PDA

View Full Version : 5/8 WHEEL STUDS

Tod74
08-09-2008, 01:01 AM
My car has always had the 5/8 studs.They were on the car when I bought it. The car has a 12 bolt with strange axles. Yesterday when I went to take the wheel off one of them started turning with the nut. I finally got the wheel off but the stud spins in the axle flange.I did not have time to take the brake drum off and give it a good look. My question is..are they pressed into the axle with a spline fit or threaded? How do I go about fixing this? I thought about just tack welding the back with a mig welder to get me by but I'm not sure if that would work (heat treated axle???) What are my options? I want to fix it the quickest easiest way that will get me by for now without screwing up the axle or being unsafe...I plan to put disc brakes on it over the winter so it will be apart then, so if the axle needs sent off to strange I'd rather wait til winter.

itsabird
08-09-2008, 04:56 AM
tod i don,t know about strange, i have moser axel, and they are threaded, the stud,s screw in, and has a jam nut on the back side,

us7race
08-09-2008, 05:42 AM
My strange screw in...They are less than 4 years old..

suicidebomb
08-09-2008, 05:45 AM
HI Tod, go ahead and pull the drum off, it could be that the jam nut has backed off, and you're just screwing the stud out of the flange. If it is, it's a easy fix. If the threads are stripped in the flange it might be tougher. Good luck.
Earl

johnracer
08-09-2008, 11:34 AM
Find the cause and fix it!! There's really no sane reason to put it off till winter.....

Tod74
08-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Find the cause and fix it!! There's really no sane reason to put it off till winter.....

I avoid the stink of gear oil like the plague. :lol:

johnracer
08-09-2008, 03:32 PM

OK, so maybe one sane reason....

lively
08-09-2008, 04:07 PM
YEAH--BLOOD/ MORPHINE AND HOSPITALS SMELL WORST!!!!!

TAKE IT APART AND FIX IT --PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!

LIVELY

Tod74
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
My main question was how to fix it. If it is stripped does it need to be sent to strange? are the flanges hardened?

suicidebomb
08-09-2008, 07:40 PM
I would think any machine shop would be able to fix it. I don't think the flanges are hardended, I've drilled mosers, no trick bits, low speed and a lot of oil. Did it on a mill though.

CNDRACER25
08-12-2008, 01:11 PM
WE RUN THESE IN OUR STOCKCARS AND WE JUST TACK THEM. WHEN THEY ARE DRILLED THEY TAKE A WEIRD SIZE BIT SO MOST PEOPLE JUST DRILL THEM TO A COMMON SIZE. JUST MAKE SURE THEY ARE STRAIGHT AND TIGHT BEFORE YOU TACK THEM. HOPE THIS HELPS

Tod74
08-12-2008, 02:47 PM
I looked at them a few minutes ago...the lock nuts had come loose. Mine does not have threads in the axle flange at all...just a hole. The stud has a very small shoulder to keep it from pulling through and there is a lock nut on back...not a nylon inserted nut but similar...has the splits in it with sort of a crimped edge. I am going to double nut them I think...or just get new nuts.

hotrodharley
08-12-2008, 05:04 PM
I looked at them a few minutes ago...the lock nuts had come loose. Mine does not have threads in the axle flange at all...just a hole. The stud has a very small shoulder to keep it from pulling through and there is a lock nut on back...not a nylon inserted nut but similar...has the splits in it with sort of a crimped edge. I am going to double nut them I think...or just get new nuts.

how about new nuts and some good strong loctate

Tod74
08-13-2008, 04:23 AM

how about new nuts and some good strong loctate

Probably the best bet. I figured the flange would be threaded and hard..that why I thought it was gona be a pain to get fixed.

I am on vacation next week gona try and get this turd going again...I posted before about us getting flooded in June...the car was jacked up in the front getting brakes at the time so the motor stayed dry barely(I think) but all the msd stuff is in the floorboard and it all was under water as was the fuel pump and the relays and the trans brake solenoid...two days after the flood it fired right up and all seemed well...now nothing works. :( I hot wired the fuel pump and it runs so I believe the relay is doo doo. So I tried to start it last night and it wouldn't fire a lick...so I assume the MSD box is shot too...so started checking things, the transbrake solenoid would not engage..normally hear it click when I push the button.I smacked it with a screwdriver handle and now it works...should I be concerned with this sticking at the track? I THINK it got wet based on how high the water got but the trans fluid does not look like anything got in the trans...Anybody ever have one stick before? I have never had a glide apart so I am hesitant to fool with it...should I pull it out and have it looked at or see what happens? I think this car will forever be an electrical gremlin after the flood...probably end up rewiring it later but right now I just want to get it out before the season is gone.

suicidebomb
08-13-2008, 05:17 AM
Hey Tod,
My TB solenoid didn't stick, but it shorted at the switch. So, as i went down track it was intermittantly applyin reverse. If I had any doubt about the solenoid I'd replace it. JMO, I pulled the tranny and went through it, never been into an auto trans before, so far so good, at least it worked on jackstands. I'll find out tonite if it works on the track. Good luck, my situation and yours are totally different, yours being an accident, mine being a brain malfunction.
Earl

olds48
08-17-2008, 03:56 PM

Not to be wierd...but I love that smell :oops:

Tod74
08-17-2008, 04:18 PM

Not to be wierd...but I love that smell :oops:

:?

lively
08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
NOW WE KNOW WHAT YOU DID WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER!!!!

LOL LOL :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

YOU IN THAT GEAR OIL AGAIN ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

LIVELY

Tod74
08-18-2008, 03:33 AM
How can anyone like the smell of gear oil? gross.

I can taste that stuff for HOURS after SMELLING IT

suicidebomb
08-18-2008, 05:39 AM
MMMMM...Tasty :P

olds48
08-18-2008, 01:48 PM
I dunno.I catch heck over it all the time,I just always liked it.Not for the reason that Lively is implying,either :lol: :lol:

Tod74
08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I dunno.I catch heck over it all the time,I just always liked it.Not for the reason that Lively is implying,either :lol: :lol:

yuck.