PDA

View Full Version : starting prob

Strick420
05-17-2009, 09:42 AM
hey guys I got a 89 mustang gt, with a problem the car will start and run but when I turn it off it won't start back up. could it be a power or a heat problem any help would be great thanks guys

TopspeedLowet
05-20-2009, 05:15 PM
If you have added headers there is likely a heat problem with one of the primaries coming too close to the starter without heat shielding. If you do not have headers then the stock heat shield may be missing if it is a heat problem. You could also have a tired starter that is heat challenged. I have used paint thinner cans cut into sheets to wrap around exhaust pipes that come close to the starter to provide rust free heat shielding. I tie them to the exhaust with monel wire or stainless .063 tig wire. These are the most common heat problems involving the starter. If you have too high a timing setting, then the engine will roll over much harder when hot and cause a nearly no crank condition. A flooded engine will hydraulic if too much fuel is in the cylinder at restart if for instance the power valve is blown and filling the engine after shutdown. Leaking injectors can contribute to hard cranking if you do not have a carb. Do any of these causes fit your problem?
Bruce

mavrick11211980
10-13-2009, 08:15 PM
well if tat ont fix it try checking the crank sencer it coud e craked or the ir ap gets to ide fom the vibrtion of the moter

curtisreed
10-14-2009, 03:48 AM
well if tat ont fix it try checking the crank sencer it coud e craked or the ir ap gets to ide fom the vibrtion of the moter

What did he say :?: :?: :?: :?:

suicidebomb
10-14-2009, 05:16 AM

As DrivingMissDD would say, press one for english :)

Scooterz
10-15-2009, 07:41 PM

OK, let me take a crack at that post: He is saying that the CPS sensor could be cracked (then I lost track on this part)causing vibration from the idle of the motor. (maybe vibration/crack/CPS??)

Either way, good luck!! Scooter

oldandtired
10-16-2009, 07:17 AM

Anyone want to guess his birthday?
Dave

suicidebomb
10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Well-I'll-be-dipped! I didn't catch that. :)

TheRabbit
10-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Wrong. 11211980 is the day he graduated from Harvard. Just kiding, I never made it that far either..
His post sounded like the old guy from the movie Water Boy!! LOL

Scooterz
10-20-2009, 01:08 PM
You mean Billy Bouchea`??? Dat Fool can play sum futball dough.

TheRabbit
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
No, more like the old guy. You know the old guy with the round brim hat that nobody could understand. lol

cepx111
10-20-2009, 09:56 PM

C,mon guys this was way too easy.....
Translation:

If that didnt fix it try checking the crank sensor, it could be cracked or the air gap gets to wide from the vibration of the motor.

Actually, it's not bad advise for a crank sensor car, however a 89 GT is not.

More than likely it's the module / stator in the dist, either replace the dist as a unit or do it yourself and save a little dough.

Remove the dist, press the pin out of the dist gear and then press off the gear and replace the stator and module.

TIP: you'll need a deep well 1/4 drive snap on 5.5mm socket or equivalent.

Goodluck, Cp

DirkaDirka
10-20-2009, 11:06 PM

C,mon guys this was way too easy.....
Translation:

If that didnt fix it try checking the crank sensor, it could be cracked or the air gap gets to wide from the vibration of the motor.

Actually, it's not bad advise for a crank sensor car, however a 89 GT is not.

More than likely it's the module / stator in the dist, either replace the dist as a unit or do it yourself and save a little dough.

Remove the dist, press the pin out of the dist gear and then press off the gear and replace the stator and module.

TIP: you'll need a deep well 1/4 drive snap on 5.5mm socket or equivalent.

Goodluck, Cp

Only a true redneck can understand that :twisted:

suicidebomb
10-21-2009, 04:58 AM
CP, for a chevy guy, you know an awful lot about Fords. :P

And you only bought one vowel.

cepx111
10-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Psssssst... Hey Earl, don't tell nobody, but I used to be a Ford guy, :shock: :shock: :shock:

suicidebomb
10-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Your secret's safe with me CP. :wink:

BEAST477
10-22-2009, 04:09 AM
Psssssst... Hey Earl, don't tell nobody, but I used to be a Ford guy, :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wont tell anyone either. You can trust me. :wink:

cepx111
10-22-2009, 09:18 PM
I think the cat is out of the bag now, jezzzzzz

C'mon guys, let me have it....

DirkaDirka
10-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Well I cant say you got smarter going away from Ford. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: