post the results here. Thanks, neat idea....

zipper06
06-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Andy i'm not sure how your system is setup but most pro brakes, you have to have the delay box turned on, you don't need #'s in the box but it has too be turned on before the car will back up by pressing the trans brake button. I'm assumming the diode bypasses the delay box. In my case i like to leave on the last yellow (because i'm slow on the top yellow) so i keep no #'s in the delay box, but have it turned on so the transbrake will work. I have an electric shift valve body in a PG, but i don't have a clue what would happen if you're running a solenoid shifter or air activated shifter.
The good thing about useing the transbrake button to back up is that even if the shifter malfunctions and you happen to hit reverse down track (if you are manuel shifting) it will not go into reverse because the button is not depressed.
Just some food for thought.

Zip.