PDA

View Full Version : DRY SUMP QUESTION ANSWERED.

bjuice
05-19-2007, 05:38 PM
Guys i dropped my pan tonight on the aluminum 632......i wanted to just check out the bottom end and verify a few things......

all the caps are billet..rods are crower titanium, JE pistons..the crank is a billet Sonny brayant crank...the cylinder walls looked great from what i could see of them...

the rear main had the oil pump provision..plus it was cast not billet
is there any reason for this ??...it was as if someone just took off the enternal oil pump and converted to a dry sump...cause the hole that the stud goes into was threaded and it had the dowl pin in place.......the spot for the external oil filer just has a adapter in place just like you would use for exernal oil filters...
i am calling Donovan Monday morning and see what they have to say as far as the oil pan and pump they recommend......i would not have considered converting to wet sump if i had to tear the bottom end down and line bore etc...but if its gonna be as ez as buying the parts..its a done deal..cause i got some spaced issues with this dry sump

Anyone out there got any ideas on anything else i should be looking for as an indication this can be converted to wet sump....

it looks to me this was a wet sump block that was converted to dry sump.

any ideas or opinion appreciated...
thanks brian

dcarr511
05-19-2007, 06:09 PM
hmmmm ... very interesting .....

I'm sure your answers will come easy from calling Donovan.

It does sound like it is a wet sump block converted to dry sump. If you want to find out on your own pull the rear main off and make sure you it has the galley going over to the filter boss. I will bet it does. Its probably plugged off under the main cap. If it was a dry sump block I dont think it would have the oil filter provision.

bjuice
05-19-2007, 06:18 PM
thanks Buddy i will do that tommorrow.......i am pretty excited about this.

is it common for the rear cap to be cast instead of steel like the rest of them?

brian

dcarr511
05-19-2007, 06:45 PM
is it common for the rear cap to be cast instead of steel like the rest of them?

brian

On a wet sump .... yes