PDA

View Full Version : bbc vs. sbc

txhunter69
04-03-2009, 07:06 AM
i have a problem. i have a 454 and a 350 but i don't know which a should build up any suggestions?

CamBirdRacing
04-03-2009, 07:47 AM
BIG-BLOCK. of course I never really did like small blocks. Yes it's more expensive parts wise but power to $ is cheaper. Big blocks are also heavier, so you would need stiffer front springs. If you do it right, big blocks will live longer mostly b/c you can run a taller gear and turn them at a lower rpm.

txhunter69
04-03-2009, 07:57 AM
thanks cause alot of my friends told me a would be dumb to waste my time on the big block but they're all small block and nothing but haha and do you know much about transmissions

I972Nova
04-03-2009, 08:29 AM
You couldnt pay me to build a big block...

Everybody has their own preference though.

To me, Small blocks are for Racing and Big blocks are for Towing.

Just my .02

chrisr
04-03-2009, 09:12 PM
I have ran both and liked both. I can take the same amount of money and make a bbc faster than a sbc but I have heard people say just the opposite. It all depends on what YOU want not us or your friends. I will probably not build any more small blocks due to the fact that I love those cubic inches :D

johnracer
04-04-2009, 03:52 AM
I ran small blocks for years and loved em. Bigger is better though. Outran a bunch of supposedly "900 hp" bigblocks with my 550hp 406.........anyway, IMO, up to 550-600hp, a sbc is the way to go and expense is about the same. Beyond that, I'd go bigblock. Way easier to make power and probably cheaper in the long run.
Like I said, I've been a sbc fan forever but got the chance to buy a low run RM522 from a buddy of mine a couple of years ago. Wow! Compared to a small block, it just pulls and pulls and pulls........all the way to the stripe and beyond! I won't go back to a sbc unless I build another FED. Then maybe.......
Johnny

THERATTLER
04-04-2009, 04:37 AM
SMALL BLOCK CHEVY----5 TO 6 THOUSAND
BLOWER SET UP--------3 TO 5 THOUSAND
SMALL BLOCK WITH BLOWER---PRICELESS :D

itsabird
04-04-2009, 05:49 AM
imo, some part's are cheaper for small block's, and they are light if you are concerned with weight, that being said, big block is the ticket, gotta have those cube's. jmo

Tod74
04-04-2009, 07:12 AM
thanks cause alot of my friends told me a would be dumb to waste my time on the big block but they're all small block and nothing but haha and do you know much about transmissions

your friends are stupid.

bowhay
04-04-2009, 01:31 PM
maybe ur just stupid tod

mytmouz
04-04-2009, 02:52 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/1.gif

Tod74
04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
maybe ur just stupid tod

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c274/allmatthew/SmallBoyCrying.jpg

bowhay
04-05-2009, 07:57 AM
no really
where the heck do u get off trying to tell my buddy and and my friends are stupid cus we dont like big blocks
heres a link for ya
see if u can still say small blocks suck after watchin it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VokqpLs0jQE

fla1976
04-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Personally, I like the small block for myself. It was alot easier to stuff it in the Vega than a BBC. If you doubt the power of a small block you should do a little research on Rick Santos. He competed with the Hemi cars with a SBC. For ease of making power though you have to hand it to the BBC. Since it is torque that gets the car off the line the big block has an advantage.

Tod74
04-05-2009, 10:18 AM
no really
where the heck do u get off trying to tell my buddy and and my friends are stupid cus we dont like big blocks
heres a link for ya

Learn to read.

Where did I say small blocks suck? I didn't.

:roll: :roll:

Tod74
04-05-2009, 10:23 AM
thanks cause alot of my friends told me a would be dumb to waste my time on the big block but they're all small block and nothing but haha and do you know much about transmissions.

