This project started out as a 1999 Ford E450 Ambulance with the highly sought after 7.3 litre POWERSTROKE diesel. It had been kept inside and had 95,000 miles on the odometer (CURRENTLY 121,000) and had been professionally maintained by an Ambulance Company. If you’re serious about a high quality expedition vehicle and don’t have the $500,000+ to buy the one of your dreams --- this is an outstanding option for us mere mortals.
The 4x4 conversion was done by UJOINT OFF ROAD (http://www.ujointoffroad.com/) in Fletcher, North Carolina. Following is the work done on the drive train and suspension and bumper/winch combo:
• 4x4 conversion – including Stage 2 Dana 60 Front axle and Dana 80 rear axle
• Custom 6” Suspension lift – heavy duty leaf springs front and rear (Air Bags have been removed)
• On Board Air System for the bags and plumbed to air fitting front and rear.
• Aluminium Front Bumper
• 16.5K Warn winch
• Sway bars
• Electronic Ratio Adapter
• NV271 Transfer Case
• Transmission rebuild/4x4 Conversion
• Major upgrade on Tire and Wheels. Tires are G load rating and 19.5 wheels are built to take the weight.
• Bilstein shocks with reservoir front and rear
• Dual Rear Wheels for best stability
Interior conversion was a major project. We left most of the cabinets in place that came with the ambulance and integrated the dinette/bed and other cabinets with them for a first class result. The beauty of starting with an ambulance is the quality of the build is incredible. They spare nothing to build a quality unit that’s more solid than any typical RV. The entire box is double wall aluminium and all cabinets on the inside are an integral part of the body. There’s virtually no flex or rattle at all. The outside storage compartments are huge and allow you to take all the gear you need for a serious adventure. We had all systems installed professionally and everything works well when out in the rough or plugged in at RV park. Here’s the list
• Water System – 65 gallons in custom stainless steel tank with small grey water tank
• Propane system for stove, heater and water heater as well as plumbed to outside compartment for outdoor cooking
• Porta Potti – slides in and out of living area
• Fold out shower in rear. Customer design – works great.
• Yamaha 3000 generator
• 3 HUGE Deka 8D batteries (this is in ADDITION to the two 1000 CCA batteries wired separate for engine start)
• 4000 watt inverter
• Sink and stove inside
• Instant hot water system
• Dinette / bed conversion with storage
• One IndelB 50 litre 12 v refrigerator
• One National Luna 74 litre refrigerator/ freezer – very low draw. This unit is used in Africa for safari. By far the best available.
• TWO shade awnings --- one on passenger side and one on back to cover the shower.
In addition – the fuel injection harness and fuel injectors have been gone through and replaced where needed. All computer sensors that tend to go bad have been replaced as preventive maintenance. This rig was prepared for a serious adventure through Mexico and Central America and now I have to return to New Zealand without getting to take this trip. I can’t tell you how bummed I am to have to sell this baby. I’ve been working on it for 2 years to get it ready and now I’m heading back down under before I realized my dream adventure. My loss is your gain. Only serious buyers please.