Canadian Bank Cashiers check?

Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Default Canadian Bank Cashiers check?

I have a buyer for a carburetor I have. He is in Canada. I stated in my ad I do not have Paypal but will take a POSTAL SERVICE money order. He and I made a deal. He said he would get a money order. I replied to make sure it was a POSTAL SERVICE money order. I expected to get a UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE money order or a CANADIAN POSTAL SERVICE money order in US dollars. He sent a express envelope and paid extra to get it here fast. What I got was a check in my name on the ROYAL BANK OF CANADA/JP MORGANBANK Syracuse, NY.

I tried to cash the check, but was told I had to deposit it and wait till it cleared. But the bank said they could not tell when it would clear. My bank called the bank it was drawn on, but they would not verify it over the phone. And there are no JP MORGAN banks near to take it to.

So I did not send the carb. I have contacted him to proceed.

My question is, has anyone handled a similar situation or heard of any checks on this bank that were not good?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:34 PM
mytmouz
RACING JUNKIE

I sold a cowl hood to a gentleman in Canada a few years back and got a cashiers check. I told them I would ship 5 business days AFTER the funds cleared my bank, to be sure there was nothing fishy. I got mine, then they got theirs...
Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM
bixblk
DYNO OPERATOR

Mark This internet is a two sided sword, good chance he never would have known your carb was for sale, but he found out thru the internet. But this causes us to do busniess differently. You need to sit on that carb till you are confident the funds have cleared. I did sell a 350.00 part to a guy in Canada, he did need it quickly also,I never spoke to him.But had text communications, I explained that all funds had to clear,my bank did call his bank,verified him as a customer, but did not qualify the funds.It did clear fine but it took 4 weeks
Old 08-18-2014, 07:10 PM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Ok, we worked it out. I returned the check to him and he is getting an INTERNATIONAL Postal Service money order, which any POST OFFICE will cash. At least that is how it is supposed to go. When I have cash I will report back.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:21 PM
BigBlockMark
MASTER BUILDER

Just wanted to update the Canadian deal. I got a Canadian Postal money order today. Took it to my Post Office. It took them about 1/2 hour to do whatever checking they needed to, and then they cashed without any issue. I have UPS'ed the carburetor today to New York for pick up there. As long as he gets it alright we are done with the deal.