That's why I said his friends were stupid.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings junior....lmao

I have friends that have killer small blocks....I never said a bad thing about them so go play in traffic

bowhay
04-05-2009, 07:21 PM
also if u knew what the application he was lookin for was
u would realize that for him....building a bigblock would be stupid

he has a 92 gmc half ton
he lookin for a good street rod
that he can build and not spend alot of money builing
somehtin like 450 horse

so u can go suck on somethin

dparker
04-05-2009, 08:31 PM
no really
heres a link for ya

Well Bowhay to bad you can't prove your point with your own car and have to use someone else's. Have your SBC outrun this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vxiio9sFRY
If I had to guess your SBC won't whip its way out of a wet paper sack.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink:

dparker
04-05-2009, 08:49 PM
i have a problem. i have a 454 and a 350 but i don't know which a should build up any suggestions?

txhunter69, IMO there isn't that much difference in price for a 500 hp build up. What I would look at is if you have a light car or don't plan on building up your rearend, I'd build up a SBC. If you have a heavy vehicle and a descent rearend, I'd build a BBC. SBCs pull well but don't have a lot of torke. A BBC has more torke and even a stock hp BBC is already close to 500hp. Either way there is alot of HP parts available in our area for both, just don't get hung up on one or the other pick the one that best suits you........

Tod74
04-05-2009, 10:36 PM
also if u knew what the application he was lookin for was
u would realize that for him....building a bigblock would be stupid

he has a 92 gmc half ton
he lookin for a good street rod
that he can build and not spend alot of money builing
somehtin like 450 horse

so u can go suck on somethin

:lol: I'm still trying to figure out how someone(you) can get so upset about a off the cuff remark made on the internet by someone you have never met, and although it was made about you indirectly...the person (me) didn't know that. It's not like I said BOWHAY is stupid.You are acting like I insulted your mother or something. Big Block VS Small Block is like Ford vs Chevy...there will always be a debate no matter what. Personally I don't even care what he builds...
I'm guessing you are probably late teens maybe early 20's.
I think you need to grow up and get some thicker skin you big baby.

suicidebomb
04-06-2009, 03:32 AM
The old big block vs. small block controversy....... I get my feelings hurt, everytime the discussion comes up. :lol: :lol:

THERATTLER
04-06-2009, 04:29 AM
HELL , ALL MY FRIENDS ARE STUPID :shock: BUT I STILL LIKE THEM,,,IT MAKES ME LOOK SMART :D
I RUN SMALL BLOCKS FOR ONE REASON,,IT MAKES ME FEEL GOOD WHEN I BEAT A BIG INCHER,,I RUN JUST 355CI , THATS PRETTY BIG SINCE I CONVINCED MY WIFE THAT 4 INCHS IS EQUAL TO 8 INCHS , SO THAT MEANS THAT IT IS REALLY 710 INCHS :lol: :lol: :lol:

hammertime
04-06-2009, 04:39 AM
CI to $ is cheaper for a bb IMO

I've ran several small blocks, all the way upto 434.. and now upto 584CI BBC .. same money in both bb laughs at the small block I had ..

suicidebomb
04-06-2009, 04:46 AM
AWWW, now David, your big blocks just have a better sense of humor. :D

dparker
04-06-2009, 04:58 AM

I've ran several small blocks, all the way upto 434.. and now upto 584CI BBC .. same money in both bb laughs at the small block I had ..

The only difference is it takes a $20,000.00 chassis to coral the BB.......lol

Tod74
04-06-2009, 05:58 AM
no really
heres a link for ya

Well Bowhay to bad you can't prove your point with your own car and have to use someone else's. Have your SBC outrun this.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vxiio9sFRY
If I had to guess your SBC won't whip its way out of a wet paper sack.... :oops: :oops: :oops: :wink:

Are you suggesting that there is a chance that might not be him piloting that vette?

dparker
04-06-2009, 06:18 AM
I'd be surprised if he was even piloting the camera............................

I'm sure he's a good guy. But if everybody ran a SBC what would be the fun in out running each other. Everybody has to run what best fits them.

I don't know why he got offended about you saying txhunters friends were stupid, tx said his friends said he was dumb. Sounds like he can dish it out but can't take it. Geez... you where just sticking up for txhunter.

Tx, don't run what everybody else does, run what your heart tells you you'll enjoy the most. Hect build something and go out there and outrun your buddies. If you need any help you can PM me anytime. I'll be at Penwell(your home track)on the 18th of this month. I'll be pitted with my two dragsters and James's(from Odessa) 27 Altered.
Come look me up......

