PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions here

Murff
10-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Getting ready to send my Enderle hat injection out to be flowed and set up for my engine changes for moving to methanol. I have trust in the shop doing the fuel system.

I will be having a custom grind solid roller cam done, I have trust in the cam grinder.

Fuel guy would like specs on the cam for setting flow and bypasses.

Cam guy says anyone asking for this info for setting up mechanical injection does not understand engines.

I have not informed fuel guy of cam guys comment.

I have my opinion. What's yours?

bjuice
10-09-2007, 03:54 PM
When you say FUEL GUY..do you mean the man setting you your injection?..clear me up here.

Brian

johnracer
10-09-2007, 03:55 PM
My opinion is that your cam & fuel guys do what they do because they're very good at it. Your cam guy knows cams. Your fuel guy knows fuel systems. Give your fuel guy the information he wants. He may or may not actually NEED it, but if he feels he does........just my opinion

gdmii
10-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Could be the fuel guy knows something the cam guy doesn't. :wink:

bjuice
10-09-2007, 04:00 PM
ok i figured it out on my own...Yes the info he is requesting can be used in properly setting up your injection...and the cam profile will make a world of difference how you fuel burns off.

there will be several areas your injection guy will deal with

1- Main jet
2- Nozzels
3- Barrell valve which is set up with a leakdown testor
4- feeler gage for the proper specs in setting the injector blades
5- if your running a high speed-bypass he will have to place the proper shims in that check valve

fom one injectionn guy to the other..i feel you cam guy doesn't know his injections from a hole in the wall..

my 2 cents...sorry for the brain fart on my last post.

Brian

Murff
10-09-2007, 04:02 PM
When you say FUEL GUY..do you mean the man setting you your injection?..clear me up here.

Brian

Yeppers, fuel guy is the human setting up the injection. Sorry for confusion.

I have never worked with either of these guys before but they are both highly regarded in their respective fields and both come highly recommended.

Cam guy won't cut loose details on the cam until order is actually placed and I won't be dropping the cam order for more than a month.

I want to get the fuel system done this month as his busy season starts in December - January and I would like to beat the rush.

Bit of a quandry, no?

Murff

bjuice
10-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Please keep Jim at ENDERLE INJECTION in mind if you get this thing and have problems..Jim is the man and can get you very close just by a phone call..trust me here MURFF...He worked wonders for me.

Brian

topsportsman1
10-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Murff
The cam guy most likely don't know what he's doing,I'd get another cam guy myself,the injection guy,I think I know who he is,am I correct?

PM me the cam guy I hope its not who I think it is.

johnracer
10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Well that is a pickle! I guess you could see if the cam guy would allow you to place the order and give him credit card info, and get the specs with the understanding that you won't expect to recieve the cam or the charge until next month......or find another cam guy that isn't so secretive

Murff
10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Well that is a pickle! I guess you could see if the cam guy would allow you to place the order and give him credit card info, and get the specs with the understanding that you won't expect to recieve the cam or the charge until next month......or find another cam guy that isn't so secretive

I think in this instance I'm going to shop a new grinder. I have a local guy that did a great job on my solid flat tappet cam and has done lots of work for many competitive racers in the area.

I just thought I would try going with one of the 'name' grinders this time.

The derogatory nature of the response that I got from cam guy when asking for him to talk to fuel guy leaves a pretty bad taste.

As was recently pointed out to me, it's my money and I can spend it how and with whomever I please.

I need all of my components to play nice with each other in my engine. Shouldn't be too much to ask the same of my vendors.

Murff

Racefab57
10-09-2007, 08:09 PM
THE GUY WITH THE MONEY HAS THE POWER MURF remember!!!!David.

Murff
10-10-2007, 01:42 PM
A follow up.

Sent email to cam guy thanking for response and indicating that I will not be engaging his company for this project.

I recieved what I consider to be a flame response that served no purpose other than to irritate me. My 1st reaction was to start typing "Dear M*****R F****R!"...

I thought better and I am not going to respond at all.

I will point out that I did not select this grinder via Racing Junk or any members. I also will not publicly flog this human as that just isn't right. If you think you need to know who this was then PM me.

But I proved to myself once again that first impressions are correct impressions.

And so it goes.

Murff

gdmii
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
A good short response to his email would be, "I see that I made the right decision." But you're right. Sometimes it's best to just say nothing at all.

George

edvancedengines
10-10-2007, 11:10 PM
PM me the cam guy I hope its not who I think it is.

LOL;)

This does become a delima far too often. Here is why. The really good custom cam guys are very secretive about what they are doing and why.

Crap' I basically design my own cams and still get this reaction when asking for any detailed specifics on lobe degrees of change per 1 deg of rotation, or any realy specifics which could help me immensly in setting up valvetrain. It was like me pulling a hen's teeth the other day, when I managed to get cam lobe opening and closing specks at .020 - .050 - .100 and at .200 . Shoot' most of those numbers I gave him from me, before the cam was cut. Of course they had been altered some after the computer modeling of it was done. I guess that is the secret.

That was all I could get and he was not happy just sharing that bit of info. It was not a matter of paying. I had the cam in my hand and another one ordered and they are not cheap by a long shot. He about had a hemmorage when I asked for a copy of that cam's F-1 File or C-6 File to be sent to a friend of mine that also has several hi tech pieces of cam and valvetrain software to use for us getting the exat correct springs for what we need.

I will not tell anyone who that company is, or besmudge their name though, becuase of them trying to keep their computer models as a secret. I still like the quality and I do love the cams.

Ed