PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers for street use

jjam
05-07-2007, 04:47 AM
I have a quite problem, I have a 63 Nova w/540 2-1/4 headers. I'm running the outlaw race mufflers on it now and it is too loud (103dB at 50' on idle). I'm asking what everyone run's on the the street, when needed I can remove the exahust at the track. I got the car running and took it around the block and later that night the cops were on my street looking for me. With the car being so loud it is hard to enjoy, need to get some real mufflers on it so I can drive it. Thanks for any help with this.

slowman
05-07-2007, 10:11 AM
jjam, i seen that cops were looking for you lol. if you lived were i live they would have just pulled into your driveway lol. any of the turbo mufflers will make it quieter then what you have. i have used flow masters 3 chambers for the street and dynomax turbo mufflers on big motors. i think both come in 3 1/2 no bigger. don't use anything that's streight through or you wont be happy. good luck

jbsjunk
05-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Flowmaster makes a nice 3 chamber, that should quiet it down some. I know a few places make weld on tabs to make removal easy. Do you have room for tailpipes, or just turndowns?

jjam
05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
well I ordered the Dynomax super turbo, I read where these will help keep the cop's from knocking on my door. If I can keep the pedal off the floor. LOL I'll give these a try, I'll let you know the new dB reading after the new install. Should have them on this weekend.

lookingaround
05-07-2007, 06:32 PM
i ran 3 inch single chamber flowmasters on my blazer dumped at the rear.sounded good and cops never bothered me.here is the ones i run
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j289/ProBlaze/FlowMasters.gif

fastbowtie
05-07-2007, 06:39 PM
I think he would need alittle more with that 540 :lol:

jjam
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
another question witht the turn downs or cut offs. Is it better to run them down facing the ground or out to the side with an angle to the ground? I remember old school and the dumps just pounded the ground, kicking up the dirt/dust.

fastbowtie
05-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Face them into one another and slightly down . Doing this will also quiet things down

henny
05-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Hello
Someone mentioned not to run straight thru mufflers , as in round ones??
I have an old vette(street/strip project) that is set up for side exhaust.....I cannot go under the car with my exhaust system
Am I in big trouble trying to get mufflers? Any reccomendations??
Tom

slowman
05-08-2007, 04:37 PM
henny that was me. the guy was trying to keep his car quieter and all the streight through mufflers are pretty loud. i have no idea about the vette i hope someone can shine some light on it for you. good luck sounds like your going to have a nice ride

henny
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello
Could two round mufflers be mounted end to end per side?? I have about 40 inches on each side
What is a good muffler for being quiet?
thanks
Tom

fastbowtie
05-08-2007, 05:21 PM
Bolara Bullits work great . Make sure that you ad 12 to 18 inches after it helps quiet them alot.

lively
05-08-2007, 05:40 PM
I FOUND THAT THE FARTHER BACK YOU PUT THE MUFFLERS THE QUIETER IT WILL BE- MY 2 CENTS 8) 8)

novassx
05-08-2007, 11:34 PM
Great Post! I need to buy mufflers? My headers are 2 1/4" to a 4" collector, then I was thinking of a Flow Master Race muffler, 3 1/2 in/out and the body is 4". I'll put the muffler as far back as I can get with a side exit in front of the rear wheels. 540 Camaro street, strip motor. Too loud?
Thanks Gerald.

slowman
05-09-2007, 08:14 AM
nova ss, we/i run them on the brothers nova with a procharged 555 we had to double them up for the street. when we got to the track we took 1 set off and ran. reinstall the second set and the car never slowed down. you should check out DR GAS WEB SITE they have oval pipe to clear the bottom of the car were useing the pipe that would be the same size as 4" the stuff is very nice. good luck

henny
05-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello Slowman
I tried to copy and paste the website that you spoke of, but nothing came up related to exhauust systems
Any info is appreciated
thanks
Tom

fastbowtie
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Here is the website

http://www.drgas.com/store/home.php

I have used several of their products Awsome stuff 8)
Spin Tech mufflers have A killer sound

henny
05-09-2007, 05:24 PM
Hello Fast Bowtie
Thanks very much for the link, I appreciate the info
take care
Tom

cepx111
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I have run the purple horneys header muffs on my 71 nova with a 468 race motor and had no problems with the law unless I really flogged it, then it was loud but at an idle or crusing it sounded wicked but not loud, granted I didnt drive this car on the street much but that was probably a good thing cause when you have that much power your foot can get you in some big troulble loud or not.

jjam
05-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Well just to let everyone know. I went with the Dynomax Super Turbo 3" I bought the slip-on reducer from the 4" to 3" ran 3" pipe to the mufflers and with the turn-downs angle down and out. What a world of difference. I rechecked the dB's on the car and it went from 103dB to 85dB at 50', I know the mufflers are new and will get some what louder after some use. But like I said a world of difference. Now I can enjoy the car, and when needed at the track can change out exhaust. Thanks for everyone's help. :D

triplexdogg08
05-16-2007, 09:51 AM
There is also a muffler called WARLOCK made by flowtech where you have 2 exits and one is for street and one is for the track so you can run straight pipes . there is a plate you switch from side to side. they make them from 2 1/4 to 3" there about 69.00 each part number big-50560flt good luck