THERATTLER
04-06-2009, 06:20 AM
If you read his other posts you will see what he drives,,,not that there is anything wrong with chevy pick ups with cast crank , flat top pistons making 450HP, I think thats pretty amazing :D
I know,,,I probally need to go suck on something , too. :(

bowhay
04-06-2009, 07:03 AM
listen yall
i never told him that big blocks were bad
shoot im really good freinds with james son and james car is the baddest ass damn thing ive ever seen in my life
i just told him for the amount of money he wanted to spend a small block would be better
because that was my personal opinion
and if that being my opinion makes me stupid then i guess i am

and yea my pik up may not be the fastest thing on 4 wheels
but i chalange u to build a 1000$ small block that will beat it

suicidebomb
04-06-2009, 09:01 AM
Name your terms for surrender :P

Tod74
04-06-2009, 09:07 AM
listen yall
shoot im really good freinds with james son and james car is the baddest ass damn thing ive ever seen in my life
i just told him for the amount of money he wanted to spend a small block would be better

Dude..had I known his friends were also forum members NO WAY would I have made a comment like that. We don't generally flame each other on this board(except maybe in political threads)This isn't yellow bullet. This is a great board with a whole lot of good people that will always take the time to help you if they can. Sorry I offended you.

And It doesn't matter how fast or slow your truck is, nobody judges you on that stuff.

dparker
04-06-2009, 09:22 AM
listen yall

Dude..had I known his friends were also forum members NO WAY would I have made a comment like that. We don't generally flame each other on this board(except maybe in political threads)This isn't yellow bullet. This is a great board with a whole lot of good people that will always take the time to help you if they can. Sorry I offended you.

And It doesn't matter how fast or slow your truck is, nobody judges you on that stuff.

X2 for me to Bowhay, I really like to see you younger guy racing, ya'll are the future of dragracing. Just don't get offended so easy. Everybody here wants the best for you and will help you in anyway. Come on by on the 18th. I'd like to see you truck, eventhough I have a dragster now I'm still partial to trucks.
dparker

bowhay
04-06-2009, 12:08 PM
its all good guys
and yea i kinda feel like a dousch for takin it like i did but hey its all done so no biggy

hammertime
04-06-2009, 07:13 PM
AWWW, now David, your big blocks just have a better sense of humor. :D

It sure does from about 60ft on lol my sb would wall away from my bb if we raced to the 60ft but after that bb steam rolls

hammertime
04-06-2009, 07:14 PM

actually switched my 434 out for a 548 same car a few years ago, night and day, never should of spent that kinda coin on a sb :shock:

dparker
04-07-2009, 05:37 AM

actually switched my 434 out for a 548 same car a few years ago, night and day, never should of spent that kinda coin on a sb :shock:

Where are you racing next?

hammertime
04-07-2009, 06:09 AM

Where are you racing next?

I hope to make it to the track maybe this sunday if I can find something open but not sure yet. you been racing ?

onedragracer
04-07-2009, 02:13 PM

txhunter69, IMO there isn't that much difference in price for a 500 hp build up. What I would look at is if you have a light car or don't plan on building up your rearend, I'd build up a SBC. If you have a heavy vehicle and a descent rearend, I'd build a BBC. SBCs pull well but don't have a lot of torke. A BBC has more torke and even a stock hp BBC is already close to 500hp. Either way there is alot of HP parts available in our area for both, just don't get hung up on one or the other pick the one that best suits you........
Shut up parker. Hey txhunter, a sbc is much better, noway would I build a bbc. But you can drop the bbc off at my shop and I will put it to good use (got a eagle crank and BME aluminum rods that need a good home)

txhunter69
04-07-2009, 03:40 PM
well how much would you charge to give them a home cause a don't wana get rid of it :lol:

txhunter69
04-07-2009, 04:17 PM
and also aint that a lil contradictory you said you would never build a big block but you want mine lol jk :wink:

dparker
04-08-2009, 06:12 AM

Shut up parker. Hey txhunter, a sbc is much better, noway would I build a bbc. But you can drop the bbc off at my shop and I will put it to good use (got a eagle crank and BME aluminum rods that need a good home)

Now that's low, trying to take advantage of these younsters. Txhunter don't let onedragracer get your BBC parts. Have him build one for ya, he builds a mean BBC. Just don't listen on how to race from him. lol

txhunter69
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
haha ok but i think ima build it myself and a got quite a few racing freinds my buddies dad will proly help me hes a big block guru haha not positive but i think dparker knows him pretty well